Eric Atreides

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Bremner's schedule is heating up as he is also writing National Treasure 3 for Disney, among other projects. That project is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, who is also the producer behind Bad Boys for Life. He is repped by Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/bad-boys-4-works-1269915?__twitter_impression=true

Related image

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Shocker for Bad Boys. Didn't expect those numbers at all and feared the worst about Will Smith's pulling power in an action film following Gemini Man, but it looks like he has the potential for a great year and this film for a great run. Obviously nice to see the profile increases for Martin Lawrence and Joe Pantoliano as well.

But among the rest of it its just a great start to Sony in what is shaping up to be a bit of a wildcard year after last years batch of Disney sure-things. The competition is so important.

• Like 2

Holy shit if BB3 can get close to 70M 4-day. Honestly I'll temper my expectations a bit and try and expect somewhere closer to 60 before we get final Friday #s. But given the dead schedule for the next 2-3 weeks, I could see it making 2.4-2.6x its 4-day considering how well-liked it appears to be (and how non-frontloaded it's been so far if early Friday numbers are any indication) aka 140-180 domestic total.... yea I see Blart going down @Eric Dolittle

And if Dolittle can actually get close to 30M for the 4-day, I would say Downey can still command those huge checks in the future. No way would a critically-panned, low-excitement, horribly-marketed movie like this be making 30M over the weekend if it wasn't for Downey. Could feasibly see a 70M domestic total for it if these #s hold.

Kind of disappointed in 1917 to be honest. Was hoping it could reach 30M for the 4-day given the momentum. Looks like holds are a bit more conventional than I was hoping. Oh well, a 120-130M total would still be great for it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the Bad Boys directors are also directing Beverly Hills Cop 4 for Netflix with Eddie Murphy. Wonder thanks to Bad Boys's success and Eddie Murphy back in the spotlight  if they would consider making BHC4 a theatrical release 

It is Netflix.  They are definitely not making BHC4 a real theatrical release 

• Thanks 1

I'm bored and killing time before I see Little Women a second time (God is it good), but I decided to look at the biggest movies for each month after mentioning BB might beat Blart, and this is what I found:

January: Paul Blart: Mall Cop (11 years)

February: Black Panther (2 years)

March: Beauty and the Beast (3 years)

April: Avengers: Endgame (1 year)

May: The Avengers (8 years)

June: Jurassic World (5 years)

July: The Lion King (1 year)

August: Guardians of the Galaxy (6 years)

September: It (3 years)

October: Joker (1 year)

November: Frozen II (1 year)

December: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (5 years)

It'll be interesting to see which one of these get toppled in the next couple years. As of now, feel like The Batman and Black Panther 2 feel like the most possible victors, but even those are arguably long shots and really depend on their marketing. And I guess maybe one of the Avatar sequels if people really go bonkers for #2. The inevitable Harry Potter 9 might even get there depending on where it lands on the calendar.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

I'm bored and killing time before I see Little Women a second time (God is it good), but I decided to look at the biggest movies for each month after mentioning BB might beat Blart, and this is what I found:

It'll be interesting to see which one of these get toppled in the next couple years. As of now, feel like The Batman and Black Panther 2 feel like the most possible victors, but even those are arguably long shots and really depend on their marketing. And I guess maybe one of the Avatar sequels if people really go bonkers for #2. The inevitable Harry Potter 9 might even get there depending on where it lands on the calendar.

Holy hell Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be 6 years old this year :ohmygod: 

• Astonished 1

34 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

Hmm, only 4/12 months, shameful. At least April and Feb should be safe for a long while.    

Those are all pretty solid defending champions tbh, I don’t see much to challenge any of them coming up. BP2 would need a sick DOM hold, if it even stays in May, obviously 0 chance in April. I guess the lowest months aside from Jan are:

Aug 333M

Sep 327M 

Oct 334+Oscar boost

Nov 485ish   

The MCU keeps taking swings in Nov, but F2 numbers are a big ask for those. If Oct 2022 is Gotg3 or CM2 that’d do the trick, AM3 or Blade not so much.    

Also Adjusted seems to be (2018 $):

Jan 101 Doggos 910M

Feb Black Panther 694M 

Mar Sound of Music 1.3B

Apr Endgame 867M 

May Star Wars 1.62B

Jun E.T. 1.29B

Jul Forrest Gump 715M

Aug Mary Poppins 711M 

Sep Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 642M 

Oct 10 Commandments 1.2B

Nov Ben-Hur 890M

Dec GwtW 1.84B

With the caveat that several of those movies have the bulk of their gross from runs the began in other months entirely. So you could also try to look at the biggest adjusted single run per month, but that seemed a hassle.    

Anyway I was a bit surprised to find that 2 of them are also the unadjusted monthly winner, 0 would have been a very plausible result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Dolittle said:

The best movie of all time is already 5 years old damn ...

• Disbelief 1

Like everyone else, I'm kinda floored by how huge Bad Boys is shaping up to be. I figured it would just be an okay performer, not a massive breakout. I guess the nostalgic fondness for the previous movies is still potent.

• Like 2

Lol, typical that I have to use 2018 $ since 2019 isn’t available yet, and 2019 ATP drops an hour later: https://deadline.com/2020/01/movie-ticket-sales-2019-decline-domestic-box-office-1202834469/  

rose by just .5%, 9.11 to 9.16, quite low by historical standards. Very curious how 2020 ATP will go.