Eric Atreides

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Wow how horrible will 2020 be domestically ouch. Impressed with international though

Thinking at least a 5% gross dip, given a pretty modest ATP growth would be first year below 1.2B admits since 1992. Could go under 1992, but I think it can at least beat 1991.   

Not in admits per capita of course, that'll be the lowest since 1980 easily, probably ever.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Wow how horrible will 2020 be domestically ouch. Impressed with international though

I mean, we literally just had Bad Boys 3 do a $70M 4 day OW, like I’m not denying it’ll likely see a dip from 2019 but I do think the hits will be more widespread. 

• Like 11

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I mean, we literally just had Bad Boys 3 do a $70M 4 day OW, like I’m not denying it’ll likely see a dip from 2019 but I do think the hits will be more widespread. 

I agree - we lamented the dearth of $200-$300M movies last year...this year, we might be rolling in them by the end of the year:)...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

The thing about 200-300M movies is... they're worth half of a 400-600 movie 😛 

The top 3 movies from 2015 (SW7+ JW+ AoU) was way higher than 2016 ( R1+FD + CW) by 600m.

But that doesn't stop 2016 from grossing higher than 2015   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The top 3 movies from 2015 (SW7+ JW+ AoU) was way higher than 2016 ( R1+FD + CW) by 600m.

But that doesn't stop 2016 from grossing higher than 2015   

Yep, 2016 was 430M worse in the top 5, but had great middle strength and lead by almost 700M for the rest of movies.   

2020 will lag by a lot more than that in the top 5 and I don’t really see the lower movies being particularly strong. I mean, maybe everything pleasantly overperforms, but in the average case...

Edited by Arendelle Legion

Dolittle numbers have shown RDJ has star power. Other wise movie with horrible PS and reviews would have tanked big time. Now its OW looks good though its not gonna recover financially from its BO earnings(very few movies anyway do that). I wont be surprised if studio looks at a sequel hopefully with better director/script. 

Bad Boys breaking out huge. I still dont have final numbers yet(my scrapper is very slow) but walk ins are excellent. At Empire even late shows are almost sold out. 

I am curious how oscar nominees are doing including 1917. Early numbers for holdovers are not relevant. 

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

Bonkers to think about it. MLK weekend has always frustrated me since the studios dont generally drop anything that can be big, rare exceptions of course, I mean Cloverfield was that way back in the day and of course Sniper did the big bad with the record but still, its nuts to think of BB3 making this much in January. I love it. 

If 70-75m 4-day really happen...with the strong WOM and weak competition ahead, this thing could challenge 200m. That's Bond/Mission Impossible territory and ahead of the last Fast & Furious or John Wick movies. 

• Like 2

Related image

23 Million OD? 

These Bad Boys numbers are just amazing, everything is just lining up for it after all these years and the long wait.   Audiences are responding very well to the movie.  Can't wait to see the final numbers but we could be looking at one of the Biggest MLK Weekends Openings of All Time.  

• Like 1