baumer

Bad Boys For Life (2020)

Edify us  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Was definitely missing that Bayhem level chase featured in Bad Boys II, but I was pleasantly surprised by the level of personal stakes in the movie. Did feel a bit too long and was a bit disappointed in the amount of CGI towards the end. Hopefully the next one gets a budget bigger enough to allow for more practical action in the climax.

I didn’t hate the film at all. Most of the action worked and the humor worked as well.

I’ll say this: In Bad Boys II, when Tapia reveals he’s taken Syd hostage, Marcus says “shit just got real” to Mike. In Bad Boys for Life, when Mike says the bad guys are his ex and his son, I said “shit just got real” to myself.

B+

Edited by Jay Beezy

A big step up from the chaotic mess that was the previous movie and on the same level as the original from 1995. Nothing deep here but it's two hours of slickly made action, nice Miami scenery, and enjoyable chemistry among the cast (Will Smith proves he's lost none of his charisma over the years and Martin Lawrence gets most of the movie's best lines). Good stuff if throwaway January fare is what you're looking for at the multiplex. B-

25 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Me during the bad guy is Mike's son reveal

giphy.gif

lmao my friend actually turned to me and said "you gotta be shitting me" during that reveal. I had to laugh.

• Like 1

Not quite the masterpiece of cinema that Bad Boys 2 was, but this managed to pack a surprising amount of fun energy and provided some unexpected emotional beats in there that I genuinely was not expecting. Smith and Lawrence are amazing together as always. Joe Pantoliano in these movies is my spirit animal. It's a pleasantly fun start to the year of 2020 at the movies for me.

B

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The Smith's son reveal stuff was too much imo and I didn't really buy into it. But the action was pretty great, and Smith and Lawrence did really great together. Overall really great first 2 acts, with a third act that went a bit too far.

I actually jumped and put my hands to my mouth when the captain died. Also, was that a Michael Bay cameo during the wedding? I also liked that right after Vanessa Hudgens was introduced Smith calls them (something along the lines of) "High school musical bullshit"

Mediocre. 10+ years they had this in development and now after the spectacular dipshit orgy of death and destruction that was Bad Boys II we get this anonymously directed sentimental old man fantasy in which 50-something bad boys prove their worth to millennials. Doesn't even have any real fun with the ridiculous melodrama. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Mediocre. 10+ years they had this in development and now after the spectacular dipshit orgy of death and destruction that was Bad Boys II we get this anonymously directed sentimental old man fantasy in which 50-something bad boys prove their worth to millennials. Doesn't even have any real fun with the ridiculous melodrama. 

Haven't seen this yet but pretty much what I expected. I'm guessing removing everything that made Bad Boys 2 so awesome (am rewatching it right now on Netflix and the movie still works better than 90% of moden day blockbusters) made it an easier sell to audiences and critics.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Haven't seen this yet but pretty much what I expected. I'm guessing removing everything that made Bad Boys 2 so awesome (am rewatching it right now on Netflix and the movie still works better than 90% of moden day blockbusters) made it an easier sell to audiences and critics.

Exhibit #3657 in everything wrong with current studio movies.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

It would've been impossible for this to have the same sort of crazy stuff from the previous movie given it's been nearly two decades and both Smith and Lawrence are now in their fifties (even if Smith appears to have not aged a day since).

Surprisingly loved this. I was worried it would be a significant step down from the awesome Bad Boys 2, but it exceeded my expectations (2 is still the best though). Action wasn't bad, but was more on the level of 1 than 2. The story, though not original, was surprisingly heartfelt and Smith and Lawrence are still in great form.

Honestly I thought the son reveal was good. It made perfect sense to me considering the kind of character Mike is, and it added a nice layer of personal stakes to the conflict. That helped overshadow how generic the final act action was. Hopefully BB4 will up the spectacle to BB2 level while keeping the solid emotional hooks of this one.

Edited by Menor

Saw this a week ago! Not as good as Bad Boys II. But I still really enjoyed this one! The action was good especially the biker scene or the final showdown. I also kinda like the father son aspect near the end and how this one made Will Smith’s character more adult and responsible this time around. Definitely one id add to my dvd/Blu-ray collection when it hits!

grade: B