filmlover

Amsterdam | David O. Russell | October 7, 2022 | Christian Bale to star | 20th Century Studios

11 hours ago, Noctis said:

Even JLaw? J-Law is easily the best of the three mentioned, and both Stone and Robbie are very good. 

I don't see Robbie pulling off a role like Emma's in La La Land or Birdman. Or JLaw's in Silver Linings/mother!, not saying she's a bad actress or anything but still.

Edited by Saul Goodman

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I disagree entirely on JLaw being better than Stone.

She hasn't yet given a performance that exceeded Jennifer in mother!

Stone is obviously a brilliant actress and we're comparing two of the most gifted performers of their generation...but Lawrence is the best IMO.

Stone and Lawrence aren't comparable because Stone hasn't received the level of dramatic opportunities as JLaw and JLaw hasn't received the level of comedic opportunities as Stone.

I didn't realize it until she pointed it out in her Vogue YouTube interview but it's wild that Lawrence hasn't gotten a comedic role that fully utilized her public persona. DOR's misogynist "crazy lady" caricatures don't count.

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Stone and Lawrence aren't comparable because Stone hasn't received the level of dramatic opportunities as JLaw and JLaw hasn't received the level of comedic opportunities as Stone.

I didn't realize it until she pointed it out in her Vogue YouTube interview but it's wild that Lawrence hasn't gotten a comedic role that fully utilized her public persona. DOR's misogynist "crazy lady" caricatures don't count.

JLaw's next studio movie is a comedy (No Hard Feelings) so that might open the door for more lighthearted vehicles for her if it succeeds.

The $80M New Regency Russell all-star Amsterdam faces an uphill battle. There are aggressive tracking estimates out there of $12M-$15M, however, look for around $10M after the pic’s poor reviews of 28% Rotten on Rotten Tomatoes.

Box Office: Will Margot Robbie ‘Amsterdam’, Constance Wu ‘Lyle, Lyle Crocodile’ Be Beat By ‘Smile’ – Deadline

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The $80M New Regency Russell all-star Amsterdam faces an uphill battle. There are aggressive tracking estimates out there of $12M-$15M, however, look for around $10M after the pic’s poor reviews of 28% Rotten on Rotten Tomatoes.

Box Office: Will Margot Robbie ‘Amsterdam’, Constance Wu ‘Lyle, Lyle Crocodile’ Be Beat By ‘Smile’ – Deadline

The final line feels like a defeated Anthony. Hopefully Lyle saves him.

Why would you give David O. Russell even $60 million (assuming costs climbed due to Covid) for a movie? I get Hollywood being cynical enough to still do business with the man after Me Too, but I would've been less surprised if they'd only given him the budget for something small-scale and contemporary, i.e. Silver Linings Playbook on a budget.

• Like 2

Yeah $80m is insane. Way higher than I would've thought

I think a big part of the reason is that the movie was like a month or 2 away from shooting BEFORE Covid. So my guess is they had locations scouted (in Boston I believe), maybe even sets built, whatever. Then the world shut down and they actually started production like a year later. I bet that cost them like $10m straight up, and then shooting started during covid pre-vaccine so that probably incurred another few millions of dollars.

Regardless, the original budget was still probably like $60m? Stupid

I've said it before I'll say it again, American Hustle had 5 bonafide movie stars in the leading roles and the sets and costumes were just as glamorous or expensive to create, Amsterdam has maybe 2 big movie stars. I don't get how this cost twice as much as AH. Ridiculous. If im Disney, I don't let that number go out. This is gonna be embarrassing 

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 5:18 PM, Noctis said:

She hasn't yet given a performance that exceeded Jennifer in mother!

Stone is obviously a brilliant actress and we're comparing two of the most gifted performers of their generation...but Lawrence is the best IMO.

Have you seen netflix's miniseries "Maniac"? Emma is playing a variation of the same character transported into different movie genres (from noir to fantasy, to hard boiled etc...) and her acting there is SUPERB. Way better than any performance from Jennifer Lawrence. 

I think Emma is the most gifted  actress of her generation.  JLaw is also great in the right roles, and so is Scarlett Johansson (who is a bit older though); Margot is extremely gorgeous but not in the same league as these three. She is just good enough for most roles, like Anya Taylor Joy.

That being said, I do expect Margot to finally get a mega hit (after her terrible streak of flops) with Barbie. I used to think Babylon would be a great hit too, but judging from what we've seen so far it will probably play poorly with the general audiences. 

Ronan + Pugh + Nyong'o > Edgar Jones + Taylor Joy + FJones > Stone, Jessica Rothe, Lahsanna Lynch, Zendaya, Weaving, Larson, ScarJo & Chan > JLaw + Emmanuel + Liz Olsen + Robbie.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:24 PM, Saul Goodman said:

I don't see Robbie pulling off a role like Emma's in La La Land or Birdman. Or JLaw's in Silver Linings/mother!,

JLaw didn't pull off JLaw's role in mother!

Silver Linings is a bit of baseline naturalism, an audition standard, pretty much every actress named above could have done it well.

La La Land, Cruella and The Favourite are all operating at a higher level of difficulty than anything the other two have done - apart from mother! (failed attempt) and maybe that horror film JLaw did.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose