filmlover

Amsterdam | David O. Russell | October 7, 2022 | Christian Bale to star | 20th Century Studios

Is this thing currently filming?   Wonder if Bale is going to be a mostly-CG character for THOR -- I have to assume that he is going into that right after this, as that is already shooting as well...and he's called "The God Butcher"...so wouldn't he need to be, like, seriously ripped?  

Yes, I know he's done the rapid transformation before, but yeah, that can't be good for your health...

Edited by Macleod

On 2/6/2021 at 5:33 PM, Macleod said:

Is this thing currently filming?   Wonder if Bale is going to be a mostly-CG character for THOR -- I have to assume that he is going into that right after this, as that is already shooting as well...and he's called "The God Butcher"...so wouldn't he need to be, like, seriously ripped?  

Yes, I know he's done the rapid transformation before, but yeah, that can't be good for your health...

It is. Pretty sure it was confirmed a while back that Bale was playing a mo-cap CGI character (or will be buried under a lot of makeup) in Thor so it won't be much of a transition between projects.

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This movie and O. Russell are absolutely fucked next awards season. His abusive set behavior will definitly be brought up and unlike Scott Rudin, they can't just remove Russell's name from this.

Having a controversial POS director attached (the narrative that he was fired didn't matter when he made almost the entire movie) didn't stop Bohemian Rhapsody from making all the money and winning a bunch of awards. Although this will presumably be a harder sell and will appeal to a much more limited audience than a Queen biopic.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:16 PM, filmlover said:

Having a controversial POS director attached (the narrative that he was fired didn't matter when he made almost the entire movie) didn't stop Bohemian Rhapsody from making all the money and winning a bunch of awards. Although this will presumably be a harder sell and will appeal to a much more limited audience than a Queen biopic.

But Singer was fired, they could point to that as "proof" they didn't condone his behavior and trot out the new unproblematic director, before pivoting to the surviving members of Queen on the campaign trail and bringing up the memory of Freddie Mercury as much as possible. Whatever this movie is about, it won't be able to invoke anything as powerful as Queen nostalgia as a distraction from its issues.

Maybe it helps that Lily Tomlin doesn't seem to have any lingering hard feelings toward Russell, but there are other stars who have definitely had negative things to say about how he treats people on set. It's not a secret, it didn't happen behind closed doors, they can't claim they had no idea. Still, I would be surprised if it goes as far as everyone who's made a movie with David O being badgered into apologizing for it, a la Woody Allen. I guess it depends on how brutal the inevitable Hollywood Reporter/Variety/etc exposé is.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2021 at 10:33 PM, Macleod said:

The God-Butcher character assuming he looks as he does in the comics is humanoid but pretty fantastical looking. I would be shocked if he was not rendered via mocap, particularly given Marvel's experience with the tech. 

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I can take or leave O'Russell, but he does manage to put together insane casts.

I'm not surprised all top talent want to work with him. His movies are very good. American Hustle was fantastic. I expect this movie to be an awards player

Edited by Maggie

3 hours ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Too bad her chase will yet again be fruitless

She will come through and win just like she always does. Insane she started in 2006 and still going stronger than ever.

@lorddemaxus nothing to laugh at.  She has kept herself at the top for over 14 yrs when most pop star just fizzle out.

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Good to see she hasn't given up on chasing Oscar gold after Tom Hooper miserably failed her, I guess.

I'm just surprised Taylor would sign on to a David O. Russell movie, given her image. It's such an obvious #TimesUp situation waiting to happen, he hasn't promoted a movie since 2015 and the climate has changed a lot since then. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I'm just surprised Taylor would sign on to a David O. Russell movie, given her image. It's such an obvious #TimesUp situation waiting to happen, he hasn't promoted a movie since 2015 and the climate has changed a lot since then. 

Hoping she only has cameo and addresses this situation. We want musical from her. She can write excellent musical.

Edited by Madhuvan