filmlover

Amsterdam | David O. Russell | October 7, 2022 | Christian Bale to star | 20th Century Studios

Damn, Ehrlich's review was painful to sit through. Other than the fact that it seems to be a criticism of David O Russell as a person/director (very, very valid), he really said a whole lot of nothing about the movie itself lol.

Oh, and used it to take cheap film-Twitter-esque shots (Malek, DeNiro). Which is fine for film Twitter, but it really felt like that was seeping into what's supposed to be a "professional" review. Ony think that was missing was a Peter Farrelley crack :lol:  (again, maybe valid, but beside the point, it felt more like a rant than a review).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Damn, Ehrlich's review was painful to sit through. Other than the fact that it seems to be a criticism of David O Russell as a person/director (very, very valid), he really said a whole lot of nothing about the movie itself lol.

Oh, and used it to take cheap film-Twitter-esque shots (Malek, DeNiro). Which is fine for film Twitter, but it really felt like that was seeping into what's supposed to be a "professional" review. Ony think that was missing was a Peter Farrelley crack :lol:  (again, maybe valid, but beside the point, it felt more like a rant than a review).

Why are people oddly defending this clearly terrible movie? 

I defend the theatrical experience harder than anyone, especially for original adult pictures, but this is clearly a bad movie. Yeah, DOR's stigma will dip into the reviews, but again, this movie isn't good

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why are people oddly defending this clearly terrible movie? 

I defend the theatrical experience harder than anyone, especially for original adult pictures, but this is clearly a bad movie. Yeah, DOR's stigma will dip into the reviews, but again, this movie isn't good

I’m... not defending the movie. I’m criticizing a poor review. Not because I disagree with the critic’s opinion of the movie (I for one am only going to watch it if I have friends who want to see it, it’s not something I’m going out of my way for). 

Criticizing a criticism isn’t the same thing as defending the thing that the person is criticizing (that’s a weird sentence lol).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

I’m... not defending the movie. I’m criticizing a poor review. Not because I disagree with the critic’s opinion of the movie (I for one am only going to watch it if I have friends who want to see it, it’s not something I’m going out of my way for). 

Criticizing a criticism isn’t the same thing as defending the thing that the person is criticizing (that’s a weird sentence lol).

How is it a poor review? Because it mentions DOR's reputation? Why would his manic personality not be relevant to discussions about his filmmaking? this isn't the first time a director's background and context was mentioned in a review

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It’s already annoying. It was nowhere up until that premiere last week and now it’s flooding my social media. 

It looks so unappealing

I’ve seen so many Ads and I still have no clue what it’s about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Halba said:

Terrible. Im so over Margot Robbie. 

Biggest awards season critical flop in the past decade.

I expected better from David O Russell.

She's stunning but she doesn't have the range of Emma Stone or even JLaw. She just plays the same variation of characters, even in Babylon it looks like she's playing a version of Harley/Sharon from OUATIH.

11 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

She's stunning but she doesn't have the range of Emma Stone or even JLaw. She just plays the same variation of characters, even in Babylon it looks like she's playing a version of Harley/Sharon from OUATIH.

Even JLaw? J-Law is easily the best of the three mentioned, and both Stone and Robbie are very good.