YM!

2021 Box office Discussion

7 hours ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Little Mermaid for November 2021? Is there a Disney animated film coming out for thanksgiving already? 3 films on one month is a lot for Disney 

They dated a movie for November 19, 2021 not too long ago so I imagine they're setting things up so The Little Mermaid takes it (makes sense since they get the holiday legs plus are probably positioning for it some awards given Rob Marshall's success with their previous two collaborations, especially at the Golden Globes). There's gonna likely be some shuffling around the next time they set release dates since they've already set so many for yet-to-be-named movies in advance it's safe to say some of them aren't happening.

Speaking of which, David Lowery's Peter Pan looks to be finally coming together as it's to begin shooting in April so that's likely to be a 2021 release, either for July 30 or October 8. Most likely the former.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

They dated a movie for November 19, 2021 not too long ago so I imagine they're setting things up so The Little Mermaid takes it (makes sense since they get the holiday legs plus are probably positioning for it some awards given Rob Marshall's success with their previous two collaborations, especially at the Golden Globes). There's gonna likely be some shuffling around the next time they set release dates since they've already set so many for yet-to-be-named movies in advance it's safe to say some of them aren't happening.

Speaking of which, David Lowery's Peter Pan looks to be finally coming together as it's to begin shooting in April so that's likely to be a 2021 release, either for July 30 or October 8. Most likely the former.

The only awards consideration The Little Mermaid's gonna get will be if the voting boards create a category for Best Pandering.

• ...wtf 1

22 hours ago, excel1 said:

Batman blowing up would only be a surprise to a fool. TDK and TDKR did/would have set the admissions records; hell TDK was the 2nd biggest film of all time when it was released. Social media and pop culture is STILL full of references to those films. Joker huge.

Good reviews and THE BATMAN is breaking $250m opening weekend.

I'd say the over/under is closer to 150 than 250.

• Like 1

2021 big releases guessing for fun and probably overly optimistic 

(OW/Dom/WW)

Shang Chi - 140/400/1.1B

Fast 10 - 80/200/950

Doctor Strange - 175/420/1B

John Wick 4 - 75/180/440

Cruella - 68/200/520

Jurassic World 3 - 130/320/1B

The Batman - 180/500/1.2B

Spider-Man 3 - 200/550/1.3B

Indiana Jones 5 165/420/1.1B

Mission Impossible 7 - 130/400/1B

The Suicide Squad - 100/240/700

The Little Mermaid - 160/500/1.2B

Thor 4 - 200/580/1.4B

Something to add about how high I'm predicting for The Batman (still on that train) is that the more I think about it, its timing is kind of perfect. The MCU's obviously still gonna be big, and people are going to still be excited for Papa Feige's new children. But I think there's definitely going to be a large amount of people excited for something new and fresh, especially since there might be a decent amount of people moving on after Endgame (though not all). And while Batman's obviously been done before, I think going into the noir stuff, and pushing away from any multiverse, it's-all-connected nonsense will help it stand out among what is basically a Marvel summer.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Bumping this cause we’ve have a teaser for the first 2021 movie, Batman photos and BOP underperforming makes me curious on TSS

I think The Suicide Squad will do much better business than BOP. It'll obviously open lower than SS but I think it'll be better received.

10 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Something to add about how high I'm predicting for The Batman (still on that train) is that the more I think about it, its timing is kind of perfect. The MCU's obviously still gonna be big, and people are going to still be excited for Papa Feige's new children. But I think there's definitely going to be a large amount of people excited for something new and fresh, especially since there might be a decent amount of people moving on after Endgame (though not all). And while Batman's obviously been done before, I think going into the noir stuff, and pushing away from any multiverse, it's-all-connected nonsense will help it stand out among what is basically a Marvel summer.

One thing that may work in its favour is that after WW1984, they won't be a DC film for over a year so they can build hype for the first solo live action Batman film in a few years. 

• Like 1

Batman - $1.4B

Thor 4 - $1.1B

Spider-Man 3 - $1B

Jurassic World 3 - $950m

Shang Chi - $900m

Matrix 4 - $850m

MI7 - $840m

Dr. Strange 2 - $800m

Indy 5 - $700m

Twoicide Squad - $600m

Black Adam - $500m