Jamiem

Birds of Prey 113.4m OS 195.8m WW

• Haha 5

Deadline: Warner Bros’ DC spinoff added another $10M this weekend from 78 overseas markets. The offshore cume is $101.2M and the worldwide total is now $173.7M. Still pulling low numbers, the highest grossing market is the UK at $10M, followed by Mexico at $9.7M, Russia at $6.8M, France at $6.6M and Australia at $6.1M.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

$10M this weekend

Was it not $23M last weekend, Birds Of Prey, had a decent drop of 46% to add $23M from 78 markets. 

Could see actual going higher, 56-57% drop for non-China intl market week 3 without any competition opening sound quite harsh or maybe Valentin Day is a factor WW.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:24 AM, Arendelle Legion said:

Maybe call that a 40M FSS? Bit lower? Something like 33 DOM+47 OS=80M WW OW or so.   

Total should be targeting the 90+130M (including Japan) =220M range or so, at an initial glance.

From opening Saturday. I guess now I’d say more like 85+130. WThF were shockingly low, but it’s been a remarkably predictable/normal run since then.

If domestic ends at around 85 then overseas only needs $4.5m to get to 200m. Japan probably won't be anything noteworthy but seems like it'll be a $210m WW finish.

As a fan of DC and this film this is the first box office performance in awhile that crushed me. In the end the movie won't lose money but a push for HQ films besides Squad is really unlikely.

On 3/1/2020 at 2:20 PM, AdrianL said:

If domestic ends at around 85 then overseas only needs $4.5m to get to 200m. Japan probably won't be anything noteworthy but seems like it'll be a $210m WW finish.

As a fan of DC and this film this is the first box office performance in awhile that crushed me. In the end the movie won't lose money but a push for HQ films besides Squad is really unlikely.

How so? I've been told by our biggest BO experts that The Invisible Man that cost only 7M to make needed over 100M WW to just break even. BoP cost 90M to make soby that logic  200M is completely insufficient. It'll never break even. It bombed. hard. 

15 hours ago, Valonqar said:

How so? I've been told by our biggest BO experts that The Invisible Man that cost only 7M to make needed over 100M WW to just break even. BoP cost 90M to make soby that logic  200M is completely insufficient. It'll never break even. It bombed. hard. 

Lol, don’t listen to them. Studios don’t spend $7m on a movie knowing they have to gross $100m to break even. Let’s not get stupid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Lol, don’t listen to them. Studios don’t spend $7m on a movie knowing they have to gross $100m to break even. Let’s not get stupid. 

I think that's pretty common, marketing & releasing costs for domestic wide releases are at least 30M, and another 30M for overseas marketing & releasing costs.  actual marketing budget is probably higher than 60M, A Quiet Place was 86M (for worldwide marketing & releasing) according to deadline.

director Steven Soderbergh talks about this at a festival presentation few years ago.

time stamped from 26:20 to 27:48 

but unfortunately the only way a studio is going to allow that kind of freedom to a young filmmaker is if the budgets are low and unfortunately the most profitable movies for the studios are the big movies the home runs you know they don't look at the singles in the doubles as being worth the money or the man-hours and psychologically it's more comforting to spend 60 million dollars promoting a movie that cost a 100M than it does to spend 60 million dollars promoting a movie that cost 10M, now I know what you're probably thinking oh but you know if it cost 10M you're going to be in profit sooner but maybe not, here's why okay a 10 million dollar movie 60 million to promote it that's 70M so you got to gross a 140M to get out, now you've got a 100 million dollar movie you're going to spend 60M dollars to promote it you got to gross 320M to get out. how many 10M dollar movies make 140M dollars, not that many but how many a 100M dollar movies make 320M? a pretty good number and there's a sort of domino effect that happens to bigger home video sales bigger TV sales so you can see the forces that are sort of draining in one direction in the business

• Like 1