Eric Atreides

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

8 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

Sources say that Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, who co-wrote and directed the initial 2019 hit, will not return to helm the sequel but are in talks to remain in the Marvel Universe and direct a possible Disney+ series. Marvel is hoping to find a female filmmaker for Captain 2 and is eyeing a potential release in 2022.

• Like 2

That's not a cat, that's a flerken!   

I have to admit the first hasn't aged that well for me. There's a lot I like about Carol, but prequel+amnesia+overpowered makes it hard to get really invested. This one won't have amnesia, probably (hopefully) won't be a prequel, and we'll see what they decide to do in terms of being OP (which is one of the issues making modern Superman tricky, imo).  

Much like Derrickson I have no grudge with Boden&Fleck but no particular attachment either, let's see what somebody new can do.   

Will reserve judgement on the writer until I've seen Wandavision, but provisionally excited. Cap 2nd entries have a good history, so let's Winter Soldier this up 😎

Scheduling musings coming soon.

Edited by Arendelle Legion

1 hour ago, Eric Dolittle said:

@Arendelle Legion You're good at this; when do you think it's releasing?

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

Sources say that Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, who co-wrote and directed the initial 2019 hit, will not return to helm the sequel but are in talks to remain in the Marvel Universe and direct a possible Disney+ series. Marvel is hoping to find a female filmmaker for Captain 2 and is eyeing a potential release in 2022.

To be honest, 2022 is a surprise. After DS2 took 5 years, Thor 4 took 4 years, and BP2 took 4 years, I was thinking 2023 for this. Give it more space from BP2, have 2022 be half sequels and half original. I suspect the motivation here is that it needs to be a different year from GOTG3 and 2022 didn't quite work for Gunn.  

2022 has 4 currently scheduled Dis MCU slots:
Feb 18 -- unknown

May 2 -- BP2

July 29 -- unknown 

Oct 7 --   

AM3 should be 2022, historically July would make sense for that but some relatively credible scoopers have been rumbling about Feb for it. 2022 is likely too soon for a sequel to Eternals or Black Widow since the only 2 year turnarounds have been Spider-man for Sony reasons and IM1-IM2 way back in the days of yore. There's a certain school of thought that says to not clump your expected huge sequels together too closely, but the DS2+SM3+Thor4 placement shows that's far from a hard constraint. Previously I had been ruminating on a possible FF4 for 2022, but I don't think that's very compatible with this news. So overall I expect:

CM2+BP2+AM3+Blade or AM3+BP2+CM2+Blade  

With the possibility that Blade waits for 2023 and is replaced by FF4 or another first entry.

There's also a muy caliente option

Spoiler

Eternals moves to Dec 2020 and does well. Lucasfilm decides to take a longer theatrical break than 3 years. 2022 of:
A ) CM2 Feb+BP2 May(/April)+AM3 July+Blade Oct+Eternals 2 Dec
B ) FF4 Feb+BP2 May(/April)+AM3 July+Blade Oct+CM2 Dec 

C ) AM3 Feb+BP2 May(/April)+FF4 July+Blade Oct+CM2 Dec

But to be clear I consider that highly unlikely, not least because of AQM2.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

Will be interesting to see what Wandavision is like since this will have the same writer, and I'm glad to see female director is being looked for as well. I really enjoyed the first film but I don't have anything against fresh blood either (as I said in the Doctor Strange thread) so I'm eager to see who they'll go with for that.

Goddamn, I completely forgot about DP3 :rofl:   

We are stacked with expected post-phase 4 movies:

Blade

CM2

AM3

BP2

DP3

FF4

Gotg3

Eternals 2?

SM4?

Thunderbolts?

Young Avengers?

other first entries?   

If things work out with Sony I really think they might target 9 movies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

best MCU film of 2019

200.gif

Anyway, there’s no evidence that Feige “downgraded” anybody. As early as the CM1 release Boden and Fleck were basically saying that they weren’t planning to do the sequels.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-directors-anna-boden-ryan-fleck-indie-1202048958/

With their biggest project finally put to bed, they are ready to move on from the Marvel universe. Fleck said he’s excited to “go to the theater and watch her in the next movie, and not know anything about it, and just be like, ‘I don’t have to make it or edit it anymore,’ eat my popcorn and just watch it, enjoy it like everyone else.”

While the filmmakers said they don’t have any immediate plans to return to the blockbuster fold, the experience has been formative. Boden herself said that making the film pushed her out of her comfort zone, and for the better. “When we made our first short film together, [we were] at Sundance and we won an award and when we got onstage, I literally, literally hid behind Ryan,” Boden said at the film’s press conference. “I think this whole process has helped me be more confident in my voice and be a little bit more comfortable just being seen.”

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Everyone loves a redemption story!

Anyway,

Captain Marvel to me was never about her amnesia.  It was always about this strong, component woman breaking free from patriarchal prison she was held in to realize that her power was in her the whole time.  Like, the power in her NOT engaging him at the end cause he's not worth it.  Amazing.  I cried the whole way home. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2