Eric Duncan

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Something I'm glad to see is that it's set in the present and not the past. With the way the first one ended it made it sound like it was likely to still be set previously in the timeline with the talk of her coming for the Kree, etc, so if it pans out to be true that it's set now then that'll be great, because jumping around like that doesn't make for the best way to do a character arc over multiple movies. Although I guess that does make the most sense with Ms Marvel possibly making an appearance.

It was also making me suspicious that so many female led superhero films were being set in the past, between the first one, two WW movies and Black Widow, it's a strange pattern that was emerging, so I'm happy about that (and of course BoP is also set currently as well).

• Like 1

A Disney+ series? What a waste of Boden and Fleck's talent. I wasn't a big fan of their Cap Marvel work though so don't really mind Marvel getting another director (maybe this time Marvel should let the directors do more of the action sequences than a second unit team). I was just hoping Boden and Fleck would go back to doing their indie work. I think Lorene Scafaria would be a pretty good choice for the sequel but I'd also like her to write the movie if she joins the movie as director.

5 hours ago, Cap said:

It was always about this strong, component woman breaking free from patriarchal prison she was held in to realize that her power was in her the whole time. 

Only if the whole movie was about this and not some hypocritical war story that takes up too much space.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

9 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Only if the whole movie was about this and not some hypocritical war story that takes up too much space.

Actually, B&F flubbed the "stand up to patriarchal prison" when they made Carol stand up to Annette Bening. It was quite ridiculous to insert all those flashbacks of guys putting her down while standing up to another woman (that symbolized what carol could have become). I'd say they just inserted those flashbacks cause mandated to have Carol confront men somewhere in the movie, but didn't think that it made no sense in the context of who her antagonist was (Mother figure). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

To be honest, 2022 is a surprise. After DS2 took 5 years, Thor 4 took 4 years, and BP2 took 4 years, I was thinking 2023 for this.

Same. I'll believe 2022 when I see it.

That said, we have heard that Feige may be shifting some projects around (mostly the tv stuff) so that it fits the overall narrative for this next batch of stories. Movies like Ant-Man could certainly be shifted around due to Cassie's story, and Captain Marvel could be positioned so that it fits properly with Ms Marvel.

So if this movie needs to happen sooner than expected, then so be it.

Of course, timelines like this could also be affected by scheduling for other movies, specifically when they think they'll be able to get all the cast and crew together for GOTG3. In comparison, a movie like CM2 ought to be much easier for Marvel to schedule, since they're getting a new director and most of the cast will probably be new too. They pretty much just need to work around Brie's schedule.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Actually, B&F flubbed the "stand up to patriarchal prison" when they made Carol stand up to Annette Bening. It was quite ridiculous to insert all those flashbacks of guys putting her down while standing up to another woman (that symbolized what carol could have become). I'd say they just inserted those flashbacks cause mandated to have Carol confront men somewhere in the movie, but didn't think that it made no sense in the context of who her antagonist was (Mother figure). 

Yeah, that came to my mind. I also had a problem with how the payoff (the montage of her standing up and telling Jude Law to f-off) had no set up. I wish the main story wasn't about the Skrull conflict but had more to do with Carol's story (like a normal origin story) so that the final moments would have been more badass. Also, one of the biggest mistakes was them sidelining her best friend (the only exploration of their relationship we get is "look at these pictures of shit we did offscreen"). 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

You just described the alt-right. 

No impact just Noise. 

And why go after captain marvel, which after hot take after hot take from from interchangeable talking  heads about how it was going to be some kind of eeeevil Marxist parable about how awful all men are, it was literally just.....a superhero movie.

How thin are the skins on these clowns?

Not bothered by change of directors, I really enjoyed the first - more than most as I found it really thematically robust - but nothing I would feel I needed again in terms of the creative team. This should just be good fun for all. I mean, apart from the white noise brigade.

• Like 1

Agreed. I wished it was a linear movie (including more with Maria and Top Gun). The script was a mess. They tried to achieve several things:

introduce Carol

set up the conflict with the Kree aka Space Marvel

tie her in with the SHIELD via Fury

2 of these 3 things are not overly comaptible. They tried to bridge it with Skrulls which kind of worked cause Bendelsohn is awesome, but Carol characterisation suffered as a result cause they were trying to put her in both stories and then tie them together and oh my! 

either way, that's behind us and new team will certianly do better now that shaky intro is out of the way.

@lorddemaxus

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Eternals moves to Dec 2020 and does well. Lucasfilm decides to take a longer theatrical break than 3 years. 2022 of:
A ) CM2 Feb+BP2 May(/April)+AM3 July+Blade Oct+Eternals 2 Dec
B ) FF4 Feb+BP2 May(/April)+AM3 July+Blade Oct+CM2 Dec 

C ) AM3 Feb+BP2 May(/April)+FF4 July+Blade Oct+CM2 Dec

I mean if you want to overstuff the market with CBM’s sure.

• Like 1

Fun fact: 2022 may have at least 5 sequels for CBMs (BP2, CM2, SV2, SZM2, AQM2), 3 of which from 2018. In addition to that, it’ll also contain two major animated CBMS.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

A) I mean yes, of course I do.  
B ) No particular evidence yet that such a thing exists from the GA perspective.

I’m just saying 2022 already has 9 high profile CBMs. I feel like 10+ could be overkill.

I am not saying fatigue or everyone of them will flop but there’s just a lot in 2022, and I think they’re be some eating into each other especially the ones close to each other like Shazam 2 and Spider Verse 2 literally being a week apart.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2