The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

4 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yes, weirdly everyone on r/boxoffice believes that $1B is the floor for Deadpool 3 and that $800M is the ceiling for Avengers 5

Simple. Deadpool has a clear draw (Wolverine and Deadpool finally in the MCU), Kang dynasty has no strong draw yet. Secret Wars will obviously be massive because of all the cameos, but KD might be in trouble 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

more interested in what is going to happen at the Marvel offices when this loses money, all their projects this year outside Guardians 3 and to a lesser extent Loki Season 2 have been duds which has never happened to them like this before. honestly hope they reevaluate everything that hasn't started shooting yet, (wouldn't be surprised if Thunderbolts either gets canceled or completely redone to not be a weird black widow spin-off)

I'm sure they're also looking at DC putting out a flop after flop this year. Right now it looks like at least 5 of the 7 live action superhero movies of 2023 (we can't be sure about Aquaman yet) are flat out bombs or disappointments (Quantumania).  

10 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

more interested in what is going to happen at the Marvel offices when this loses money, all their projects this year outside Guardians 3 and to a lesser extent Loki Season 2 have been duds which has never happened to them like this before. honestly hope they reevaluate everything that hasn't started shooting yet, (wouldn't be surprised if Thunderbolts either gets canceled or completely redone to not be a weird black widow spin-off)

The writing was very much on the wall after last year if they didn’t deliver high quality with this year’s slate, but many people wanted to just dismiss that as “doom and glooming”. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

This bomb was shockingly predictable. All other upcoming MCU projects should do decent  

Um, like what? No one cares about Mackie’s Captain America. That is in a worse position than this and will have to rely more on a grassroots WOM effect if the movie turns out amazing. Thunderbolts meanwhile sounds like the biggest MCU risk yet, even more than Eternals was. Granted, that means it could also pay off but once again they are depending on a GotG1 situation where the movie gets amazing reception and WOM goes through the roof. Hardly feels like a sure thing with current MCU. If both of those fail majorly, MCU is basically dead by then. They will have to find a way to completely resuscitate it, which likely involves some kind of reboot ala Gunns DCU. 

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Ehhh a lot of people on this thread expected a 50%+ drop. I personally said for a while a $40M OW wouldn't shock me 

Only the "go woke, go broke" crowd predicted this. Let's be real here. The Marvels is not bombing because the masses hate Brie Larson and women of color. It's bombing because the audiences have been burned one too many times by the MCU in recent years and have finally lost interest.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, DInky said:

Only the "go woke, go broke" crowd predicted this. Let's be real here. The Marvels is not bombing because the masses hate Brie Larson and women of color. It's bombing because the audiences have been burned one too many times by the MCU in recent years and have finally lost interest.

they may not hate Brie Larson personally but she is a bland leading lady and her character sucks

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 4

this is shaping up to be one of the biggest box office bombs of all time. You can't sit here and tell me this is something they can just brush off. I can see a push for heads to roll and even for Feige to be replaced. Remember this is the guy that apparently thought Eternals was Oscar worthy, Quantumania was a banger, and that Captain Marvel was going to be the leading face of the MCU! Maybe if they had some promising upcoming projects it would be all right but what do they have? A Chris Evan less Captain America that follows a shitty web series, Thunderbolts, Fantastic Four and Blade movies that they seem to have no idea how to get off the ground, and two Avengers that will likely keep getting pushed back and with the main villain actor embroiled in controversy. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, DInky said:

Actually there were those of us very much predicting what you said at the end of your post since their quality flatlined starting with MoM last year… 

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

this is shaping up to be one of the biggest box office bombs of all time. You can't sit here and tell me this is something they can just brush off. I can see a push for heads to roll and even for Feige to be replaced. Remember this is the guy that apparently thought Eternals was Oscar worthy, Quantumania was a banger, and that Captain Marvel was going to be the leading face of the MCU! Maybe if they had some promising upcoming projects it would be all right but what do they have? A Chris Evan less Captain America that follows a shitty web series, Thunderbolts, Fantastic Four and Blade movies that they seem to have no idea how to get off the ground, and two Avengers that will likely keep getting pushed back and with the main villain actor embroiled in controversy. 

If Kathleen Kennedy can survive Dial of Destiny Marvels bombing is not going to end up with Feige getting ousted immediately after giving them 15 years of hits.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Are we sure this isn't part of the Marvel tv revamp? It's a pretty big example of the integrated film/tv vision and despite a seeming lack of quality problems on tv shows involved, it's being treated by literally no one as a big team up event.

I don’t think people realize how disastrously both CA and Thubderbolts could bomb if this is a disaster. I would argue that this actually had more going for it than either of those will, and we still may end up with one of the biggest box office bombs ever here. CA and TB will be absolutely nuclear if they are poorly received. As in less than 150 WW potential for both. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t think people realize how disastrously both CA and Thubderbolts could bomb if this is a disaster. I would argue that this actually had more going for it than either of those will, and we still may end up with one of the biggest box office bombs ever here. CA and TB will be absolutely nuclear if they are poorly received. As in less than 150 WW potential for both. 

"Hulk smashes stuff" is a pretty good pitch and I suspect there are also cameos to mine. But I'm also just too unsure of their core pitch to really say something definite about either. If Thunderbolts is, at it seems, "really" a Black Widow 2, this is probably another example of waiting too long for sequels while not keeping up the appearance of narrative momentum via small stuff. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce