The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

10 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Are we sure this isn't part of the Marvel tv revamp? It's a pretty big example of the integrated film/tv vision and despite a seeming lack of quality problems on tv shows involved, it's being treated by literally no one as a big team up event.

I think it’s too little too late for a tv revamp. They already have more stuff that nobody wants and cares about and made in the same way as previous shows in the can like Echo, Ironheart, and Agatha 

Edited by John Marston

22 minutes ago, DInky said:

Only the "go woke, go broke" crowd predicted this. Let's be real here. The Marvels is not bombing because the masses hate Brie Larson and women of color. It's bombing because the audiences have been burned one too many times by the MCU in recent years and have finally lost interest.

Ummm Guardians of the Galaxy made $850M three months ago? Statements likes these are crazy overgeneralizations with no context involved. Lets calm down with the sky is falling, MCU is finished rhetoric until they can string together 5+ massive bombs

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

Ummm Guardians of the Galaxy made $850M three months ago? Statements likes these are crazy overgeneralizations with no context involved. Lets calm down with the sky is falling, MCU is finished rhetoric until they can string together 5+ massive bombs

GOTG 3 is an outlier just like how Deadpool 3 next year will

Be an outlier 

Edited by John Marston

24 minutes ago, DInky said:

Only the "go woke, go broke" crowd predicted this. Let's be real here. The Marvels is not bombing because the masses hate Brie Larson and women of color. It's bombing because the audiences have been burned one too many times by the MCU in recent years and have finally lost interest.

More than half of this thread predicted sub $600M way before tracking. Some even went as low as $300M (including myself). Even if the MCU was at its peak, the Marvels would still have done poorly. 

A) Because it doesn't have an Avengers film juicing it 

B ) Because it requires the audience to watch 2 other Disney+ show 

C) The Marvels promises nothing in term of continuing the overreaching arc 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

GOTG 3 is an outlier just like how Deadpool 3 next year will

Be an outlier 

Guardians 3, Black Panther, Strange, No Way Home, even Thor did 760. That's a lot of "outliers" over the last two years of releases.

The days of everything being crazy gigantic was unsustainable, but the MCU ain't leaving so long as Feiges running things.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think it’s too little too late for a tv revamp. They already have more stuff that nobody wants and cares about and made in the same way as previous shows in the can like Echo, Ironheart, and Agatha 

I was referring to the TV revamp they just announced, ditching the quasi-film model and embracing showrunners (I'm sure someone else has a better grasp on it) in addition to scraping and reshooting lots of daredevil.

If they're committing to more "tv style" tv shows, one inference could be a scaling back of TV/film integration. 

The big wildcard here is young avengers. 

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

More than half of this thread predicted sub $600M way before tracking. Some even went as low as $300M (including myself). Even if the MCU was at its peak, the Marvels would still have done poorly. 

A) Because it doesn't have an Avengers film juicing it 

B ) Because it requires the audience to watch 2 other Disney+ show 

C) The Marvels promises nothing in term of continuing the overreaching arc 

You could also apply points A and B to most of phase 4 & 5 movies released so far but somehow nobody expected those to bomb. Could misogyny be the real reason why The marvels was singled out? I guess we'll never know.

• ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Because if anyones never delivered a hit for Marvel it's...Jac Schaeffer and Ryan Coogler.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Kind of a fact. In Captain Marvel she is bland and charisma less and that looks to continue here. To be fair her character  her character has no real personality of depth 

Your opinion of a fictional character is not fact.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The GOAT said:

You're suggesting a bigger collapse than Alice and the Wonderland 2? Is it too late to can the characters? 

Yeah its over imo...Expecting something like $280M WW at this point ($50M OW/ $130M DOM/$280M WW). OS is going to be an absolute bloodbath. 

6 minutes ago, DInky said:

You could also apply points A and B to most of phase 4 & 5 movies released so far but somehow nobody expected those to bomb. Could misogyny be the real reason why The marvels was singled out? I guess we'll never know.

IMO no, Captain Marvel did $1B. I just don't think Marvel fans like Captain Marvel and her arc. Also, having two Disney+ hero's as side characters just created more apathy towards the project 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

There's no way they're just getting rid of everyone forever. Kamala at the least is 100 percent going to be part of Children's Crusade/Champions/Young Avengers/whatever they end up calling their young hero thing they've been setting up for the last three years 

At this point I'm questioning if they are, in fact, setting it up. No movie or TV series has been announced and none of these kids are getting any younger.

1 minute ago, DInky said:

At this point I'm questioning if they are, in fact, setting it up. No movie or TV series has been announced and none of these kids are getting any younger.

It would be a hell of a coincidence to introduce this many Young Avengers characters if there wasn't some plan for them. My guess is it's part of Jac Schaeffers deal on Disney+ since Disney+ is where most of them have been set up.

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Yeah its over imo...Expecting something like $280M WW at this point ($50M OW/ $130M DOM/$280M WW). OS is going to be an absolute bloodbath. 

IMO no, Captain Marvel did $1B. I just don't think Marvel fans like Captain Marvel and her arc. Also, having two Disney+ hero's as side characters just created more apathy towards the project 

So what you're saying is that out of all the MCU movies Captain Marvel is the one film that people disliked so much that it's causing the sequel to collapse at the box office?