The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Like, a tiny fraction of the audience of DS2 actually watched WandaVision, right?  

Literally this. WandaVision is one of the more watched MCU shows (several reasons for this) but it still pales in comparison to the movies and DS2 catches you up to speed really quickly on what the hell has been going on so I think it will be the same with The Marvels.

• Like 1

I’m not sure I agree that a small percentage of DS2 audience watched WandaVision… that show was a pandemic streaming phenomenon. Wanda being front and center in marketing for DS2 and the movie having such a gigantic opening and boost over DS1 wasn’t a coincidence (NWH hype obviously contributed too). Do we have the numbers for WV? I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s behind Encanto and not much else for D+ hits… 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m not sure I agree that a small percentage of DS2 audience watched WandaVision… that show was a pandemic streaming phenomenon. Wanda being front and center in marketing for DS2 and the movie having such a gigantic opening and boost over DS1 wasn’t a coincidence (NWH hype obviously contributed too). Do we have the numbers for WV? I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s behind Encanto and not much else for D+ hits… 

We don’t have the numbers for absolutely any shows; either from Disney+ or any other streaming platform. This is one of the major reasons why writers and actors are striking.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

We don’t have the numbers for absolutely any shows; either from Disney+ or any other streaming platform. This is one of the major reasons why writers and actors are striking.

There were numbers released for Encanto in the form of total hours watched vs all other things on streaming in 2022 and it was absurd. It beat everything including all TV shows except Stranger Things, and Encanto is just a short 90 min movie. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

There were numbers released for Encanto in the form of total hours watched vs all other things on streaming in 2022 and it was absurd. It beat everything including all TV shows except Stranger Things, and Encanto is just a short 90 min movie. 

We don’t have any transparency on that. It’s basically streaming services saying "trust us".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Encanto's success is still absolutely insane. I can only imagine how big that movie theatrically would have been if Disney+ didn't exist.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think it’s coincidental that shortly after WV’s success is when Disney went nuts on the “steaming is our new pillar” strategy. They saw that + the nature of the pandemic and figured they had a lasting gold mine on their hands. Again, idk what data looks like, but I have to believe WV was massive just from how it felt and how many were talking about it. 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

We don’t have any transparency on that. It’s basically streaming services saying "trust us".

Eh, it’s still better than nothing, and I highly doubt they’re just pulling it entirely out of thin air. They would have the data. 

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t think it’s coincidental that shortly after WV’s success is when Disney went nuts on the “steaming is our new pillar” strategy. They saw that + the nature of the pandemic and figured they had a lasting gold mine on their hands. Again, idk what data looks like, but I have to believe WV was massive just from how it felt and how many were talking about it. 

Idk by the time WandaVision released they had already announced up through Armor Wars

• Like 1

Just now, Deep Wang said:

yeah, it's def dropping DOM and WW, no use fighting that.  

I’m actually getting a lot confident on this. The date is just perfect for a long run feels good team up film with three superheroines. This might have the opposite effect of Wakanda Forever: that film is beautiful and incredibly well made, but it’s a downer. It’s a hard watch, I don’t think we’ve ever had a sadder film in this genre, regardless how Endgame goes for our emotions, Wakanda Forever hits harder because it’s actually true, Chadwick/T’Challa isn’t coming back.

This seems to be going into a quite opposite direction. And people here doubted Barbie before too, so… not sure how can anyone can already call that the film isn’t breaking out. At least on social media, comparing even with the previous films reactions have been rather massive since yesterday.

Just now, InVy said:

well, I thought she was a great villain. no matter what Olsen & series purists think. or we'll have 0 interesting characters.

Exactly how I feel. Also, it’s completely in line with WandaVision. Regardless how much blind stans don’t want to see it. Wanda didn’t redeem herself at the end of WandaVision. She ran away and fell for the Darkhold. It’s right there, at the end of the last episode.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Exactly how I feel. Also, it’s completely in line with WandaVision. Regardless how much blind stans don’t want to see it. Wanda didn’t redeem herself at the end of WandaVision. She ran away and fell for the Darkhold. It’s right there, at the end of the last episode.

They ruined her character. She wasn't "redeemed" in the finale of WV, but she was nowhere NEAR where they put her in DS2. She literally just saved an entire town of strangers and fought against someone manipulating her... and jumped STRAIGHT to "I'm going to murder everyone I know"

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I can see that.  Obviously, I'd love for it to make more, but this is a good starting point.

Makes sense. I'm hoping it does better not only box office-wise, but quality-wise too.

I'd love more clarification from the trailers on who the antagonist is for the film.

• Like 1