Boxofficerules

Weekend Thread: Estimates BB 34, 1917 15.8, Dolittle 12.5, Gentlemen 11, Jumanji 7.9, Turning 7.3 | Bad Boys and 1917 cross 100M, Star Wars 500M

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Agreed; if it's going to open on par with Us, it's going to have better legs than Us. IMO 75/200 wouldn't surprise me if the movie is at least "good".

It depends. As much as I enjoyed AQP, I always felt s the basic idea of the film would work great for a single film, but very questionable you could get more then one good film out of it.

its really early but Gentlemen could hit double digits. if walkups are not too bad it will hit 3m+ true friday(its probably halfway there already with PS) which should be enough to hit double digits. Let us see where things are this evening. 

Turning has not turned the corner. I am thinking 5-6m OW at this point !!!

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It depends. As much as I enjoyed AQP, I always felt s the basic idea of the film would work great for a single film, but very questionable you could get more then one good film out of it.

But this one doesn't look like a re-hash of the first part. Yea I'd like a lot more of the "be quiet" elements, but it looks like they're moving the story in a different direction this time. 

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

‘Bad Boys For Life’ & ‘1917’ Shooting Past $100M; ‘The Gentlemen’ Eyes $10M+ – Midday Box Office

https://deadline.com/2020/01/bad-boys-for-life-the-gentleman-the-turning-weekend-box-office-1202840184/

Dreamworks/Universal’s PG-13 horror feature The Turning, which cost in the low teens before P&A, is seeing around $2.5M today (including $425K previews) for a $6M opening weekend. Critics turned their backs on Turning with an 18% RT score. PostTrak shows, gulp, no stars and a 20% definite recommend, and an overall 34% total positive. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76113580717283c1788518

• Astonished 2

Dreamworks/Universal’s PG-13 horror feature The Turning, which cost in the low teens before P&A, is seeing around $2.5M today (including $425K previews) for a $6M opening weekend. Critics turned their backs on Turning with an 18% RT score. PostTrak shows, gulp, no stars and a 20% definite recommend, and an overall 34% total positive. Those who braved this pic were 33% men over 25, 25% females over 25, 25% males under 25 and females under 25 (which you would think is the pic’s key demo) at 17%. There’s a chance that Sony’s 7th weekend of Jumanji: The Next Level could upset The Turning’s 5th place spot with $6.2M, -36% and a running cume of $281.7M.

Damn, just like Black Christmas, teens really don’t turn up for these things, not surprising Fantasy Island isn’t tracking well with the under 25 crowd.

39 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Damn, just like Black Christmas, teens really don’t turn up for these things, not surprising Fantasy Island isn’t tracking well with the under 25 crowd.

If this film had been released a few years ago, it would have made at least $ 10m OW. Teens in 2020 prefer to spend the day watching videos on tiktok. 

@keysersoze123 last post in the tracking thread:

Gentlemen Previews FINAL

MTC1 -  overall 602 shows 17371/78767 226461.91 
MTC2 - overall 596 shows 9657/76540 109547.00

It did have a good spurt but final numbers are still meh. I had thought 0.8m previously but comparing to DL it could go lower slightly. SO will say ~ 0.75m  

Turning Previews Final

MTC1 - overall 545 shows 9458/66245 120448.97

MTC2  - overall 591 shows 7486/75919 81448.00

Also did have a good increase today. I will say 0.45m 

Mostly there is little point tracking these movies days ahead of release as most of the ticket sales happen on the final day. 

Holy shit! Almost bang on.

• Like 2