Boxofficerules

Weekend Thread: Estimates BB 34, 1917 15.8, Dolittle 12.5, Gentlemen 11, Jumanji 7.9, Turning 7.3 | Bad Boys and 1917 cross 100M, Star Wars 500M

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

But this one doesn't look like a re-hash of the first part. Yea I'd like a lot more of the "be quiet" elements, but it looks like they're moving the story in a different direction this time. 

Sorrybut AQP2 still looks like "just another Sci fi action thriller" to me, without the elements that made the original so good.

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

Damn, just like Black Christmas, teens really don’t turn up for these things, not surprising Fantasy Island isn’t tracking well with the under 25 crowd.

And the turning of Fantasy Island into a dark, grim Horror movie is not playing well with the fans of the original show. I have no idea of who they were making this movie for.

But with a Seven Milllion dollar budget, the film will probably make a small profit for the studio.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Lol, zero stars for The Turning?  Even The Grudge had a star.

That ending probably pissed off the whole theater. I didn't watch this movie but I felt the same thing after reading the plot, haha.

I think that The Turning screwed up a classic novel did not help it with the critics.

And it's not fare to judge the novel by this turkey. The 1961 version, "THe Innocents" shows you can a really good movie from "The Turn Of The Screw".

And  I note most attempts to "modernize" classic novels fail.  The one that succeed in pulling this off like "Clueless" and Cuaron's "Great Expectations" are few and far between.

Watched The Gentlemen and liked it a lot. Happy to see that it may hit double digits this weekend. Even if I wasn’t a fan of it, I’ll always root for original films to do well but I liked it a lot as my friend did as well so I am hoping with good WOM it can have a decent run. 

• Like 4

Just now, Eric Dolittle said:

Two F Cinemascores in one month has to be a first-timer, right?

Yep. That has to be a record. It has been a bad year for horror movies.

Next weekend is getting Gretel & Hansel, which feels another dumped movie with zero marketing; 

7 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I hope Gretel and Hansel gets an F next week too

I'm not sure about this one. At least the marketing hasn't been misleading. This is clearly NOT the traditional movie that many would be expecting. Looks like a mix of The Witch with something directed by Ari Aster.

Let's wait for reviews.

Horror is having a rough moment at this time but that's more due to the titles themselves being unappealing, especially the January dumps that were left for dead.

The Invisible Man and A Quiet Place Part II coming up over the next two months look infinitely better than any of these movies and the money they make will reflect that.