DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

19 hours ago, AndyLL said:

So incredibly low that I couldn't find any stats on it.  Saying coronavirus is no more serious than a cold IS false and you will not find any medical expert that would equate the two.

The flu is more serious however:

1) We have a vacinne for it

2) It typically only effects about 30% of the population

3) It only has about a .01% fatality rate. (which is already scewed high many of the high risk cannot/do not take the vaccine)

It's not completely known right now (one of the biggest problems) but coronavirus has at least a 1% fatality rate and it is likely higher.  Plus it is expected to infect 50-70% of the population.

Simple math would tell you that right now cornonavirus is significantly more dangerous than the flu.

One of the issues that makes coronavirus much worst than the flu is that it is now a pandemic... the rate of new cases are overwhelming health care facilities.  People are dying that could be saved because they can't be treated because there is a limited supply of facilities that can put people on ventilators for several weeks.

So yes... the statement is not only false it's dangerous.

I didn't want to sympatize with the person playing down Corona Virus, that's nonsense. I just wanted to point out, that what leads to a flu can, in a small number of cases, indeed lead to complications that lead to dead, because another person denied it.

Just now, John Marston said:

People don’t seem to be capable of social distancing. Stores, bars, restaurants  etc are all packed 

tbh im not changing anything, I work in a store, I got bills yo

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

tbh im not changing anything, I work in a store, I got bills yo

Me too. I hoped it would be empty but it was fucking crowded. Even the old people still came out for their pen refills 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

It is, and we are.    

One day people are chilling around Houston complacently. Two-three weeks later Houston hospitals are triaging patients.    

Average human psychology plus (relatively) high R0 diseases with asymptotic carriers and long incubation periods is a baaaaaad fucking mix.

And I truly hope it doesn’t get that bad. My wife and I would most likely be ‘fine.’ Relatively healthy people in our early 30’s, but my parents both have a history of health concerns, it’d be very bad for them and people of their generation.

• Like 1
  • Community Manager
Just now, FilmBuff said:

And I truly hope it doesn’t get that bad. My wife and I would most likely be ‘fine.’ Relatively healthy people in our early 30’s, but my parents both have a history of health concerns, it’d be very bad for them and people of their generation.

Not to alarm you but you can still get a severe case of the virus...which can lead to lifetime health complications. It can be bad for everyone. I hope it doesn't get that bad too.

Scary times.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

It is, and we are.    

One day people are chilling around Houston complacently. Two-three weeks later Houston hospitals are triaging patients.    

Average human psychology plus (relatively) high R0 diseases with asymptotic carriers and long incubation periods is a baaaaaad fucking mix.

Do you have a source for spread via asymptomatic carrieres? As far as my knowledge, there was a single case in China, where a person with no symptoms might have infected 5 members of her family, while they also stated, that they might have been infected otherwise. 

If you ever wondered what the  music of the end of the world would sound like ( it was even used in a film as such, in a cruel way for the main charcater), well here it is :

3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Do you have a source for spread via asymptomatic carrieres? As far as my knowledge, there was a single case in China, where a person with no symptoms might have infected 5 members of her family, while they also stated, that they might have been infected otherwise. 

That was a bit of sloppy wording. Not strictly asymptotic, but low symptomatic people, especially young, can feel well enough to just go about their day if they aren’t paying close attention to their own vitals.   

At least, I’ve seen that reported a lot, would love to hear that it was actually wrong.

12 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

That was a bit of sloppy wording. Not strictly asymptotic, but low symptomatic people, especially young, can feel well enough to just go about their day if they aren’t paying close attention to their own vitals.   

At least, I’ve seen that reported a lot, would love to hear that it was actually wrong.

As far as I'm informed, the main way of infection is via coughing or sneezing, because droplets find a way out, float through the air for a couple of minutes and then "fall" to the ground. That's how I understood german Virologist Drosten. 

Going to work with mild symptoms like these used to be completely normal. It reamins to be seen, how the virus and the spread gets effected by making people more sensible to that topic. I guess we'll see in the next couple of weeks after the strict measures  got into effect. 

Edited by Poseidon
16 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

If you ever wondered what the  music of the end of the world would sound like ( it was even used in a film as such, in a cruel way for the main charcater), well here it is :

such a good movie

scared human beings are capable of anything

they can have my toilet paper when they pry it from my cold dead hands

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Oh and i f you wonder why South Korea had the "best" reaction to covid it is because they had an outbreak in 2015 that scared the shit out of them and they implemented incredibly complex and advanced measures for testing, they were preparing for another outbreak  since then.

That s why it is the country that is testing its population the most.

It helps that they are one of the most tech savy country in the world and they used their giant data centers from Samsung I presume to track down their infected with all their digital footprints ( cameras, credit cards, cell phones triangulations, IP adresses etc).

What happens in 2015?

39 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Europeans didn't take it seriously either until it was too late. If it happens on another continent (like in China or South Korea before), it might as well be another planet.

Better not blame people anyway, they rarely follow local or national news so how should they know that they are not supposed to go to bars or restaurants? It should all be closed and that is a job for the government. Some countries may be poor but their leaders can read international headlines and are at least half-competent:

Sudan has ordered the closure of schools and universities for one month from Saturday to stop the spread of coronavirus, a statement from the prime minister’s office said.

The statement said all public gatherings, such as weddings and social events, will also be banned.

Sudan has 1 confirmed case - probably many more undetected, so they didn't wait.

@Lordmandeep @cax16 

Been tracking the total number of tests (blue line below) and total cases (red) every day for almost a week now. I'm sure you've noticed the total case count keeps growing faster, but there's a bit of good news in that the pace of testing keeps increasing as well. We're at 1,500 tests a day now, which is about half the per capita rate in South Korea (based on 10,000 tests/day). Still, I'd be happier to see the proportion of new cases (green) to tests/day (yellow) decrease (but at least it's not increasing).

Edited by Jason
  • Like 4
16 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

This is insane. 

BTW, in case people aren't getting it at first glance, these aren't people trying to get on an airplane to go wherever.  

These are all the Americans (and foreign nationals) being let back into the country, most of them probably dropping things at once and trying to rush back in due to the travel ban.

As noted by more than one person:

• Like 2