DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

4 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

Maybe this facts are no much for you.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. 2 Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu.3

And do you know why the number of deaths were so low?? It is because the emergency was activated 5 days after it was discovered, gene sequences were uploaded by the CDC a week later, 10 days later drugs were already on the market, Schools were dismissed a month later. The CDC actually had a rapid response team which Trump disbanded.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html

The biggest difference with H1N1, it targeted the younger people who didn't have immunity to it, most older people did due to contracting H1N1 before in their lives. It also didn't spread through the same vectors, and had a lower mortality rate. If SARS had actually managed to spread in the US, it might have been comparable.

• Like 3

@Brinatico has been thread banned for posting out of context and misleading information.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

are we a week away before some major cities in US start closing everything non-essential ?

I’d be shocked if Seattle takes a full 7 days tbh. NYC and some others might not be far behind. I think there’s a pretty strong correlation between hospitals starting to triage and relatively full shutdowns.

48 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I cannot believe that the tornado was actually this week...that seems like ages ago.

I need to go back to my Sunday self last weekend and let her know that this week would quite literally be the most insane week I'd ever witnessed, in a mostly negative way...and to be ready (even more than I thought I was...b/c I wasn't)...

Truer words have never been spoken. I feel like we've all joined @Plain Old Tele in being old fossils after just the past few days alone.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I’d be shocked if Seattle takes a full 7 days tbh. NYC and some others might not be far behind. I think there’s a pretty strong correlation between hospitals starting to triage and relatively full shutdowns.

how will people pay rent and such if can't work, seems like last resort , maybe curfews and such would be better

I was just in town and saw a number of people on their way to the last rugby league game before the crowd ban. Kick is in about 2 hours. 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

are we a week away before some major cities in US start closing everything non-essential ?

Hoboken, NJ just announced a city-wide curfew from 10:00pm-5:00am, and restaurants/bars are no longer allowed to serve food inside (only pick-up or delivery).  I expect other major cities will follow. 

Edited by Macleod

If you asked a group of experts to gameplay a worst case scenario of how not to respond to a pandemic I don’t think they would have thought this response was possible. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Hoboken, NJ just announced a city-wide curfew from 10:00pm-5:00am, and restaurants/bars are no longer allowed to serve food inside (only pick-up or delivery).  I expect other major cities will follow. 

You're no doubt right.

Italy went from 3 cases to lockdown and 20K cases in 3 weeks. We're probably a week behind them considering how pathetically slow the US testing has been.

12 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I know we argue a lot here about movies, but regardless of your affiliations, it's truly sad days when cinemas are closing en masse. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/us-movie-theaters-close-parts-pennsylvania-new-jersey-coronavirus-outbreak-1284714?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

are enough people even going to cinemas to matter, i think limited restaurants and bars are higher priority. What about gyms?

Posted (edited)

Take a screenshot, this may not be there too long...  Governor of Illinois.

Edited by Macleod

9 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/3/14/21180161/coronavirus-ohare-customs-screening-hours-long-wait

Making people bunch up and line up in a mass crowd seems like a really stupid idea. 

See, this is the basic problem when people try to come in this thread or the rest of the net and say "But, Obama did this..." or "But Denmark is doing that.."

Those people and countries have their shit together and can execute a fucking plan.

Someone can't just go on TV, say a few magic words, and POOF everything works out.  Hell, you can't even just go to one under-secretary and say "Hey, make sure this gets done right".  You have to plan, prepare, and instruct people right down to the letter.

In war a lot of this is considered logistics.  You can have the smartest, sanest idea or plan in the world.  But if you fuck up the logistical end... Well, you can get shit like tonight.

Now I have no idea just where in the chain of command this all broke down.  Like, I didn't hear any stories about this happening yesterday or Thursday, for instance.  Maybe whoever was responsible for this clusterfuck just looked at the last two days and said, "All systems go!  Everything good here," without planning for a surge during the weekend.  Hell, not even monitoring flight/passenger data (if they could).

At some point they should have expected a shit ton of people to come running home as fast as possible.  Apparently they didn't.  I have no idea how far up the chain responsibility goes.  Could be and probably is systemic.  But it absolutely is a failure of policy.  Because if you fuck up execution this badly, by definition it's a failure of the policy as well.

• Like 7

Just now, Macleod said:

Take a screenshot, this may not be there too long...

Oh it will be up for a while.  He sent it out in a press release as well.

those airport pics are horror.

massive crowd in small closed place for hours with no mask.

If one of them has it.. many in there will get it. 

it's really crazy how things are moving fast.

• Like 1