DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Everything is fine though! The virus is tremendously under control even though cases are increasing exponentially daily and the USA just saw an 11% increase in deaths since just yesterday. That’s not considering the impact it’s having internationally where the infection and death rate is even worse in some countries. But the virus is under control because Trump said so! 

Watch out Wuhan and Lombardy...

AMERICA FIRST!

• Like 1

It's so weird to see people crazy enough to think this might cause the "fall of civlization". The Black Death didn't cause the collapse of european civilization. Much less the Spanish Flu. 

It's just in the movies that this happen. (mostly) 

• Like 2

cbrEMfxcwuYKQeF4gS45hB-970-80.jpg

Air pollution in Italy has plummeted since the beginning of 2020...I know the virus has been utterly devastating there and is the more pressing concern, but it's nice to see that even during dark times there's some light to be found. It's strange, but when I look at my country and other countries around the world where current images show usually crowded places almost completely empty...it feels like the planet is taking a much needed gasp of air. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

ABC Sydney radio morning show here this morning talked to one of their producers who is on holidays.  On holidays in Europe.  She was in Spain the last few weeks and only just got out before the lockdown.  Now she's in Lisbon.

Portugal needs to go on lockdown as well.

How is placing all of Europe on lockdown even sustainable in the long run? I mean, this is absolutely gonna last until the end of May at the earliest and I honestly don't see the world going back to normality before August. This will make the entire civilization as we know it collapse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

How is placing all of Europe on lockdown even sustainable in the long run? I mean, this is absolutely gonna last until the end of May at the earliest and I honestly don't see the world going back to normality before August. This will make the entire civilization as we know it collapse. 

InfantileDisloyalBordercollie-size_restr

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

How is placing  most  of  the world on lockdown even sustainable in the long run? I mean, this is absolutely gonna last until the end of May at the earliest and I honestly don't see the world going back to normality before August. This will make the entire civilization as we know it collapse. 

yep and not only europe, if other countries start to do that too, then well.... , its a good solution that can work, but has an expire date and i doubt that this date can be more than 4 months

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2
24 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

It's so weird to see people crazy enough to think this might cause the "fall of civlization". The Black Death didn't cause the collapse of european civilization. Much less the Spanish Flu. 

It's just in the movies that this happen. (mostly) 

I wonder what they mean by fall of civilization, but the black death did change civilisation quite a bit.

Black death did probably participate vastly if didn't cause the fall of the feudal civilization, but it was no where the same realm of the worst case scenario of this (let alone using the Native American complete destruction of empire/civilization caused by pandemy).

Black death made so much land available to everyone that it changed the game a lot:

The great population loss wrought by the plague brought favorable results to the surviving peasants in England and Western Europe. There was increased social mobility, as depopulation further eroded the peasants’ already weakened obligations to remain on their traditional holdings. Feudalism never recovered. Land was plentiful, wages high, and serfdom had all but disappeared. It was possible to move about and rise higher in life

We could be weaker than previous civilization in many ways too, the more chained the system get they can become more prone to a global failure, back when almost everyone jobs was making food, during a crisis like the plague death meant new free land for the neighbors oldest son's with a limited local impact, something like the Western Roman empire was more possible to collapse, I imagine.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That is why people shouldn't mock Boris Johnson and his scheme of infecting children then everyone else. It is the strategy chosen by every Western leader even if they won't say it. Eventually the "lockdowns" will have to end but people will continue to get infected and die, because actually containing the pandemic was too hard for leaders who believe the free market can solve everything.

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

That is why people shouldn't mock Boris Johnson and his scheme of infecting children then everyone else. It is the strategy chosen by every Western leader even if they won't say it. Eventually the "lockdowns" will have to end but people will continue to get infected and die, because actually containing the pandemic was too hard for leaders who believe the free market can solve everything.

Boris will be seen as a visionary after this. The final nail in the coffin of the EU.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I wonder what they mean by fall of civilization, but the black death did change civilisation quite a bit.

Black death did probably participate vastly if didn't cause the fall of the feudal civilization, but it was no where the same realm of the worst case scenario of this (let alone using the Native American complete destruction of empire/civilization caused by pandemy).

Black death made so much land available to everyone that it changed the game a lot:

The great population loss wrought by the plague brought favorable results to the surviving peasants in England and Western Europe. There was increased social mobility, as depopulation further eroded the peasants’ already weakened obligations to remain on their traditional holdings. Feudalism never recovered. Land was plentiful, wages high, and serfdom had all but disappeared. It was possible to move about and rise higher in life

We could be weaker than previous civilization in many ways too, the more chained the system get they can become more prone to a global failure, back when almost everyone jobs was making food, during a crisis like the plague death meant new free land for the neighbors oldest son's with a limited local impact, something like the Western Roman empire was more possible to collapse, I imagine.

I doubt this can be anywhere near as bad as the Black Death. It probably won't even come close to the Spanish Flu actually, which is a much more fitting comparison. 

And the Plague did have an impact on Europe, but it was not the cause of any collapse or even any regression in terms of development. And it wasn't disease that destroyed the pre-columbian empires, it was the european conquerors who did that, Although yes, the diseases did their fair share of the job. But those people were not killed off, indeed, Some half of the population of latin america in the beginning of the 1800s were natives.

The Roman Empire was hitted by many plagues during its history, it didn't fall because any of them.