DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Italy took the hit for the rest of us serving as a cautionary tale. 

No, Wuhan did that. But nobody in the West listened to the WHO.

57 minutes ago, doublejack said:

This is another factor in the timelines everyone is talking about. Between the incubation period and the recovery time, things will have to be shut down for 2+ months minimum for containment to happen to any degree. This is why I believe the situation is going to take many months to unfold.

It is important to remember that these "lockdown" measures are imitating Italy, because most countries waited too long and have no other choice now when faced with a frightening and rising death toll. But we don't know if Italy will be successful. Even in the most optimistic scenario (new cases and deaths start decreasing in two weeks), and even with borders closed, the virus will still be in the country - ready to rise again exponentially as soon as things go back to normal.

To effectively fight the virus, health care will have to be increased massively even for non-critical cases: everyone with a fever will have to be tested, infected people will have to quickly be hospitalized away from their families. Needless to say this is very difficult and will require huge spending at a time of global recession. (And all because Western government experts had no clue what to do even one month after South Korea led the way.)

More realistically, we will live in semi-lockdown for a very long time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

No one can pay their bills.

The government should make them gamble for the bail out money...Vultures.

• Haha 1

Be honest people who traveled in the past few days against all govt warnings and now stuck

I have no sympathy... 

Canadian govt pretty much said if you are stuck in a country with shut down travel, well to bad. 

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Florida really seems to be dropping the ball here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/hollywood-crisis-coronavirus-layoffs-1203535968/

“I’m not going to have any income,” said Matthew Walsh, who was working as the assistant to a television director before production stopped. “I’m going to have to apply for unemployment. That might be enough to pay my rent and buy some food, but utilities and all those other things will have to come out of my savings.”

ps i would suggest very very much to take a look at this, if people think that the virus will be the only problem ,well , this right there will probably be a bigger problem

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, john2000 said:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/hollywood-crisis-coronavirus-layoffs-1203535968/

“I’m not going to have any income,” said Matthew Walsh, who was working as the assistant to a television director before production stopped. “I’m going to have to apply for unemployment. That might be enough to pay my rent and buy some food, but utilities and all those other things will have to come out of my savings.”

ps i would suggest very very much to take a look at this, if people think that the virus will be the only problem ,well , this right there will probably be a bigger problem

Millions of people will be fucked. I'm kind of fortunate, considering some circumstances of mine. Even if I lose a job.

• Like 1

Looks like I'm going in to work tomorrow... unless there's an update in the morning.

Posted (edited)

Just receive a text message from my president, probably sent to every french cellphone.

France is basicaly under martial law.

Any movement is forbidden unless you have an authorisation to go to work, do your errands or go to a medical facility.

Details seem sketchy ... not sure how it s gonna work.

The army is being deployed ... which is not very big so I don't know what they will accomplish but you can see on twitter some military equipment & personal being deployed in some cities

No way people are gonna respect those orders.

Not everybody at least.

French people are rarely compliant.

This is pretty surreal.

We still have massive massive shortages of masks, gloves ...

I saw plenty of pictures in asian countries where everyone has a mask in the streets, here in France, it is impossible, we don't have enough and they are reserved for hospitals ...

Sweet jesus.

They know we follow the italian curve ... and it is last resort decisions now.

Think of us a bit.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Guys, we’re going to be okay. Shit’s gonna be ugly for awhile but we’ll get through. Just buckle up, push ahead, and let’s help each other out when possible. 

Thanks, kinda needed this post. All negativity is soul crushing right now.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Millions of people will be fucked. I'm kind of fortunate, considering some circumstances of mine. Even if I lose a job.

this will be worse than the virus itself, its idiotic, for goverments , its like saying i stopped a big serious problem yes, but when it ends, i would have made 3 big serious problems, that could be more devastating, in the long run, the most effective measures that can be taken are tests and test , quarantines and other such measures, cant last for a very long periot of time

the most stupid thing that i have seen , is that many goverments, must hit 1000 cases a day to do something  as drastic, if the had did this kind of measures like when they had 100-300 cases, the situation wouldnt be nearly as bad

Edited by john2000

I live in Brampton.  It's a northern suburb of Toronto.  There is talk that we are going to be on lock down pretty soon.  All bars, restaurants, libraries, theatres and so on are basically closed down.  People are being urged to work from home and to not go outside unless they absolutely must.  Schools and colleges are closed.  There are no sporting events and gatherings of more than 50 people is being frowned upon.  

Now here's the kicker.  I work for the city as a bus driver.  We are considered an essential service.  This means that along with fire, police, paramedics and doctors, we are forced to work throughout all of this no matter what.  If martial law is instituted (and it's not far off) I'm still expected to show up for work.  I understand it but I don't like it.  Working on a bus, we easily pick up 200-300-400 passengers a day.  Right now, I'm sanitizing my hands about 25 times a day and I take three showers every day.  I'm doing all I can to make sure I'm as safe as can be.  But it seems really unfair and rather dangerous to make us work, especially around all different kinds of people.  

Just a rant.  Had to get it off my mind.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Posted (edited)

Again, testing on a massive scale requires huge ressources, logistics and preparation, it s not because you say " test everyone, or as many as possible, do it" that it is gona happen like a magic trick.

South Korea was able to do it because they were the best prepared country in the world as far as testing goes because they had a situation in 2015 that rang all the right bells in the south korean health department.

And again, since SOuth Korea was prepared, they could test from the get go, at the very beginning of the outbreak and finding so many patients 0 so quickly changed everything for their country.

Edited by The Futurist

@baumer Yeah man i suggest wearing a mask or make your union get one for you.

I was planning to get married in October and all plans are a go but I have held off against do any further planning.

Crazy thing is some  vendors know what money up front as they worried about cancellations ... 

"I said no one can plan out anything for the next few days right now you want me to put everything down?"

Told them i am not paying a further cent till things settle down. I doubt they will cancel me, I know the wedding business has just collapsed anyways. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Futurist said:

Again, testing on a massive scale requires huge ressources, logistics and preparation, it s not because you say " test everyone, or as many as possible, do it" that it is gona happen like a magic trick.

South Korea was able to do it because they were the best prepared country in the world as far as testing goes because they had a situation in 2015 that rang all the right bells in the south korean health department.

this, right now there is not the perfect solution, massive test is efficient, but only if you have the manpower, and the resources to do it, if not, the bye, as for lockdown,quarrantines, and agressive measures, close bars etc, thats also effective, but it cant last for a long period of time without some, very very serious consequensis, and if your economy is not good to begin with, then bye too

Make no mistake, folks.

THIS IS WAR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

@baumer Yeah man i suggest wearing a mask or make your union get one for you.

I was planning to get married in October and all plans are a go but I have held off against do any further planning.

Crazy thing is some  vendors know what money up front as they worried about cancellations ... 

"I said no one can plan out anything for the next few days right now you want me to put everything down?"

Told them i am not paying a further cent till things settle down. I doubt they will cancel me, I know the wedding business has just collapsed anyways. 

The masks are useless.  This is one thing people don't realize.  The masks available to the public don't stop you from getting the virus, they prevent you from spreading it.  We do have bus shields that separate us from the passengers.  So there's a good 5 or 6 feel between us and them, so I feel safe.  But I really think it's inevitable that most Canadians will get it.  Just have to hope my immune system is strong enough to fight it off.  

• Like 3