DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

230 billion, at least half of which is completely wasted and not needed. 

I'd rather spent quadruple that on small businesses and employees impacted by this quarantine. Give it to people who can prove they need it. 1k will help for what 1 month?

"Prove they need it" is just a recipe for disaster. Do you realize the many millions who are going to be screwed here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

FWIW, it's not just Bernie/Biden tomorrow in Ohio, but congressional primaries as well. 

fuck

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Made it to page 166 before a CJohn/playground joke, a new BOT record!!! 

Oh it has been made on Telegram.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I want to know what Asian experts have to say about that, their Western counterparts have been absolutely dreadful lately.

The use of masks has been widespread in some Asian countries for some time. It isn't the reason they are doing so well (government actions matter a lot more), but it can't hurt. The problem in the West is that even hospital workers don't have enough of them, it isn't an option for the elderly and other people at risk.

Most face mask production facilities are located in Asia so we have enough supply (shortage only recently, but China is back on track and is capable of producing 500 million to 1 billion masks per day). It is not recommended in Western countries because once the warning is out, their supply of face masks will vanish even quicker than toilet paper. They can't recommend it, doesn't mean that it's ineffective. It's just that they can't.

In some of our most recent cases, there was one involving a group of 3 cashiers and two virus carrying British customers, the only cashier that got infected was one that pull her mask down while talking. Obviously the British guys didn't have any mask, but think about it, if all of them wore mask, we wouldn't have had any transmission, much less having to disinfect the whole area.

Phó Giám đốc Sở tiết lộ lý do nữ nhân viên siêu thị nhiễm Covid-19

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Ontario they’ve now recommended that  restaurants only do take out and delivery, I work for a large company and my location wasn’t on the list of take out only restaurants so tomorrow might be my last day of work for who knows how long ( or if we ever reopen). They’re having a conference call at 9am tomorrow so I should know in the morning but things aren’t looking good. This has hit us hard.

I’ve worked for the company(and this location) for 25 years now so this is pretty surreal for me if we do end up closing. Anything can happen, but I guess we’ll see.

Still, things could be worse, so I’ll just take it in stride and see what the government is planning on doing.

I hope everyone is holding up ok, things are looking bleak but they’ll turn around eventually. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

28 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Made it to page 166 before a CJohn/playground joke, a new BOT record!!! 

I’m your huckleberry. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

America's stimulus program sucks. Mitt Romney's 1000 $ a person is idiotic.

We need to establish massive small business loans, temporary relief for student loan payments, auto payments, mortgage payments etc for those who can prove they can't pay for it.

It’s both not enough and better than nothing. I would hope they do a direct payment AND some of the other deferments/loans you mention. 

41 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I want to know what Asian experts have to say about that, their Western counterparts have been absolutely dreadful lately.

The use of masks has been widespread in some Asian countries for some time. It isn't the reason they are doing so well (government actions matter a lot more), but it can't hurt. The problem in the West is that even hospital workers don't have enough of them, it isn't an option for the elderly and other people at risk.

The widespread use of surgical masks in Asia isn't really for that reason although it does play apart.  This article is from 2014.

https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-history-of-why-asians-wear-surgical-masks-in-public/

An extra 39 cases up to 11am this morning.  It was an extra 37 the day before.

NSW cases exceed 200

There are now 210 cases of the novel coronavirus in NSW, the state's health minister Brad Hazzard said on Tuesday morning.

Since 11am on Monday, the state has recorded an additional 39 confirmed COVID-19 cases.

There are now 418 cases nationally including 94 cases in Victoria and 68 in Queensland (an earlier figure included a person who is now included in NSW's figures).

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

If you are not sick, do not buy a face mask. If you have one already and you are well, it is not recommended that you use it.

Face masks are now in short supply globally, and prices have surged. This is making it difficult for healthcare workers to get the supplies they need to keep themselves safe so they can stay healthy, keep treating patients, and avoid spreading the infection. This tragic situation is exacerbating the outbreak.

In addition to putting healthcare workers at risk, wearing a mask may also put you at risk. For one thing, face masks are not entirely effective. Masks still leave your eyes exposed—if rubbed with germy hands, they can be an entry point for viruses. Surgical masks are loose-fitting and leave open the possibility of infectious particles working their way around the mouth. Even the use of N95 respirators, which are designed to protect against respiratory droplets, may not be that helpful to you, since they require proper fitting, and many people do not wear them correctly or consistently.

Some experts suggest that when members of the public wear face masks, they tend to fuss with them and touch their faces more. This increases the risk of transferring pathogens from hands to entry points. Also, if you touch the outside surface of a contaminated face mask, you can then contaminate your hand and go on to infect yourself. This negates the purpose of wearing a face mask.

Last, some health experts worry that wearing face masks may give people a false sense of security, potentially making them lax about other precautions and protections.

The only time experts recommend that members of the public wear a mask is if they are caring for a sick person or are already sick and showing signs of COVID-19. In that case, wearing a mask could reduce the risk that you will spread the infection to others.

Otherwise, masks should be reserved for healthcare workers.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/#h22

The Surgical masks,like you doctors wear in the movies are useless to protect you from getting the disease, althought they will keep you from spreading your germs.If you are sick,wear one. They are in pretty common supply.

But the face masks are different.You  have to be fitted for one, and they are in short supply. Save them for the people who need them.

Anyway, they are not pratical to wear all day. They do restrict breathing, and you will be short of breath after just walking a block or so.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

What started this whole thing?

The Bats.

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

America's stimulus program sucks. Mitt Romney's 1000 $ a person is idiotic.

We need to establish massive small business loans, temporary relief for student loan payments, auto payments, mortgage payments etc for those who can prove they can't pay for it.

It not Romney's original idea. It has been floating around DC for a few weeks, even before the virus.

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

It not Romney's idea. It has been floating around DC for a few weeks, even before the virus.

#YANGGANG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

the mixing of bats and pengalin   

26 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I did.  I started the thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7