DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This is GREAT news. 

I wonder....if everyone in the world got locked down at the same time for 3 weeks, could the virus be completely eradicated?

would that not be the cheapest and shortest way to fix it?

and as a bonus, they might eliminate other infectious diseases as well.

Edited by AndyK

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I wonder....if everyone in the world got locked down at the same time for 3 weeks, could the virus be completely eradicated?

Hypothetically, I guess you could say it would completely stop the spread. But a TOTAL worldwide lockdown is impossible. You can't get nearly 8 billion people and 200+ governments on board. People need to eat, people need essential services. 

Such a lockdown would stop future spread of the virus, but since there are at this point thousands of cases that are asymptomatic, the number of infections would keep going up for a few weeks. 

The amount of babies that will be born in ~9 months time...

Latest update

18 March 2020:

We now advise all Australians: do not travel overseas at this time. This is our highest advice level (level 4 of 4).

If you are already overseas and wish to return to Australia, we recommend you do so as soon as possible by commercial means.

Regardless of your destination, age or health, our advice is do not travel at this time.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/news-and-updates/coronavirus-covid-19

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DAJK said:

But people can't throw around numbers as though 0.4%, 4%, or 10% as though they mean the same thing, and that they're equally likely. If 4-10% of the human race were to die from this, we should all just shut off our computers right now because it would be a civilization-ending event. 

Civilization altering, not civilization ending. Life would go on, it just would not be the same as "before".

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Baby boomers

Gen X

Millennials

Zoomers 

And the upcoming new generation...

The coronaboomers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Civilization altering, not civilization ending. Life would go on, it just would not be the same as "before".

i doubt that, humans never learn , as for goverments lol good joke nothing will change most likely

Edited by john2000

Posted (edited)

When did the number of Coronavirus cases in the US reach 6000? It was just above 4000 a few hours ago. I'm guessing 10,000 cases by Friday.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

When did the number of Coronavirus cases in the US reach 6000? It was just above 4000 a few hours ago. I'm guessing 10,000 cases by Friday.

some caught it while voting in florida and illinois 😄

12 minutes ago, excel1 said:

That's assuming people do not use contraceptive methods.

Who is in the mood for more babies with an outbreak looming? I would think for the future baby and delay reproduction.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

There is 100% NOT a 2% death rate in the US.

Presently, the fatality rate in the US is officially 1.6%.  We'll see if that holds. I suspect it will rise rapidly as the number of cases explodes and hospitals run out of capacity. Hopefully I'm wrong. We'll know in less than a week. With 1,600 new positive tests in the last 24 hours things are definitely not going in the right direction in the US.

Edited by doublejack
fixed math error

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

1.600 new cases in the last 24 hours. Your 10k forecast is too low. We'll pass 10k cases on Thursday. We could be headed to 15k+ cases by Friday.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, DAJK said:

But people can't throw around numbers as though 0.4%, 4%, or 10% as though they mean the same thing, and that they're equally likely. If 4-10% of the human race were to die from this, we should all just shut off our computers right now because it would be a civilization-ending event. 

It's gonna be globally 1% give or take I bet maybe lower like .85%

37 minutes ago, Nova said:

Whenever you’re playing with life and death or even long term effects of a situation, numbers shouldn’t be thrown around. “Oh only 4%” or “Oh only .4%” Because whether it’s 0.1% or 99.9%, if you or your loved one fall under the percentage of something happening then the number doesn’t mean anything anymore, now does it? 

4% versus .8% let's say (wishful average I hope for) is insanely different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

You genuinely think 4% of the global population is going to die? Do you realize how astronomical that is? 312 MILLION people, that's nearly three times the number of people who died in ALL WARS of the 20th century COMBINED. 

Even 1% is nuts to discuss right now (78M people give or take) which is more than the Spanish Flu. People can't just throw around %s willy nilly when considering the entire human population. 4% and 10% aren't the same thing at all, and 4% is also INSANE. 

I'm not saying that 0.4% have died already, and the numbers are gonna go up from there. But the worst-case scenarios proposed by experts at this point are at 0.4%

So your reasoning is that it's impossible for 4% of the population to die because that's alot of people?

That's not very scientific.

There have been 31,000 cases in Italy and 2,500 deaths. That's around 8 percent.

Death rates in third world countries will probably be higher.

0.2% death rate is the flu.

2% is the death rate of covid 19.

To put those numbers in perspective, 1 in 500 people who catch the flu die.

Corona kills 1 out of 50 of those infected.

So pretending coronavirus has a similar death rate as the flu is very misleading.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Latest update

18 March 2020:

We now advise all Australians: do not travel overseas at this time. This is our highest advice level (level 4 of 4).

If you are already overseas and wish to return to Australia, we recommend you do so as soon as possible by commercial means.

Regardless of your destination, age or health, our advice is do not travel at this time.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/news-and-updates/coronavirus-covid-19

Dmbased of Canada you can expect your government to shut down the Border soon

Edited by Lordmandeep

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The common cold would also get away.

12 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Presently, the fatality rate in the US is officially .16%.  We'll see if that holds. I suspect it will rise rapidly as the number of cases explodes and hospitals run out of capacity. Hopefully I'm wrong. We'll know in less than a week.

Do you not mean 1.6% instead ? It depend how testing ramp-up as well, it could also go toward around Swiss (1%) / South Korea (.97%) / Norway (0.2%) / Germany (0.25%) / Singapore (0%) level if they start to test massively.

1.6% is really really high for the country that has by a good amount the most ICU bed by capita in the world like the USA.

Edited by Barnack

59 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

With so much negativity around, man your posts are what we need, thanks.

• Like 1