DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Posted (edited)

In France, my workplace has put us on forced paid leave. I keep going out despite the lockdown (printed 3 authorizations yesterday alone : groceries, running x 2) and nothing has happened. I don't see why the government should be allowed to prevent me from going where I please. I want to remind people that there are probably 10 times as many cases in the wild compared to the official numbers, so the morality rate is probably around 0,3%.  It's ridiculous how people are willing to accept totalitarian-like measures just because of fear and media propaganda. 

I must say I do enjoy the empty streets. 

Edited by Cynosure
  • ...wtf 1

Also as for taking precautions when it comes to hygiene, I recomend people take time to wash their mobile phones as well as their hands. The amount of people i see washing their hands then getting straight back onto their news feed is baffling. We touch our phones all day without a thought to the amount of germs we put on there

Posted (edited)

Mortality rate not looking good overall. 

Around 4%.

Edited by Madhuvan
Sorry for miscalculation

In more cheery news... Eurovision Song Contest had been cancelled.

4 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

In France, my workplace has put us on forced paid leave. I keep going out despite the lockdown (printed 3 authorizations yesterday alone : groceries, running x 2) and nothing has happened. I don't see why the government should be allowed to prevent me from going where I please. I want to remind people that there are probably 10 times as many cases in the wild compared to the official numbers, so the morality rate is probably around 0,3%.  It's ridiculous how people are willing to accept totalitarian-like measures just because of fear and media propaganda. 

I must say I do enjoy the empty streets. 

Because the government would rather not be seen as not caring for the elderly or vulnerable. For them to simply do nothing and potentially allow even 0.1% of the population to die from the virus would really piss off a lot of people. 

Just now, MadJosh said:

Because the government would rather not be seen as not caring for the elderly or vulnerable. For them to simply do nothing and potentially allow even 0.1% of the population to die from the virus would really piss off a lot of people. 

But the flu kills thousand each years. If the coronavirus kills 2 or 3 times as many people as the flu, it will be sad, but hardly worth stopping the world over. 

FWIW,

Here is a rundown of the first 100 deaths in the US. There are some with no information other than what state and county they patient was in, but for most of them they have a general age and whether they had underlying health conditions.

Not surprisingly, the vast majority of them have been our elderly citizens. The youngest confirmed death is 53.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/health/coronavirus-united-states-deaths/index.html

14 minutes ago, MadJosh said:

Its close to home now, a friend of mine has the virus after being tested. He's happy as he gets to play Warzone for 2 weeks. Ive actually seen a number of people wishing for the virus just to enjoy the 2 weeks home from work  

Unfortunately even if i got ill i'd still have to force myself to work 

If you tested positive for it and showed up for work, you'd probably get others sick. there's a reason the governor of Kentucky enforced a quarantine on someone.

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Around 8%.

I am sad as an Indian your math is lacking :)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, MadJosh said:

Its close to home now, a friend of mine has the virus after being tested. He's happy as he gets to play Warzone for 2 weeks. Ive actually seen a number of people wishing for the virus just to enjoy the 2 weeks home from work  

Unfortunately even if i got ill i'd still have to force myself to work 

While it's apparently rather harmless in many cases, it's still a flu-like disease ... at my son's office, there are three people positive - one of them indeed without any symptoms and the other one with mild ones, but the 3rd (mother of three) was running a very high fever for a few days, then thought she was getting better but had a relapse yesterday, again with high fever and serious headache. Just saying - wishing for this seems rather stupid. (Apart from the danger of infecting other ones)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Around 8%.

Just under 4%. Plus... existing conditions etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If you tested positive for it and showed up for work, you'd probably get others sick. there's a reason the governor of Kentucky enforced a quarantine on someone.

I own a business and work with 2 other employees. I would send them home with pay and go in on my own. I cant stop working as i supply to food packaging companies who are ordering through the roof right now 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am sad as an Indian your math is lacking :)

Im guessing he's taking that percentage from recovered cases

Hopefully all European experts will be rounded up and sent to a reeducation camp, it is obvious the "herd immunity" insanity was designed somewhere in Brussels or Washington - they all love the idea and that is why they barely tried containment:

Dutch parliamentarians debate 'herd immunity' strategy

Dutch plans to press ahead with a controversial ‘herd immunity’ strategy against the coronavirus outbreak continued to face criticism today as parliamentarians debated an approach which the Netherlands appears to be alone in pursuing.

In a speech to the nation on Monday, Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte said that the Netherlands would aim to develop immunity to coronavirus among its population by allowing large numbers to contract the illness at a controlled pace

“Those who have had the virus are usually immune afterwards. Just like in the old days with measles."

But while Rutte insisted on Tuesday that his country’s strategy differed little from that of other states, the Dutch approach comes after the UK backed away from the course of action, leaving some Duth people to wonder if had become “the guineapigs of Europe.”

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Hopefully all European experts will be rounded up and sent to a reeducation camp, it is obvious the "herd immunity" insanity was designed somewhere in Brussels or Washington - they all love the idea and that is why they barely tried containment:

This herd immunity will be something most countries will have to adopt at some point over the next year. Its either that or keep earth close for the foreseeable future 

Thing is herd strategy could work if we find effective treatments first and expand our healthcare first

Best is to lockdown for now.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just under 4%. Plus... existing conditions etc. 

There are so many people with symptoms, and indeed those without, who aren't being tested that at this point mortality rates are almost completely impossible to discern. In some countries like the UK they are going to look huge, but that's because basically positive tests are now just coming from people in hospital.

In addition to which, any dynamics such as tendencies towards immunity or passivity caused by former viruses/genetic dispositions/smoking and other living behaviours/medication are all virtual guesses, even unknowns - all of which have the possibility or raising or lowering mortality rates. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Testing in NSW only results in 1% confirmed case rate. Seems very low. 

Could it be that warm temperature makes the virus less infectious?