DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

"Let's kill 1% of the population, most of them would be old anyway. We need to reopen the malls as fast as possible."

^ That's probably what those "expert" psychopaths were thinking. They didn't even figure out it would overwhelm the entire health care system and would result in general lockdowns anyway.

still the entire planet cant be like this for one year, thats impossible , and i doubt that the citizens themselves can do that too

Edited by john2000

Posted (edited)

You can have a partial quarantine. Encourage the elderly and those with underlying conditions to remain quarantined, but allow the majority of the population who remain unaffected by this to continue on living and develop immunity. To punish the entire population because a small % of the population could die is insane.

If to continue living normally I have to put off seeing my grandmother for a year, that's fine with me.  

Edited by Cynosure

35 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

FWIW,

Here is a rundown of the first 100 deaths in the US. There are some with no information other than what state and county they patient was in, but for most of them they have a general age and whether they had underlying health conditions.

Not surprisingly, the vast majority of them have been our elderly citizens. The youngest confirmed death is 53.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/health/coronavirus-united-states-deaths/index.html

Again, this is gonna be limited b/c the nursing home hot spot was where the virus took hold very early...and those deaths have been fast...

37 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

But the flu kills thousand each years. If the coronavirus kills 2 or 3 times as many people as the flu, it will be sad, but hardly worth stopping the world over. 

Tell that to the thousands of familys around the world who have already lost loved ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Tell that to the thousands of familys around the world who have already lost loved ones.

thats a good point, but you cant lockdown the entire planet for a year, measures can help a lot, but the solutions that we have right now are temporary, with an expire date, and not long term , the situtation is way too complicated to solve until we get a vaccine

Edited by john2000

50 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

But the flu kills thousand each years. If the coronavirus kills 2 or 3 times as many people as the flu, it will be sad, but hardly worth stopping the world over. 

Flu's mortality rate is about 0.1%. Coronavirus is about 3-4%. It will kill 30-40 times as many people as the flu

• Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, john2000 said:

still the entire planet cant be like this for one year, thats impossible , and i doubt that the citizens themselves can do that too

We are softer now than we were 100 years ago. Public goes nuts over anything today

9 minutes ago, john2000 said:

thats a good point, but you cant lockdown the entire planet for a year, measures can help a lot, but the solutions that we have right now are temporary, with an expire date, and not long term , the situtation is way too complicated to solve until we get a vaccine

Yes of course its not a longterm-solution. But the first few weeks/months of an epidemic or pandemic are the most crucial ones where we could hope to flatten the curve and prevent mass-infections. Therefore these extreme lockdown measures are now and for the next weeks absolutely necessary. Then we have to wait how the situation plays out. If (which i hope) the lockdowns have an effect, the restrictions will most likely be lowered bit by bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Flu's mortality rate is about 0.1%. Coronavirus is about 3-4%. It will kill 30-40 times as many people as the flu

not exactly india alone could have 100 million people infected, if this could be the case, then the death rate is way way lower , idk why people use these numbers and death rates that are not true at all

i really dont understand some people, are people really think that in a planet of 7,8 billion people that only 200 k are infected ? lol good joke, india could have 100 million people infected alone , if not more, so how can people use the death rate like an arguement when its for sure as hell heavily flawed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

not exactly india alone could have 100 million people infected, if this could be the case, then the death rate is way way lower , idk why people use these numbers and death rates that are not true at all

Because people only ever talk about stats. Try watching American sports, everything is stats stats stats, even though stats can be easily manipulated 

Just now, MadJosh said:

Because people only ever talk about stats. Try watching American sports, everything is stats stats stats, even though stats can be easily manipulated 

stats or not , it doesnt make sense, if in reality the infections are ww at idk say 200 million, which is way more likely than 200k , then the death rate its way lower, what i mean is that bc exactly we dont know what the exact number of infections is, and we may never will, we wont have the best solution that we can have

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

stats or not , it doesnt make sense, if in reality the infections are ww at idk say 200 million, which is way more likely than 200k , then the death rate its way lower, what i mean is that bc exactly we dont know what the exact number of infections is, and we may never will, we wont have the best solution that we can have

Most people are aware the actual number of infected is much higher. Even the UK suspected we had 50000 unreported cases just 2 days ago. Obviously there will always be a few that ignores the obvious and scares themselves with the numbers they are told. Reminds me of that series Chernobyl, they arent giving us the accurate number, just the one they have

so the border between Canada and the US will close.

• Like 1

when you have wrong data, then you cant take the best possible measure, and unfortunately, we will never know they real number of infections, every country can have 200k infections alone, hell my country greece can have this kind of infections, but almost all of them could be asymptometic, at the same time, i wonder how goverments make tests ? i mean you cant know if you have the virus, 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

You can have a partial quarantine. Encourage the elderly and those with underlying conditions to remain quarantined, but allow the majority of the population who remain unaffected by this to continue on living and develop immunity. To punish the entire population because a small % of the population could die is insane.

If to continue living normally I have to put off seeing my grandmother for a year, that's fine with me.  

That's not how it works. A lot of people live with their family, grandparents and even parents included. You might not care about this thing's effects on you because you are young but that shouldn't mean other people have to be affected because you can't respect a TEMPORARY quarantine.

My country has thousands in quarantine but some are like SCREW IT and do what they please. Thankfully the government just moved today to increase the penalty for intentional disregard of the health measures in a time of crisis to up to 5 years in prison. 

Edited by James
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

its very funny that people buy 10 tons of toilet paper, but like 2 or 3 soaps

Several people that i know in Italy and France are feeling ill in the past days, with coronavirus like symptoms. They requested to get tested but were denied by the hospitals because they have only mild symptoms and the few test kits are reserved only for the severe cases. One has even recovered and he'll never know if he ever had covid-19 or not. With so many undetected cases, the mortality rate is probably much lower than the official numbers.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1