DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 11:52 AM, Lordmandeep said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/28/canada-chinese-community-battles-racist-backlash-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

Things are not great here in Toronto.... 

No the disease is not out of control but a 2003 Sars epidemic still is widely remembered and as a result there has been a lot of vitriol put against the Chinese community in Toronto as they are seen to be 'blamed' to bringing disease to the city. 

@JasonNot sure if accurate but hearing from many people I know this all due to some guy in China wanted to eat raw bat and such. 

The raw bat story sounds like urban legend, probably inspired by the movie "Contagion" about a killer epidemic in the US that originates in China and it traces back to bad food in a restaurant. A movie which, I read, is having a huge boost in popularity on streaming because of this outbreak.

I would urge people to be very cautious about rumors....and there will be hundreds of them. To spread them about in a situation like this is very irresponsible and stupid. THis is for real, folks, this is not some stupid fanboy game.

The dangerous thing is all it takes is one person with the virus returning from China and a nation has a outbreak.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, dudalb said:

BTW all theaters in China are being closed until further notice.

Financial institutions to open monday with reduced staff with masks.  Non essential businesses to remain shut until Feb 9 in some provinces. 

14 hours ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

great work but there is no point analysising fake numbers...

It gives us an idea and we can always assume worse.  We will be able to compare international numbers in the coming days to get get a better grip.

Edited by POTUS 2020
18 hours ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

great work but there is no point analysising fake numbers...

lets see how international compares to china as it starts to spread.  4 Germans got it from one Chinese woman that was visiting. The first multiple spread abroad

Slightly larger number today but smaller percentage.  162 of 170 death are in Hubei.  Makes me wonder if the lag is more than 3 days since very few have passed elsewhere.  its 6.1% of 3 days ago.  13% of 5 days ago.

One idiot expert thought it to be 3%, which would be the percentage of the prior day.  Most are not dying within 24 hours, obvious to me since no one has died in other countries in the week since its been discovered and now up to 110, was 44 three days ago.

Corona Total Inf Count Daily Count Daily % Inc 2 day % Inc Deaths % of Inf 3 days ago Healed Foreign Infect Daily Count Daily % Inc 2 day % Inc Deaths
12/08/19 1                      
01/17/20 45                      
01/18/20 62 17 37.8%                  
01/19/20 121 59 95.2% 168.9%                
01/20/20 198 77 63.6% 219.4%                
01/21/20 270 72 36.4% 123.1%                
01/22/20 420 150 55.6% 112.1%                
01/23/20 570 150 35.7% 111.1%                
01/24/20 800 230 40.4% 90.5%                
01/25/20 1300 500 62.5% 128.1% 41 9.8%            
01/26/20 2019 719 55.3% 152.4% 56 9.8%            
01/27/20 2794 775 38.4% 114.9% 80 10.0% 47 44        
01/28/20 4474 1680 60.1% 121.6% 107 8.2% 63 59 15 34.1%    
01/29/20 6057 1583 35.4% 116.8% 132 6.5% 110 87 28 47.5% 97.7%  
01/30/20 7911 1854 30.6% 76.8% 170 6.1% 133 110 23 26.4% 86.4% 0

02/20/20 100,000,000 Proj at current rate                
Edited by POTUS 2020
30 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

If I was the pm of canada I would ban all air travel to amd from china

I am a bit sad that it seems official policy around this matter is being driven by political correctness than Public Safety

Same thing here, people complaining that they want to get home which is understandable but we have to look at the bigger picture 

Edited by Ninenin
1 hour ago, Ninenin said:

Having my post deleted because its not politically correct during a situation like this is ridiculous. These people skin cats and dogs alive, they have aborted human baby soup and now their sick food habbit has caused a serious concern for the rest of us. I think its fair to have a negative opinion on some of them.

My friend is currently living in thailand and the post popular movie on his streaming site right now is Contagion. I thought that was quite amusing.

I wish I saw the post

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am a bit sad that it seems official policy around this matter is being driven by political correctness than Public Safety

You posted an article earlier that mentions racism.  PC is shit. If a disease was spread by people over 6 feet tall and people were wary of us, would they be called heightist?

I take my daughter to a playground every morning.  Mostly foreigners, including myself, in my town in Malta.  I recognize most parents that come daily. I Chinese man and daughter showed up for the first time.  I was concerned.  Then a Chinese lady and daughter came by that I've known for months and she came right up to me and asked if I've seen him before. I said no. She started yelling across the playground. Is she racist? no. She questioned him harshly(in tone) about his stay in Malta.  She told me he was ok, been here three months working.  otherwise she said she was going to tell him to go away.

My point is hundreds of flights are still leaving everyday with 100k+ people and over 100 have brought a virus internationally scary enough to shut down China.  People are going to be concerned, not racists, including Chinese residents in other countries.

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, POTUS 2020 said:

I wish I saw the post

You posted an article earlier that mentions racism.  PC is shit. If a disease was spread by people over 6 feet tall and people were wary of us, would they be called heightist?

I take my daughter to a playground every morning.  Mostly foreigners, including myself, in my town in Malta.  I recognize most parents that come daily. I Chinese man and daughter showed up for the first time.  I was concerned.  Then a Chinese lady and daughter came by that I've known for months and she came right up to me and asked if I've seen him before. I said no. She started yelling across the playground. Is she racist? no. She questioned him harshly(in tone) about his stay in Malta.  She told me he was ok, been here three months working.  otherwise she said she was going to tell him to go away.

My point is hundreds of flights are still leaving everyday with 100k+ people and over 100 have brought a virus internationally scary enough to shut down China.  People are going to be concerned, not racists, including Chinese residents in other countries.

Its stereotyping which in todays age is frowned upon. The funny thing is all evolved living things stereotype in a way, its why humans are alive today. Its why an abused cat will take a long time to trust a new owner or an airline passenger being weary of guys wearing a turban soon after 9/11. Its not nice and is seen as a racist trait but it's just down to who we are biologically. If i saw 4 kids wearing a hoodie in a dark alley i'd stereotype them as potential trouble and walk away. 

That being said there are 2 billion chinese people on this planet and 7700 confirmed cases so if i do see a chinese guy walking down the street i fancy my odds of 1 in 259740 so probably wont panic, though i understand if people do and they shouldn't be scrutinised for it 

• Like 1

Just avoid Chinese folks for the time being. Even Oklahoma has 2 suspected cases which will be determined if they are positive or not today. They were tested and released. 

https://kfor.com/2020/01/29/oklahoma-medical-officials-awaiting-coronavirus-test-results-on-two-people/

I'm more interested in the comment about all Chinese theatres shutting down for a period of time. That sounds unprecedented to me. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-shuts-down-movie-theaters-during-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak-2020-1

26 minutes ago, nghtvsn said:

Just avoid Chinese folks for the time being. Even Oklahoma has 2 suspected cases which will be determined if they are positive or not today. They were tested and released. 

https://kfor.com/2020/01/29/oklahoma-medical-officials-awaiting-coronavirus-test-results-on-two-people/

I'm more interested in the comment about all Chinese theatres shutting down for a period of time. That sounds unprecedented to me. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-shuts-down-movie-theaters-during-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak-2020-1

Gavin called that early on in the china thread.  CNY BO of $1.5B postponed.

Shutting down cities and extending CNY holiday also unprecedented

That's why I'm tracking this thing.  They think its huge and probably bigger than officially reported

Edited by POTUS 2020
4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

SARS killed 44 people in Canada and Canada was the only western country to have any deaths through SARS.

CV is less contagious than SARS (reportedly) which is also a CV variant.

Flu kills 3,500 people annually in Canada, 60,000 in the USA.

Get some perspective !

3 hours ago, Ninenin said:

Having my post deleted because its not politically correct during a situation like this is ridiculous. These people skin cats and dogs alive, they have aborted human baby soup and now their sick food habbit has caused a serious concern for the rest of us. I think its fair to have a negative opinion on some of them.

My friend is currently living in thailand and the post popular movie on his streaming site right now is Contagion. I thought that was quite amusing.

Your thoughts are not unreasonable

Bad people exist everywhere. A good system educates common citizens to become better citizens. A bad system, on opposite, turns normal citizens into bad citizens. On the surface, this is a problem caused by some bad Chinese ctizens. Deep down, it is an inevitable result of a special bad sytsem.

Without commies ruling, legislation to that could be made to prohibit unhuman use of animals in China, and a virus breakout could have been put down in the very beginning without covering up. The world would not have to face the danger of such a crisis.

my earilier post here: 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

SARS killed 44 people in Canada and Canada was the only western country to have any deaths through SARS.

Get some perspective !

Have you been watching CNN again?

Corona is far more contagious. It took SARS more than 6 months to get to 8000. Corona has taken 6 weeks

SARS had 10-200 daily cases reported at its peak.  CV's last 3 days is 1600-1800 and climbing

SARS killed 10% of infected.  The idiots at CNN and other fake news sources have said CV is at 2%.  The 2% is taken from today's Death count/today's infected count.  Most people die several days after being infected.  This could be 10% as well when dividing todays DC by 4-5 days prior infected count.

The common flu kill just .1% of those infected, mostly the elderly.  Less than  1 in 50,000, of young healthy people.  A few young people have been killed so far by CV.

If this rate continues it will spread to millions and 10% of that number will much higher than a seasonal flu death toll and a much higher percentage of young people. And the biggest issue is people can spread it for a few days without knowing they have it.

The perspective is the potential.  China sees it.  Otherwise, why would they shut down all theaters, CNY public events, extend a 7 day holiday and quarantine 50 million people?

Australia is doing the smart thing.  They are pulling their people out of China but quarantining them on an island.  

Edited by POTUS 2020
  • Like 4
  • Not Cool 1
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Get some perspective !

You do realize that unlike the Flu the virus has a much more serious impact on people.

Just because people are not dropping dead like the black death does not mean having many people sick in our country would not be a rather traumatic event, 

Another thing is the virus could mutate and become deadly like Sars or Mers.

We are sort of uncharted waters here :) 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Corona is far more contagious. It took SARS more than 6 months to get to 8000. Corona has taken 6 weeks

SARS had 10-200 daily cases reported at its peak.  CV's last 3 days is 1600-1800 and climbing

SARS killed 10% of infected.  The idiots at CNN and other fake news sources have said CV is at 2%.  The 2% is taken from today's Death count/today's infected count.  Most people die several days after being infected.  This could be 10% as well when dividing todays DC by 4-5 days prior infected count.

The common flu kill just .1% of those infected, mostly the elderly.  Less than  1 in 50,000, of young healthy people.  A few young people have been killed so far by CV.

If this rate continues it will spread to millions and 10% of that number will much higher than a seasonal flu death toll and a much higher percentage of young people. And the biggest issue is people can spread it for a few days without knowing they have it.

The perspective is the potential.  China sees it.  Otherwise, why would they shut down all theaters, CNY public events, extend a 7 day holiday and quarantine 50 million people?

Australia is doing the smart thing.  They are pulling their people out of China but quarantining them on an island.  

CV mortality rate outside Wuhan is 0.3%

Like all these flu like infections, it affects the old and sick mostly. One can conclude ground zero was populated by mainly those most at risk.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Stop panicking.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, AndyK said:

CV mortality rate outside Wuhan is 0.3%

Like all these flu like infections, it affects the old and sick mostly. One can conclude ground zero was populated by mainly those most at risk.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Stop panicking.

Im tracking and staying aware. Not panicking.  Did I say its the end of the  world, buy a gun and six months supply of food?

Its foolish to shrug it off.

.3%? Based on today's infected number. Ridiculous

Edited by POTUS 2020
7 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Problem would just travel to another country from China and then go to Canada.

the kind of total isolation you seem to be wanting is simply impossible.

And I think the pressure to allow Canadian Citizens in CHina to return would be impossible to resist.

And does the PM even have that power?

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

You do realize that unlike the Flu the virus has a much more serious impact on people.

Just because people are not dropping dead like the black death does not mean having many people sick in our country would not be a rather traumatic event, 

Another thing is the virus could mutate and become deadly like Sars or Mers.

We are sort of uncharted waters here :) 

Not really. We have had  pandemics in the past.

Last really bad one was a century ago, the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918/1919. 

1 hour ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Im tracking and staying aware. Not panicking.  Did I say its the end of the  world, buy a gun and six months supply of food?

Its foolish to shrug it off.

.3%? Based on today's infected number. Ridiculous

T

2 hours ago, POTUS 2020 said:

So where should we get are news from? FOxnews and Breibart?

• Like 1