DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Between those saying we're all gonna die

Nobody is saying that though. I am in the middle 

4 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Nobody is saying that though. I am in the middle 

i dont think she/he said you

27 minutes ago, john2000 said:

guys it will probably be  dumb question, but i have read,heard from doctors t from the articles online, that a way that the virus could end would be that it affects enough people that they become immune and the spread stops or something like that, could anyone explain it to me :)

I've read that too, and it seems that if you had been infected you're immune at least temporarily. And with 2/3 of people being immune  spread of the virus will be less than one per person and therefore it'll start to vanish.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, john2000 said:

guys it will probably be  dumb question, but i have read,heard from doctors t from the articles online, that a way that the virus could end would be that it affects enough people that they become immune and the spread stops or something like that, could anyone explain it to me :)

This isn't a very likely outcome. If containment fails, it's more likely that this becomes a seasonal illness like flu, because the coronavirus is a type of virus with a high mutation rate, meaning that immunity won't be permanent.

3 hours ago, Claudio said:

Don't panic too much. We survived many something like this years before. Going by their pattern , Corona will probably soon stop infecting people and start to vanish because of natural cause like climate and successful containment. I mean.. Either because of that or because there's no one left to be infected... Hopefully the former ones

We really haven't seen anything like this. H1N1 was far milder, being similar to regular season flu. Avian flu, SARS, and MERS are so virulent that there's no asymptomatic transmission, or even mild cases, making containment much easier.

It's true that respiratory illnesses generally fade away in the summer, but in the other cases there's already partial immunity in the population. So for this virus we can't assume that the rate of infection will fall low enough for it to fade away in the summer.

I do have hope still that containment will succeed, but it will probably take every effort from governments to test and isolate cases, rather than being able to rely on natural factors.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Between those saying we're all gonna die and those saying it's totally fine I'm sure we can find some middle! xD

tenor.gif?itemid=11603078

I guess the middle between everyone is going to die and no one is going to die is that half of us are going to die 😂😂😂

In all seriousness I think the only people that should be really concerned are those that are older or have medically underlying issues or as is my case people that live with those people (I’m living with/looking after my 75 year old grandfather) Luckily for me this hasn’t spread that much in New Zealand for now and so far all of the cases can be tracked back to international travel, so right now I’m not too worried. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Between those saying we're all gonna die and those saying it's totally fine I'm sure we can find some middle! xD

tenor.gif?itemid=11603078

This is not a discord server XD 

These anime gifs

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

This isn't a very likely outcome. If containment fails, it's more likely that this becomes a seasonal illness like flu, because the coronavirus is a type of virus with a high mutation rate, meaning that immunity won't be permanent.

We really haven't seen anything like this. H1N1 was far milder, being similar to regular season flu. Avian flu, SARS, and MERS are so virulent that there's no asymptomatic transmission, or even mild cases, making containment much easier.

It's true that respiratory illnesses generally fade away in the summer, but in the other cases there's already partial immunity in the population. So for this virus we can't assume that the rate of infection will fall low enough for it to fade away in the summer.

I do have hope still that containment will succeed, but it will probably take every effort from governments to test and isolate cases, rather than being able to rely on natural factors.

I heard something about a bird Flu that has a lethality ratio of 50%, that sounds scary and an actual societal threat.

I dont think this will be like SPanish flu as that really hit younger people. 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

This is not a discord server XD 

These anime gifs

Alright person with the Vegeta picture 😂

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I heard something about a bird Flu that has a lethality ratio of 50%, that sounds scary and an actual societal threat.

Interestingly, in  spring 1918, the Spanish flu wasn't that bad among the young...it was the following fall, 1918, that decimated them...

So, what we know today may change tomorrow, next week, and next month.  I mean, right now, we're finding out that family passage is a huge problem, b/c if one family member gets it, all seem to, no matter the age.  B/c of US laws, we can't find out what happens to each of these people exactly, so we won't know if this virus is still only affecting a certain portion severely, well, until macros can be created...and that will be weeks of data away...and by then, the virus might mutate again...

So stay vigilant, get prepared, and keeping living...don't get fatalistic or unconcerned (in both cases, you'll tend to blow off good practices - and good practices will be the biggest thing to help at a macro level that you can do on the micro level)... 

"The first wave of the 1918 pandemic occurred in the spring and was generally mild. The sick, who experienced such typical flu symptoms as chills, fever and fatigue, usually recovered after several days, and the number of reported deaths was low.

However, a second, highly contagious wave of influenza appeared with a vengeance in the fall of that same year. Victims died within hours or days of developing symptoms, their skin turning blue and their lungs filling with fluid that caused them to suffocate. In just one year, 1918, the average life expectancy in America plummeted by a dozen years."

https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Alright person with the Vegeta picture 😂

5290_weebsout.png

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

The more deadly strains of avian flu are so lethal it usually stops itself from transmitting between humans, even without containment measures. The lungs fill with fluid so quickly the person doesn't get a chance to spread the disease before being hospitalized. So somewhat paradoxically, the most deadly strains are actually less of a societal threat - although very, very bad if you happen to be one of the few people who get them.

This is almost certainly less deadly than Spanish flu based on the available information. Korea has had very thorough testing so we can be sure they're not missing many asymptomatic cases, and the case fatality rate there has been 0.6%.

Overall, the novel coronavirus is probably about 5x-10x more deadly than seasonal flu for adults, and much less deadly for children. In fact, even in China there have been no fatalities and only about one-tenth the proportion of diagnosed cases among children compared to flu - children get either mild disease or are asymptomatic.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, finally got the youth group leader to care.  He's now getting all the disposable tablecloths, alcohol wipes (for phones), and lysol wipes for tomorrow's youth dinner (we already have the disposable serving stuff).  I also suggested we set tables with "social distancing" so kids aren't on top of each other.  And we have informed parents to not bring sick kids and that we'll turn away those that come anyway.  Only took me 3 days, 1 face-to-face with the assistant, and 3 follow up emails...never say I can't be insistent when I care:)...

So, I did my part.  If this dinner becomes an outbreak source, well, then this virus is a bigger b&tch than we know, b/c this is gonna be hospital-level germ avoidance to protect some very susceptible folks and to keep some great carriers from becoming ones...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

SXSW cancelled

logical

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Jason said:

The more deadly strains of avian flu are so lethal it usually stops itself from transmitting between humans, even without containment measures. The lungs fill with luid so quickly the person doesn't get a chance to spread the disease before being hospitalized. So somewhat paradoxically, the most deadly strains are actually less of a societal threat - although very, very bad if you happen to be one of the few people who get them.

This is almost certainly less deadly than Spanish flu based on the available information. Korea has had very thorough testing so we can be sure they're not missing many asymptomatic cases, and the case fatality rate there has been 0.6%.

Overall, the novel coronavirus is probably about 5x-10x more deadly than seasonal flu for adults, and much less deadly for children. In fact, even in China there have been no fatalities and only about one-tenth the proportion of diagnosed cases among children compared to flu - children get either mild disease or are asymptomatic.

That is interesting makes me think that a pandemic that would wipe out most of humanity seems unlikely then at worst would be something like Contigant? 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Corothanos !

• Astonished 4

- Bog Iger stacks 2019 with all his biggest movies rather than move some to 2020.

- Box office 2020 is destroyed by coronavirus.

UaLpJOK.png

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Fine. I’m out. Clearly I’m poisoning wells again..... with facts and data. I’ll let the people who want to pretend this will be over in two weeks run the show.

There’s no vaccination against stupidity. Just FYI.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Where do you live? That's important in saying that spread is dying off in an area. Because that certainly isn't the case in most of the world right now.

7 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

If I am not wrong @A Marvel Fanboy is in India where the number of tests done are not that high. So I am not sure if its really settling down but India did not have much of a contact with China(not too many Chinese tourists or other way around). Biggest case block in india were set of tourists from italy and impact because of that. So I could see India getting out of this with minimal impact from infection perspective. 

US on the other hand is connected with all the infected countries and unfortunately the administration seem to take the situation lackadaisically. So we are no where close to the peak impact just from infection perspective. I think peak will be sometime in April/May and it will take few months to settle down. I am not buying the theory of warmer weather killing the virus. Otherwise how could country like Singapore have any impact where weather is always HOT. 

China actually.  very close to Hubei.

To be clear, I meant things in China should start to get normal in two weeks.

The other country is like China 5 weeks ago. People should calm down and things will be fine.

7 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

“I didn’t personally die” hardly implies “stock market is overreacting.”   

The stock market reaction is less about direct deaths anyway and more about global supply chain disruption, employment disruption, and reduction in demand for many sectors. That will probably cause a global recession before this is all done. Stock market is still under reacting for now.

As @POTUS 2020 said, people die every day. Look back next year, I doubt total deaths in 2020 on the planet would be any different to 2019/2018....

I dont think it will get that bad.

Edited by A Marvel Fanboy
  • Thanks 1