DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

South Korea is the best country with best people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

State of Georgia update from noon today.

507 cases (22% increase from the last report)

14 deaths (0 increase from last report)

16.5% positive test rate.

Georgia has switched from a once daily to twice daily updates (noon and 7 pm)

Most of the cases are in metro Atlanta, with almost 20% occuring in Fulton Co (which is where the City of Atlanta is)

There are hot spots in Bartow co (Cartersville GA) and Dougherty Co (Albany Ga).

I don't know if anyone saw, but new guidance has gone out for NYC and LA only to test those where it would lead to a significant change in treatment.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-21-20-intl-hnk/h_78c431662464112a27434663a0860cdc

Also, just as a FYI, the company I worked for announced yesterday afternoon that all employees who earn less than $100,000 per year will receive a $1,200 bonus on March 26th to help them with the current situation. (my company has roughly 60K employees)

Italy:

6557 new cases

793 deaths

943 recovered.

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That is \nonsense.

Worse case scenarios put the death toll nowhere near 50 Million,the most commonly accepted number for deaths in WW2.

No the worst case scenario would be like 2% of the world population, i.e. ~150 million people.

6 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

South Korea is the best country with best people. 

This technology should go worldwide (but can all countries afford it?).

Edited by MrGlass2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

apparently an astrologer in India

This was after the Corona 19 virus outbreak in China had made the news.Did not take a genius or mystic powers to see it would spread.

And his timing was totally off.

In other words, more proof Astrology is total bullshit.

Edited by dudalb

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That is \nonsense.

Worse case scenarios put the death toll nowhere near 50 Million,the most commonly accepted number for deaths in WW2.

Worst case scenarios seem to be in the 50M ballpark or above from what I’ve seen, though we seem to be on track to avoid them.       

But we’ve got more than 3x as many people, so I feel comfortable that we won’t get that close to WW2’s %

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andreas said:

This is just horrible. Can you think of a reason why Lombardia might be this affected? What are the authorities telling you? 

they tell me everything. Lombardy is the richest region in Italy, probably the population is old. Then the sick are many so you can not always cure them.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I am surprised how army force is not deployed at this very moment.  

What country are you talking about.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Italy:

6557 new cases

793 deaths

943 recovered.

Case growth not too bad (+10% yday), death jump extremely concerning.     

Is there a daily report on tests performed in Italy? That’s what’s really needed to know whether things are moving in the right direction yet or not.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Such a weird time to rant against "lesser" humans and sound like Thatcher on drugs. It is the government that is about to bail out the "innovators of the world" (just like in 2008 but on an even bigger scale) because corporations have spent the good years buying their own stocks instead of saving. Otherwise most of them will go bankrupt, and quite quickly.

Hey, the guy we are talking about bought into Trump's "A cure will be instantly avalable" crap.

@Jason

Could the govt ban Canadians who still travel for leisure if they left Canada after a certain date?

I think its extreme but...there are 4000 Canadians who still left on cruise ships this past week. 

tenor.gif?itemid=14113107

1 minute ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Case growth not too bad, death jump extremely concerning.     

Is there a daily report on tests performed in Italy? That’s what’s really needed to know whether things are moving in the right direction yet or not.

Death always lags big time. Hoping rate of increase starts to decrease in a week. 

Thinking USA will be at 50-70k cases by march 28th.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Oh please, he sounds like a deceptively bipartisan student of Ayn Rand. 

Dammit, you beat me to it. Does seem as though Excel has been reading a lot of Ayn Rand lately,right down to the contempt for  the "Lower Classes".

• Like 2

I can’t help but consider whether we are overreacting. Sure, COVID-19 is more transmissible and deadly than H1N1/SARS  but does that warrant a shutdown/recession?

I’m still in the better-safe-than-sorry camp but I’m not going to dismiss entirely the argument that this response is too hysterical. It’s always good to hear both sides of an argument or issue. In the end it’s probably better to have said we overreacted than to have hundreds of thousands of grandfathers and grandmothers buried because of this plague. Mathew 24:7 indeed. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, lilmac said:

I can’t help but consider whether we are overreacting. Sure, COVID-19 is more transmissible and deadly than H1N1/SARS  but does that warrant a shutdown/recession?

I’m still in the better-safe-than-sorry camp but I’m not going to dismiss entirely the argument that this response is too hysterical. It’s always good to hear both sides of an argument or issue. In the end it’s probably better to have said we overreacted than to have hundreds of thousands of grandfathers and grandmothers buried because of this plague. Mathew 24:7 indeed. 

Simple Math - Recession vs 1-4 million deaths in America

That is the equation 

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Death always lags big time. Hoping rate of increase starts to decrease in a week. 

Thinking USA will be at 50-70k cases by march 28th.

Yeah, hoping it is temporal lag rather than stress on diagnostic capacities. Those are the two main possibilities, one would be good and one would be really bad.   

US 50k by 24th at latest

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Simple Math - Recession vs 1-4 million deaths in America

That is the equation 

Not really, I think that many deaths from a virus would scare enough people to put is into a recession anyway.

• Like 5

There are too many to quote so I’ll just say to those discussing cases and absence of deaths in India. One of the main government org responsible for testing and stuff just today directed that those who have come to the hospital with respiratory problems, fever, cold like symptoms, etc be tested for Coronavirus. They came with this order just today. Meaning before today, even if u showed up to the hospital with these symptoms (which are all symptoms of Coronavirus) you would not necessarily be tested. That should give an indication of how ridiculous handling of this thing has been so far. 

And as far as I know, deaths due to Pneumonia so far had not been tracked. I dunno if they have started now or not. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We will never really know if we overreacted to this whole situation but we will 100% feel the affects of an under reaction. And in a lot of ways one could argue that the latter is what's happening right now given the late response to act by so many countries. 

• Like 5