DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

19 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

This thread is a central place to give status, information/actions and news on the Covid 19 virus; not to shame/accuse/point fingers and any one country/race.

There will be plenty of time to discuss reasons for this pandemic and changes needed to prevent it in the future.

this guy still living in Wuhan , Nov 2019

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

We went from low 6 to 20 in 3 days. Testing is picking up now, maybe 150k or so on 28th

Testing is over 100k right now. Will be over 200k by next week

At least we no longer fight over pronouns.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

Some good news for my crazy job situation. I quit on Friday. I start remote on Monday via laptop. Wife at the hospital is doing 7 additional shifts for hospital all remote tele medicine. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

this guy still living in Wuhan , Nov 2019

What's your point?

Second day in a row Trump spent most of the breifing attacking reporters who asked him some tough questions.

He also displayed total ignorance about ventilators and doubled down on how a miracle cure is coming soon.

The US is so fucked.

36 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I can understand the Chinese Virus  is 100% racist.

However how is "wet market virus" racist?

A wet market applies to a well known horrible practice that creates such diseases.

Political correctness seems to be more important then stopping future pandemics to people on here it seems. I think values will change when this runs its course sadly :(

Has it ever crossed your mind that people can think about both? People can in fact be concerned over the pandemic, how it affects themselves, their friends and family and other people, how to prevent this in the future, and even government responses, while also wanting to avoid and call out derogatory, offensive, and harmful language that will harm Chinese and Asian communities. The racism being throttled at Asians and Chinese is a terrible symptom to COVID, so yeah, people are going to talk about it, and will want to confront it, along with other issues COVID has or will cause.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

. Italy was in way worse shape and jumped from 6 to 20k cases. 100k would take 5x from here and every single day would require big increases from rate of increase.

But we'll see. Not impossible

The data collected here shows we're well on the way. Rate if increase is already showing big daily increases. If nothing changes and the tests are available, we're over 150k confirmed cases by the 28th. It will take way more extreme lockdown measures to avoid this fate, and even that may not be enough. The damage is done.

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Second day in a row Trump spent most of the breifing attacking reporters who asked him some tough questions.

He also displayed total ignorance about ventilators and doubled down on how a miracle cure is coming soon.

The US is so fucked.

This is what happens when a minority elects an idiot. Democracy is such a failure....

2 minutes ago, doublejack said:

This is what happens when a minority elects an idiot. Democracy is such a failure....

And what would you replace it with?

1 hour ago, lilmac said:

Hi,

Where are you getting 1-4 million figure?

These are NOT my words but someone on another forum said: 

I say take the 500k deaths. Better than ruining us financially. Especially because 450k of those will be people who should be dying any day."

Harsh to say the least. But it’s part of the calculus that must be made. Now 4 million is orders of magnitude higher. I hate that this is evena debate.  How things have changed!

That person on another forum is wrong. Did you know 50% percent of the hospitalized are young previously healthy people? Yeah, and if enough people get hospitalized, it doesn't matter your age: what happens in Italy will happen here where not enough beds are available and you have to choose who dies painfully and who might live. And a lot of people who die In Italy are young, previously healthy.

Now think about this: say a single father in his 40s with three kids gets a heart attack. It takes 90 minutes for the ambulance to reach him because there's a huge backlog due to the coronavirus. He gets to the hospital and all the beds are taken by people who need respirators for the coronavirus. Under normal circumstances, he's saved. Under the pandemic, he might not have died due to the Coronavirus, but he's dead because of it. You won't see him in the death count though. 'Cause it's technically the heart attack that killed him, turned his three kids orphans (and if they don't have family, they likely go to a system that won't be able to handle the huge amount of kids who won't have families anymore coming in).

So even if the death count is 500k with just coronavirus, if we spread out the deaths, we can save more lives than just the infected. And it's not "people who should be dying any day". It's normal healthy young people dying in Italy. It's normal healthy young people who will be dying in the US too. There was a 29-year old otherwise completely healthy doctor in China who died from this. 

But since you are all about making cold calculus that doesn't take into account that God made us and that life is sacred and is thus paramount, since you have decided money is your God with that post, I ask you: do you save a 24-year old college graduate looking for their first job or a 55-year old doctor who might save other lives but has less life ahead of him? Since all you care about is avoiding a recession, that's the kind of question you want doctors to ask.

And what if you decide to say "fuck it" let's avoid the recession and in a month or two the millions (and yes the death count would reach over a million) who died could have been saved because we get enough medicine to treat the symptoms and save people? 

The goal here should be to save as many people as possible while buying as much time as possible. The goal here should be to try to lessen the burden on our medical system as much as possible. As for the economy? Well, the government here is gonna have to step in and help out businesses and individuals. But we should not prioritize McDonalds's bottom line over a single human life. 'Cause money is man-made. Human life is God-granted. And right now is a trying time but we should not forget: life remains sacred.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And what would you replace it with?

I'd go all Borg and replace it with AI or AI selected leadership. Another option would be some sort of test / selection process through which people are conscripted into government.

As flawed as democracy is, I don't feel any other forms of government that have been attempted are superior. They're all deficient.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

This was after the Corona 19 virus outbreak in China had made the news.Did not take a genius or mystic powers to see it would spread.

And his timing was totally off.

In other words, more proof Astrology is total bullshit.

The tweet is from June 2019. Though I agree the guy is full of shit just got one right by chance.

7 hours ago, MadJosh said:

WW2 saw the deaths of 70-85m people (3% of Earths population, most of whom were very young. I dont think it's even close

For now.

8 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I'd go all Borg and replace it with AI or AI selected leadership. Another option would be some sort of test / selection process through which people are conscripted into government.

As flawed as democracy is, I don't feel any other forms of government that have been attempted are superior. They're all deficient.

If you look up democracy country by country, USA is technically classed as a flawed democracy.

Not that many countries are a full democracy, UK is one of them.

I think countries with tropical or really warm subtropical climate will be less affected overall and will have more mild cases. India is one of them. 

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

You actually can start pumping the severely ill with small amounts and monitor effects. Thats already taking place. 

Sooooooo you mean the trials that you literally said were called off so that they can start treating immediately?

13 minutes ago, doublejack said:

To be fair, if the presidency were decided democratically, Trump wouldnt be president.