DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Posted (edited)

Looks like the US isn't as far behind in testing now, but it's still bad.

Edited by cannastop

10 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

So i guess if someone mentions that is the chinese government mostly at fault for this, he will banned and silenced under the pretext of "not to shame/accuse/point fingers". But if your post is about "shame/accuse/point finger" at the american government, you won't be banned, you will be congratulated. It's funny how the double standard works. And the chinese government is not a race, is a political entity like any other political entities that must be held responsible for their actions. 

Stop. You know better. (I hope.)

It hurts the Chinese people, and people of Chinese heritage. It's not about the Chinese government. The phrase "Chinese Virus" and its use intentionally incite racism and corresponding attacks and hate crimes. It was a calculated, gaslighting dog whistle by Grand Poo-Bah Trump meant to rile up his base to A.) manufacture a controversy to distract from his massive failures and B.) create more perceived camaraderie between himself and his exclusively racist, sexist, homophobic and religiously intolerant remaining supporters as the election approaches.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Normal healthy. Maybe they have allergies but other than that nothing pops up in their physical. 

That appears to be the case, but I feel like there seems to be broad strokes applied to those who can naturally survive this virus vs those who can't. Plenty of mixed signals in that regard. Governments appear to be weak in their assertion to tell people to stop smoking, avoid coitous with strangers, and limit unhealthy food consumption. Telling people to "stay in shelter" is such a cop out simple answer.

Edited by ThePhasmid

793 deaths in Italy the past 24 hours. Absolutely horrendous. And 285 deaths in Spain. 

The US is going to be facing a massive economic and medical catastrophe because of how infuriatingly inept they've been...so many states and cities refusing to lockdown. 

Turkey's exploding, too. 

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

So i guess if someone mentions that is the chinese government mostly at fault for this, he will banned and silenced under the pretext of "not to shame/accuse/point fingers". But if your post is about "shame/accuse/point finger" at the american government, you won't be banned, you will be congratulated. It's funny how the double standard works. And the chinese government is not a race, is a political entity like any other political entities that must be held responsible for their actions. 

Don't bother. There's a strict agenda here which is why I barely post anymore.

Sucks, because you make a great point.

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

Its horrific to see the news from Italy. 

Im really afraid 😢

Posted (edited)

They just announced here a countrywide curfew from 5PM-4AM.

It's necessary...especially in the beginning of an outbreak, but my God, I'm going to be so fucking bored.

Edited by Noctis

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, The Panda said:

It’s always a sight to see people love to talk out of their asses about economics but when actual economists tell them they’re incorrect they become dismissal of the field.

Im sure many other scientists and social scientists experience the same thing.

Complete trollish arrogance on your part excel.

Not true in the slight, and your response would to "It's always a sight to see an academic love to talk of their asses about strategies uses in business but when an actual business person says otherwise they instantly revert back to their education level as opposed to experience level" would be ? :)

I am not being dismissive of classic Econ theory at all and hold grad rate degree in the field myself. I was making a fairly obvious connection between Trump's fairly philosophy for growing his business, which is a very common, central theme of many companies, and the approach he has taken with growing the economy. I am not even sure what you are disputing re: my assessment of Trump's philosophy for improving the American economy.

1 hour ago, PDC1987 said:

Sooooooo you mean the trials that you literally said were called off so that they can start treating immediately?

If you define "trials" as starting immediate use, we are on the same page. 

It only takes ONE person to infect 20. Extrapolate please. And a few thousand tourists? Really? You mean on Daytona Beach alone, right? Rules? There was no shutdown in Florida.

Even then, 99% of the people in Florida are NOT "following the rules". My (rich, deluded) sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew actually traveled from here in Ohio to Florida for a 2 week vacation. (Private beach and condo complex.) My sister flat out told my mom how shocked she was to see all the older local residents out together in droves, and those "50% capacity" restaurants still bustling.

I maintain that you are simply trolling, and need to be banned from this thread.

It is not trolling whatsoever to note the the VAST majority of people have slammed the brakes on their lives and are complying with the bans. Using your sister as evidence contrary is hilarious.

Yeah, you need to go.

Wrong & I believe a block button exists, use it you like 

Edited by excel1

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

It's necessary...especially in the beginning of an outbreak, but my God, I'm going to be so fucking bored.

I have tried to watch more movies but it is hard with everything going on.

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Agreed with both of you.  The double standard is something else and pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

53 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

You are 100% correct and no doubt the Chinese government will for it in some way eventually.

On a different note, if referring to the virus by a term other than "Chinese Virus" improves the physical safety of Asians, that is the right thing to do, too. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

It is not trolling whatsoever to note the the VAST majority of people have slammed the brakes on their lives and are complying with the bans. Using your sister as evidence contrary is hilarious.

No, it is a factual account. How about countless media reports and VIDEOS from every Florida city with a beach or any remaining tourist attraction????

And yet again, there was no ban in Florida. Even restaurants still allowed 50% capacity. Individual cities are just now closing some beaches. Still nothing state wide.

Edited by PDC1987

42 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Looks like the US isn't as far behind in testing now, but it's still bad.

Heck next week we will be ahead of basically everyone sans South Korea and China

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Once again: 

It hurts the Chinese people, and people of Chinese heritage. It's not about the Chinese government. The phrase "Chinese Virus" and its use intentionally incite racism and corresponding attacks and hate crimes. It was a calculated, gaslighting dog whistle by Grand Poo-Bah Trump meant to rile up his base to A.) manufacture a controversy to distract from his massive failures and B.) create more perceived camaraderie between himself and his exclusively racist, sexist, homophobic and religiously intolerant remaining supporters as the election approaches.

8 minutes ago, Noctis said:

They just announced here a countrywide curfew from 5PM-4AM.

Perfect time for a Harry Potter marathon!

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Heck next week we will be ahead of basically everyone sans South Korea and China

The US is a bigger country, it will be ahead of everyone and not in a good way...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, excel1 said:

You are 100% correct and no doubt the Chinese government will for it in some way eventually.

On a different note, if referring to the virus by a term other than "Chinese Virus" improves the physical safety of Asians, that is the right thing to do, too. 

I think the issue is lazy racism towards Asians in general, which is unacceptable  and indeed harmful, but calling it the Chinese virus or pointing fingers at the Chinese government and wet markets should be completely fair game! We are talking about a virus that originated in China, discovered by a Chinese doctor and allowed to spread and become a worldwide pandemic because the Chinese government tried to cover it up. Yet, political correctness dictates highlighting any of this is not okay.

Oh, but it's open season on Trump and the American government (not arguing that this isn't warranted either!!).

This, THIS, is the kind of stuff that is divisive. Your (directed towards anyone who does this) virtue signaling over such trivial things actually is more toxic and insufferable than admirable and productive.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

That would require

3-4k daily increases everr single day for 7 days straight. That would suck

You're not wrong, it is going to suck very badly. It boggles the mind that the only thing holding the numbers down, even now, is testing. Containment in the US is largely a failure. Too little, too late.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

nearly 800 cases in Michigan. And governor still won't issue a lockdown

https://amp.freep.com/amp/2891279001?__twitter_impression=true

Whitmer did great closing down the schools, but she's acting very afraid to take the financial hit to the economy and shut businesses down. Combined with the fact that we had our primary during a dangerous period, which got many people in the same locations and some even to rallies in large crowds, and it is easy to see the number of cases start to explode here. All those people likely exposed 10 days ago are starting to show clear symptoms now. We'll be in the area of 2k cases on Monday at this rate. She's got to order everyone to shelter in place.

Posted (edited)

Coronavirus in Romania: Country closes borders for foreign citizens, malls close, people’s movement and religious service restricted

And these measures come after one week of schools, unis and pubs being closed nation-wide.

We "only" have 367 cases, 52 recovered, 0 dead. More than 55.000 are in isolation.

I must say, I don't think I was as pleased with the measures my country has taken.. like, ever. Especially since 1.2 million Romanians live in Italy (the most out of EU-states - Romania) AND our medical system sucks.

Edited by Andreas
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I think the issue is lazy racism towards Asians in general, which is unacceptable  and indeed harmful, but calling it the Chinese virus or pointing fingers at the Chinese government and wet markets should be completely fair game! We are talking about a virus that originated in China be a Chinese doctor and allowed to spread and become a worldwide pandemic because the Chinese government tried to cover it up. Yet, political correctness dictates highlighting any of this is not okay.

Oh, but it's open season on Trump and the American government (not arguing that this isn't warranted either!!).

This, THIS, is the kind of stuff that is divisive. Your virtue signaling over such trivial things actually is more toxic and insufferable than admirable and productive.

1.) Well the staff here already told you it isn't, sooo...

2.) Virtue Signaling? An Asian American CNN reporter was called a slur on live TV yesterday. Oh, and:

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-county-chair-says-coronavirus-kansas-isnt-serious-because-there-arent-many-chinese-people-1493510

GOP County Chair Says Coronavirus in Kansas Isn't Serious Because There Aren't Many Chinese People There

By Matthew Impelli On 3/20/20 at 2:30 PM EDT

• Like 1