DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

2 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Complete delusion.

No actually I'm not, precisely because I dont live on the virtue signaling, SJW circle jerk platform that is the internet and social media. More people in the real world are more like the transparent poster that I am than you think

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MOVIEGUY said:

No, Marcus Cato, he made a really good point earlier I thought and you basically made him out to be a Trump supporter and at no point did he use the phrase "chinese virus"

He defended using it. It was the reason for his reply. This isn't hard to follow.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think the issue is lazy racism towards Asians in general, which is unacceptable  and indeed harmful, but calling it the Chinese virus or pointing fingers at the Chinese government and wet markets should be completely fair game! We are talking about a virus that originated in China, discovered by a Chinese doctor and allowed to spread and become a worldwide pandemic because the Chinese government tried to cover it up. Yet, political correctness dictates highlighting any of this is not okay.

Oh, but it's open season on Trump and the American government (not arguing that this isn't warranted either!!).

This, THIS, is the kind of stuff that is divisive. Your (directed towards anyone who does this) virtue signaling over such trivial things actually is more toxic and insufferable than admirable and productive.

Trump is apparently using it to evade responsibility for his slow response (little testing and contact tracing, disbanding the global pandemic team) and constantly downplaying the threat of an outbreak. In January, he praised China for its transparency and its great leader Xi on several occasions, after the Chinese coverup happened.

Edited by Neucentro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Neucentro said:

Trump is apparently using it to evade responsibility for his slow response (little testing and contact tracing) and constantly downplaying the threat of an outbreak. In January, he praised China for its transparency and its great leader Xi on several occasions, after the Chinese coverup happened.

Yes this is the correct answer. If he had called it that just because it originated in China, he would have done so months ago since China has been updating the CDC on the situation regularly since Jan 3rd. He only started started using the term last week after it became apparent that he had totally screwed up the US response and continues to fuck up. Blaming China/Chinese is the easy way to deflect anger.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

George Takei speaks the truth:

At this point Trump only uses these briefings just to promote himself and nothing more because his ego is that fragile and to please his supporters who will lap up literally anything he says even when it's false, which is of course most of the time (and says stuff like "Chinese Virus" and attacks reporters just to deflect from the real problems). When the president is nothing more than a reality TV star, you get a presidency that plays out like a reality TV show.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

The US is a bigger country, it will be ahead of everyone and not in a good way...

Yes I know that I agree mrglass. My point being we were a global laughing stock 9 days ago. Now next week we will be one of the leaders. Yes we should be #1 in tests and we will be. Sadly #1 in positive cases as well.

A family member just lost her job. Such a bullcrap time to lay someone off. Advertising....

Edited by cdsacken
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

Trump is apparently using it to evade responsibility for his slow response (little testing and contact tracing) and constantly downplaying the threat of an outbreak. In January, he praised China for its transparency and its great leader Xi on several occasions, after the Chinese coverup happened.

Oh, Trump's an idiot, and changing his tune all the time like the con man pig he is. I have no love for the man. I'm just saying for better or worse now that he let the virus get completely out of America's control he is at least singing the right tune (aka forced to be honest). He was only being so complimentary of China before this got out of hand. 

28 minutes ago, John Marston said:

You don’t have to be a Republican or Democrat to see there is a double standard in wanting nothing against negative said about the Chinese government but allowing open season attacks on The American government and Americans  on this site. Hopefully if this thread isn’t to be polltical it applies in all directions 

Nobody is trying to call it the American Virus, and if they were they would be shut down as well.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Damn like half of all confirmed cases are in New York. Rest of the country is slacking on testing.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PDC1987 said:

1.) Notice I said many. Not all.

2.) This being your only reply speaks volumes.

Well, the rest of your post was something you put up 3 times now...it's clear the two of you won't see eye to eye, so it might be time to move on for the good of the thread.

I mean, my county just recorded its 1st death from the virus, so there's bigger things to worry about that politics this or politics that...I mean, none of that helps any of the lives currently in the balance...

Off soapbox now, and heading to some fun online roleplaying with friends.  I think everyone could probably use a fun breather:)...

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Damn like half of all confirmed cases are in New York. Rest of the country is slacking on testing.

New Yorkers are definitely taking this seriously now. Many people are now wearing face masks and gloves when they go out. People trying to walk around each other when they see someone coming the other way. Supermarkets and pharmacies are limiting the numbers of people allowed inside at the same time. Subway/bus ridership way down. Hopefully we can slow the spread. 

Posted (edited)

If I wear a face mask while ringing people out, will it Lower the chance of catching anything from a customer?

Edited by John Marston

Just now, John Marston said:

If I wear a face mask while ringing people out, will it Lower the chance of catching anything from a customer?

Based on the evidence from Asia, yes. Also wear gloves.

Just now, John Marston said:

Unfortunately they are meant to be worn by sick/infected people so they don't spread it.

1 hour ago, Marcus Cato said:

So i guess if someone mentions that is the chinese government mostly at fault for this, he will banned and silenced under the pretext of "not to shame/accuse/point fingers". But if your post is about "shame/accuse/point finger" at the american government, you won't be banned, you will be congratulated. It's funny how the double standard works. And the chinese government is not a race, is a political entity like any other political entities that must be held responsible for their actions. 

The problem is... the Chinese government is not 'mostly at fault' for the situation we are in.  Every country had plenty of warning since January. 

Not only did most western countries fail to heed those warnings they were almost gleeful that China had to shut down their economy to fight it.

Now that we've pissed away that warning and are in worst shape than China.. people/countries refuse to take any responsibility for the situation we are in and want to blame the Chinese.

Pandemic viruses do not have any nationality.

Spanish Flu started in europe ( not spain however )

Ebola - Africa

1999 H1N2 (swine) - America

2012 H1N2 - Australia

Coronavirus has been around forever in various forms (discovered in 1964)

All countries, not just China, need to take responsibility for not being prepared... especially after the SARS outbreak in the early 2000s

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

You don’t have to be a Republican or Democrat to see there is a double standard in wanting nothing against negative said about the Chinese government but allowing open season attacks on The American government and Americans  on this site. Hopefully if this thread isn’t to be polltical it applies in all directions 

There was plenty of confusion and misinfomation out of China in the early days of the outbreak.  However the confusion and misinformation is continuing from other governments right now.

It's fine to criticize the Chinese government for some of their early suppression of information but it sounds pretty stupid now when you have ongoing suppression and misinformation coming for the US government daily. (not to mention plenty of other countires goverenment)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Guess what? These 3 things can be true at the same time. 

1.The COVID-19 Pandemic is primarily the fault of the Chinese Government due to both their lax regulation of live wild animal markets and allowing the trading of live and endangered wild animals to continue even after previous outbreaks. It’s also as bad as it is due to the inept initial response in Wuhan by local and regional government officials. 

2.The US Government response has been inept due to a unique health system that leaves large sections of the population with no coverage, a dysfunctional government that for years across both parties has let government institutions crumble and the current administration whose goal has generally been to further continue the deconstruction of a functioning government bureaucracy by cutting funding and destroying institutions. I say both parties but responsibility is clearly more with one party then the other. 

3.Yes, the outbreak started in Wuhan, China. Yes the initial title of this thread included “Wuhan Outbreak”. Guess what? The WHO gives new viruses names that aren’t linked to a location or animal. The novel coronavirus is called COVID-19. The only reason Trump and others are pushing “Chinese Virus” is as a dog whistle to racists and to trigger people on the other side to get triggered all so they can stow confusion and cover their inept response.  It’s a consistent Trump tactic to say something stupid and ridiculous to distract from something far more serious that he has stuffed up badly. Don’t fall for it. 

Thank you for your time. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Guess what? These 3 things can be true at the same time. 

1.The COVID-19 Pandemic is primarily the fault of the Chinese Government due to both their lax regulation of live wild animal markets and allowing the trading of live and endangered wild animals to continue even after previous outbreaks. It’s also as bad as it is due to the inept initial response in Wuhan by local and regional government officials. 

2.The US Government response has been inept due to a unique health system that leaves large sections of the population with no coverage, a dysfunctional government that for years across both parties has let government institutions crumble and the current administration whose goal has generally been to further continue the deconstruction of a functioning government bureaucracy by cutting funding and destroying institutions. I say both parties but responsibility is clearly more with one party then the other. 

3.Yes, the outbreak started in Wuhan, China. Yes the initial title of this thread included “Wuhan Outbreak”. Guess what? The WHO gives new viruses names that aren’t linked to a location or animal. The novel coronavirus is called COVID-19. The only reason Trump and others are pushing “Chinese Virus” is as a dog whistle to racists and to trigger people on the other side to get triggered all so they can stow confusion and cover their inept response.  It’s a consistent Trump tactic to say something stupid and ridiculous to distract from something far more serious that he has stuffed up badly. Don’t fall for it. 

Thank you for your time. 

This.

Every Western leader should be asked about this, instead of getting positive coverage for their "decisive actions":

Leaders are now taking measures that would have been unthinkable weeks or even days ago, locking down tens of millions of people from Berlin to Madrid and San Francisco and pouring billions into rescue plans.

But had they acted a few weeks earlier, they could perhaps have avoided much of the human tragedy and economic catastrophe they now face. Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, which had their first confirmed cases before Europe, but acted early and fast, still have deaths in single digits and, at most, a few hundred cases.

The article is too kind in my opinion to explain this massive failure, but it is true that East Asian countries had to deal with outbreaks in recent years that didn't significantly reach Europe or America.

• Like 2