Jump to content
DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Every Western leader should be asked about this, instead of getting positive coverage for their "decisive actions":

 

 

The article is too kind in my opinion to explain this massive failure, but it is true that East Asian countries had to deal with outbreaks in recent years that didn't significantly reach Europe or America.


Notably, Korea actually didn't have to deal with SARS to a meaningful extent (3 cases), despite their proximity to China. I don't think prior experience with SARS is the most defining feature of the countries whose governments acted quickly and in accordance with expert advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are clearly not innocently using the term "Chinese virus" as a means to distinguish the virus from other viruses; coronavirus or Covid-19 are widely known names for the virus that are being regularly used in the media and have been for some time.

 

Those who are consciously choosing instead to label it the Chinese virus are doing so to derogatorily tie the virus to a particular nationality or ethnicity (in some cases, for political gain).

 

A virus knows no nationality, no race, no religion, etc.

 

We should move on.

 

Canada is now at over 1,300 cases, with 19 people dead. I am dearly hoping we're doing enough to flatten the curve and save lives.

 

 

 

Peace,

Mike

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Every Western leader should be asked about this, instead of getting positive coverage for their "decisive actions":

 

 

The article is too kind in my opinion to explain this massive failure, but it is true that East Asian countries had to deal with outbreaks in recent years that didn't significantly reach Europe or America.

Hong Kong and Taiwan in particular were hit really hard during SARS so they know how bad an epidemic can get, plus they understand China 100x better than the West. They understand how dire the situation had to be for China to lockdown cities and shut industry for over a month, especially over CNY. So they acted quickly and decisively. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

If I wear a face mask while ringing people out, will it Lower the chance of catching anything from a customer?

Wearing a mask will help you a lot.  Please do not touch your face, mouth or nose even if you are wearing gloves.  Wash your hands as much as possible and use a disinfectant.  It will help you a lot.

I am really sad that this forum falls on racial and political issues.  While most of the members seem very friendly.  It is always a small group that brings endless fights and debates that are not necessary.  People die and others take this as a joke.  

My parents are very old and I had to keep them away from the world.  The only thing that scares me is to pass the disease on to them if I get infected.  

Please take this matter seriously and try to be helpful and constructive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jason said:


Notably, Korea actually didn't have to deal with SARS to a meaningful extent (3 cases), despite their proximity to China. I don't think prior experience with SARS is the most defining feature of the countries whose governments acted quickly and in accordance with expert advice.

Korea had MERS outbreak just a few years ago which killed quite a number of people there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will make one thing clear:

 

I don't think calling it the Chinese virus is necessary. I really don't. I'd rather use the scientific term, Coronavirus (more specifically, SARS-CoV-2) because that's what it is.

 

I'm just not going to scream RACIST or bloody murder if ever it's referred to as the Chinese Virus. Unless racist intent is blatantly obvious, one cannot just go projecting intentions and their own narratives. It's unbelievably patronizing and counterproductive amd it happens a LOT. People start speaking FOR other demographics, lecturing others on how harmful it is before it's even a problem! I think we had this discussion on these boards awhile ago, and I remember @Lordmandeep bringing up a good example but I just can't recall it.

 

So yeah, I don't think we need to use the term Chinese virus, just like I don't think Spanish Flu is the proper term for the 1918 pandemic. However, I'm not going to waste time trying to have the term stricken from the record books. Why? Nobody cares. Really. Nobody. Cares.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Then those people are talking out of their ass and have no idea what they are talking about. If there were no lockdowns or similar strict measures taken and if things were to be left free to take its course then the death rate would be much higher. 

Depend how you define death rate here and strict (the proposition talked about here would have been seen has extremely strict in the beginning of H1N1 in 2009........)

 

4 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

I ignore such people and I suggest you do too. 

Those people are people like Amesh Adalja.

 

We have yet to have much data and can be wrong (Diamon Princess, Vo, South Korea being pretty much the only 3 in a month we will have Iceland to give better ideas)

4 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

will die in such scenario. 

The scenario I am talking about is pretty much a level never before taken when facing this kind of pandemy too, significantly bigger than what they did for the spanish flu in 1918.

 

If we reach 2 million death in the USA that is starting to be more death by capita than the estimate of the Spanish flu in 1918 (not impossible obviously, but that the scale we are talking about).

Edited by Barnack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Guess what? These 3 things can be true at the same time. 
 

1.The COVID-19 Pandemic is primarily the fault of the Chinese Government due to both their lax regulation of live wild animal markets and allowing the trading of live and endangered wild animals to continue even after previous outbreaks. It’s also as bad as it is due to the inept initial response in Wuhan by local and regional government officials. 
 

2.The US Government response has been inept due to a unique health system that leaves large sections of the population with no coverage, a dysfunctional government that for years across both parties has let government institutions crumble and the current administration whose goal has generally been to further continue the deconstruction of a functioning government bureaucracy by cutting funding and destroying institutions. I say both parties but responsibility is clearly more with one party then the other. 
 

3.Yes, the outbreak started in Wuhan, China. Yes the initial title of this thread included “Wuhan Outbreak”. Guess what? The WHO gives new viruses names that aren’t linked to a location or animal. The novel coronavirus is called COVID-19. The only reason Trump and others are pushing “Chinese Virus” is as a dog whistle to racists and to trigger people on the other side to get triggered all so they can stow confusion and cover their inept response.  It’s a consistent Trump tactic to say something stupid and ridiculous to distract from something far more serious that he has stuffed up badly. Don’t fall for it. 
 

Thank you for your time. 

Minor correction (sorry for being anal but I'm a stickler for details): COVID-19 is the disease the virus causes. The full name of the virus itself is SARS-CoV-2, a strain of the coronavirus.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Can't go wrong with trashing/blaming white heterosexual men!

 

This shouldn't be tolerated. 

This thing exactly. I don't care how the virus is called, then can just call it C Virus. But someone in here was banned just for mentioning "wet markets". while there were so many posts insulting, bashing and shaming a group of people just for having different voting preferences.. of course those don't get banned.  

  • Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Guess what? These 3 things can be true at the same time. 
 

1.The COVID-19 Pandemic is primarily the fault of the Chinese Government due to both their lax regulation of live wild animal markets and allowing the trading of live and endangered wild animals to continue even after previous outbreaks. It’s also as bad as it is due to the inept initial response in Wuhan by local and regional government officials. 
 

2.The US Government response has been inept due to a unique health system that leaves large sections of the population with no coverage, a dysfunctional government that for years across both parties has let government institutions crumble and the current administration whose goal has generally been to further continue the deconstruction of a functioning government bureaucracy by cutting funding and destroying institutions. I say both parties but responsibility is clearly more with one party then the other. 
 

3.Yes, the outbreak started in Wuhan, China. Yes the initial title of this thread included “Wuhan Outbreak”. Guess what? The WHO gives new viruses names that aren’t linked to a location or animal. The novel coronavirus is called COVID-19. The only reason Trump and others are pushing “Chinese Virus” is as a dog whistle to racists and to trigger people on the other side to get triggered all so they can stow confusion and cover their inept response.  It’s a consistent Trump tactic to say something stupid and ridiculous to distract from something far more serious that he has stuffed up badly. Don’t fall for it. 
 

Thank you for your time. 

Pin pls

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just remember:

 

TIL, the Spanish Flu started In Kansas. It is called the Spanish Flu cause they were the first to report on it. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marcus Cato said:

This thing exactly. I don't care how the virus is called, then can just call it C Virus. But someone in here was banned just for mentioning "wet markets". while there were so many posts insulting, bashing and shaming a group of people just for having different voting preferences.. of course those don't get banned.  

That is not why they were banned.  He was banned for derailing the thread by repeatedly arguing with staff after I asked that the official name of the virus be used here.

 

If you don't know what you are talking about it's best to not post.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump is a king of distraction and the Democrats are so stupid that they always oblige. That's why he will be re-elected. The correct solution is to ignore him. Let him and his followers keep calling it the Chinese virus.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just realized high school seniors won’t be able to enjoy their last months in school or have a prom or graduation ceremony. That kind of sucks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son just went into the PPE business.

 

Someone posted on Facebook a picture of 2 people wearing masks.

 

My son reposted with the message "don't Know if this design works but I have the equipment to manufacture them, willing to donate as much as I can".

 

He just WhatsApped us and said "Emptied the bank account for materials"

 

Hospitals and doctors have been messaging him, they are desperate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has really gone of the rails.  

 

Can we get back to talking about the CURRENT situation?  I know politics is a part of this situation but try to limit it to current actions/non-actions that the various governments are taking.

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

My son just went into the PPE business.

 

Someone posted on Facebook a picture of 2 people wearing masks.

 

My son reposted with the message "don't Know if this design works but I have the equipment to manufacture them, willing to donate as much as I can".

 

He just WhatsApped us and said "Emptied the bank account for materials"

 

Hospitals and doctors have been messaging him, they are desperate.

Good on him. You must be one proud parent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In facepalm worthy news, my dad posted a link on Facebook indicating which restaurants are open in Yaletown (an area of downtown Vancouver). He thinks this is all a joke. He and I are going to be having a discussion this evening.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Korea had MERS outbreak just a few years ago which killed quite a number of people there.


Yes, that's a fair point. Although they weren't caught unprepared for that one either.

To be honest, how bad the Western response has generally been ought to be the real surprise. Just a few years ago (2015) the CDC and FDA were responding very decisively to novel epidemics. I don't think highly of Trump and I know he fired a number of key people involved in pandemic response, but it took my by surprise just how delayed the US government response was.

I don't know as much about European politics. Perhaps the West has collectively been too reliant on the CDC to help get ahead of the curve on epidemics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Australian government is announcing their 2nd stimulus response:

 

Millions of workers will be shielded from an economic slump with a $25.2 billion cash injection to ensure employers can keep paying wages if the coronavirus crisis hits their business.

The federal government will transfer up to $50,000 to small and medium businesses within weeks and will offer another $50,000 in the new financial year to confront fears of widespread lay-offs.

 

In a mammoth stimulus package to be unveiled on Sunday, the government will also guarantee half the value of new bank loans to small and medium companies to unlock up to $40 billion in finance.

While the government will also boost welfare payments in its statement today, its priority is to keep Australians in work with the help of a total stimulus worth $189 billion – or 9.7 per cent of the economy – across all measures.

 

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the measures were about getting the country through "the next six months or longer" to make sure employers could keep going or at least suspend operations during the worst of the impact.

"We want to help businesses keep going as best they can or to pause instead of falling apart," he said.

"We want to ensure that when this crisis has passed Australia can bounce back. There is a lot of pain coming but we’re going to cushion the blow as best we can."

The assistance will go to companies with annual turnover of up to $50 million and will not be restricted to any industry, ensuring the money hits the economy as fast as possible.


https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/covid-19-25-2-billion-cash-injection-to-save-jobs-20200321-p54cjo.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.