DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

In facepalm worthy news, my dad posted a link on Facebook indicating which restaurants are open in Yaletown (an area of downtown Vancouver). He thinks this is all a joke. He and I are going to be having a discussion this evening.

Good for you. Encouraging loved ones and friends to practice social distancing, for real, is so important. 

I like sharing this quote: "Do not change your behaviour to avoid being infected. Assume you are infected, and change your behaviour to avoid transmitting."

You could save a life.

My cousin died from influenza when he had a weakened immune system after surviving cancer. Think about that for a moment. Every year I say #GetTheFluShot. Right now I'm saying #StayHomePlease

Peace,

Mike

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Cap said:

Just remember:

TIL, the Spanish Flu started In Kansas. It is called the Spanish Flu cause they were the first to report on it. 

The exact origin of the 1918 flu is speculative, in part because it happened prior to genetic sequencing being available to definitively trace it. But yes, the name was acquired from it first being widely reported in Spain, particularly when King Alfonso XIII got sick with it.

Apparently in Spain, the 1918 flu was called the "French flu".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Jason said:

It'd be unconstitutional to completely deny them entry. They could be detained on Canadian soil, if returning by land. (Air is a different matter, they can be prevented from boarding a plane heading to Canada.)

I suspect that the 4 million figure is assuming the healthcare system gets overwhelmed and consequently the case-fatality rate moves upwards. An oft-cited Imperal College London paper estimates a figure of 2.2 million, but also mentions "not accounting for the potential negative effects of health systems being overwhelmed on mortality".

The confirmed-case fatality rate of the coronavirus is about 4% at this time. Of course, that's not an exact comparison with the fatality rate for the flu, since the 0.1% fatality rate there is calculated using a population-level estimate of total cases from routine surveillance. The infection-fatality rate is a more exact comparison, and is estimated to be ~0.9% in the papers I cited in the recommended post that is below the post in question. That said, the 0.9% is calculated from conditions where medical interventions were available - if the healthcare system were to become overwhelmed, the fatality rate would go up and it's not known by how much. (afaik)

I think the post got recommended because there were a few too many posters that morning suggesting that COVID was comparable to seasonal flu.

To be honest if we're going to quibble about "facts", the greater issue is the statement it "will" kill 30-40 times more people, it should say it "would, if not mitigated". (If we're really going to quibble, the number is probably more like ~30x-60x in the unmitigated scenario.)

The post was recommended by @Cap not DeeCee - with the phrase "this is not the flu, stop calling it the flu".

My recommended post below that one, which I think clarifies the situation, is the one that was posted by Cap as "Flu v Covid-19 Facts".

Got it. Thanks for answering the question! 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Good for you. Encouraging loved ones and friends to practice social distancing, for real, is so important. 

I like sharing this quote: "Do not change your behaviour to avoid being infected. Assume you are infected, and change your behaviour to avoid transmitting."

You could save a life.

My cousin died from influenza when he had a weakened immune system after surviving cancer. Think about that for a moment. Every year I say #GetTheFluShot. Right now I'm saying #StayHomePlease

Peace,

Mike

Very good quote. Something I hear a lot that gets me every time is "I (or person X) don't have any symptoms".

A) it's about being proactive

B ) People just aren't comprehending incubation period. You or someone else can have and transmit the virus before experiencing symptoms. Sometimes long before. Our society is far too reactive. For every person that overreacts it seems like there are lots more who wait until they're affected to act.

This is coming from someone who has learned a LOT in the past several weeks and was on the "this is all overblown" train. Very humbling experience and I'm glad I've educated myself now. 

Like you said, all I can do is help others try to understand.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

@Jason any idea when (if at all) BC/Canada may go into full lockdown, following trajectories of other countries/states? I need to get out of my residence and find somewhere to bunker down, when do you think might be too late for that? 

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Cracks me up that people don't think calling it The Chinese virus isn't racist. I mean you know who Trump is. Don't be ridiculous. 

Yeah, I can't think of a single reason why you would call it the Chinese virus except to purposely tie the pandemic to a certain ethnicity. If you want to distinguish it from other coronaviruses, call it COVID-19.

The current debate of the last pages is why we fail culturally  in the west to deal with war type situations like the Covid from Outter Space pandemic.

We forgot Covid situations was the normality of humanity for thousands and thousands of years.

Bad crops this year ? Half of you family will die next year.

And i could go on and on giving another million examples about how life was so fragile for humans.

For the longest times most people were not sure if they were gona have enough to survive the next year.

Religious Babbling is easy. ( Who is the most virtuous of them all ?)

Being in the trenches, act in the physical and real world is not.

Guess what people choose to do.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Yeah, I can't think of a single reason why you would call it the Chinese virus except to purposely tie the pandemic to a certain ethnicity. If you want to distinguish it from other coronaviruses, call it COVID-19.

This is the thing. MOST people aren't tying it to a certain ethnicity, they're tying it to a country of origin. Please, PLEASE stop assuming the worst in people. I'm not naive, I know there are racists out there, but I'd your average joe happens to call it the Chinese virus, do you really think that person have some messed up ideology that the Chinese people are at fault? No!

Seriously, people need to calm down with the racist accusations. Just as blind Trump worshippers are called out, people also need to be called out for this over the top compensation that has come about ever since Trump's campaign. It's like everyone has developed a saviour complex with the need to pick apart and point fingers at everyone.

Just stop. Things aren't as bad as y'all seemingly want to believe they are because it makes you look or feel better.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The UK is now at the same stage Italy was going by time since first infection against no. of deaths. If the UK follows Italy, it'll go into lock-down on Monday. And it probably still won't.

Yup. Look at that. And after today UK has 233 deaths which matches where Italy was at that point

comment_1584830371Uvn0HnH2ZeB5RaitR1gj50

44 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The UK is now at the same stage Italy was going by time since first infection against no. of deaths. If the UK follows Italy, it'll go into lock-down on Monday. And it probably still won't.

In hindsight, Italy was too late, they say London will be locked down, but not the whole of the UK.

Who knows, even the scientists can't agree, seems some of them are still saying its not controllable, we are fooked anyway.

Spanish flu killed 50 millions people with a 1,5B ww population.

It infected 500 millions.

With today s population ( a bit more than 7,5B), that would make 

2,5B infected

250 million deaths.

37 minutes ago, DAJK said:

@Jason any idea when (if at all) BC/Canada may go into full lockdown, following trajectories of other countries/states? I need to get out of my residence and find somewhere to bunker down, when do you think might be too late for that? 

A "lockdown" here won't stop you from travelling from your residence to somewhere else. I imagine public transit won't be shut down either, at least not completely, since some people rely on transit for essential travel.

Given what I know about your residence, probably sooner is better for other reasons not related to travel restrictions.

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Jason said:

A "lockdown" here won't stop you from travelling from your residence to somewhere else. I imagine public transit won't be shut down either, at least not completely, since some people rely on transit for essential travel.

Given what I know about your residence, probably sooner is better for other reasons not related to travel restrictions.

Public transit is a very complex issue. It's such a crucial service to keep our society running, yet at the same time such an effective vehicle (no pun intended) for disease transmission. Like, despite the fact that a nurse may need to hop on a bus to get to work at a hospital, I also can't imagine a worse thing to do!

It's an issue I have no idea how one would solve.

• ...wtf 1
40 minutes ago, JB33 said:

This is the thing. MOST people aren't tying it to a certain ethnicity, they're tying it to a country of origin. Please, PLEASE stop assuming the worst in people. I'm not naive, I know there are racists out there, but I'd your average joe happens to call it the Chinese virus, do you really think that person have some messed up ideology that the Chinese people are at fault? No!

Seriously, people need to calm down with the racist accusations. Just as blind Trump worshippers are called out, people also need to be called out for this over the top compensation that has come about ever since Trump's campaign. It's like everyone has developed a saviour complex with the need to pick apart and point fingers at everyone.

Just stop. Things aren't as bad as y'all seemingly want to believe they are because it makes you look or feel better.

Again:

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-county-chair-says-coronavirus-kansas-isnt-serious-because-there-arent-many-chinese-people-1493510

GOP County Chair Says Coronavirus in Kansas Isn't Serious Because There Aren't Many Chinese People There

By Matthew Impelli On 3/20/20 at 2:30 PM EDT

The power of language. What was intended when the term was created by Trump.

END.

20 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Spanish flu killed 50 millions people with a 1,5B ww population.

It infected 500 millions.

With today s population ( a bit more than 7,5B), that would make 

2,5B infected

250 million deaths.

Thankfully we aren't, yet anyway, trending towards a 10% global mortality rate.

Me and my family are basically now expecting lockdown-measures here in Germany as well and that this situation will last for many months, possibly the rest of the year. In all honestly, if the vaccine isnt here by autumn (which is highly unlikely) or there isnt an outstanding treatment discovered, i see the whole 2020 beeing an earth on standstill.