DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

18 minutes ago, K1stpierre said:

It's really ridiculous the amount of toilet paper buying/panicking I've seen. Literally every major super market or brand store has literally zero toilet paper. Also in supermarkets good luck finding any beef, literally all were empty.

Everyone's #1 priority for enjoying their quarantine is to do so with a clean ass. It all makes sense!

• Like 1

A montage of public declarations from politicians, journalists, celebrities, scientists, etc etc etc we saw on all media during January until the end of February would be the most astonishing thing you ever saw in your entire life.

Hubris ???

I think so.

Definitely hubris.

Nobody showed humility in this.

What a whirlwind this week has been. I stepped away from here and social media in general over the past week; there was no longer a need for me to sound the alarms.

I worked out of the house this week. I'm a video editor for a digital advertising shop in Florida, so I can work remote with the right equipment. We do a lot of e-commerce advertising, which will be critical in the coming months.... until all business must shut down for whatever reason.  That's looming....

Otherwise, as an introvert, working from home and not having to go anywhere is fine by me. I'm stocked up and keeping myself busy at home. It's going to be a rough couple of months. I've been stocking up since mid-February on essentials, and over a month's worth of food. I'm just gonna ride this out. Looking forward to some good binging and streaming releases. The Onward-to-D+ news the other day really shocked me. Less than a month after the theatrical release! I get the sense Disney will be making some bold moves in the near future. Maybe not Mulan to D+, but something like Artemis Fowl? Perfect. Ne Mutants to Hulu, of course.

Anyway, the film industry as we know it is dead. Sure, the Marvel films and other tent-poles will bring in their audiences, as will your typical indie-circuit fare, but audience habits will change as they adjust to live without cinemas over the next couple months, and the slow return to that venue that will follow. Smaller studios and distributors will fold, jobs will be lost. Some theaters might not survive the current shutdown. As a whole, the industry will look very different.

So sit back, relax, wash your hands, and enjoy the ride.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

What a whirlwind this week has been. I stepped away from here and social media in general over the past week; there was no longer a need for me to sound the alarms.

I worked out of the house this week. I'm a video editor for a digital advertising shop in Florida, so I can work remote with the right equipment. We do a lot of e-commerce advertising, which will be critical in the coming months.... until all business must shut down for whatever reason.  That's looming....

Otherwise, as an introvert, working from home and not having to go anywhere is fine by me. I'm stocked up and keeping myself busy at home. It's going to be a rough couple of months. I've been stocking up since mid-February on essentials, and over a month's worth of food. I'm just gonna ride this out. Looking forward to some good binging and streaming releases. The Onward-to-D+ news the other day really shocked me. Less than a month after the theatrical release! I get the sense Disney will be making some bold moves in the near future. Maybe not Mulan to D+, but something like Artemis Fowl? Perfect. Ne Mutants to Hulu, of course.

Anyway, the film industry as we know it is dead. Sure, the Marvel films and other tent-poles will bring in their audiences, as will your typical indie-circuit fare, but audience habits will change as they adjust to live without cinemas over the next couple months, and the slow return to that venue that will follow. Smaller studios and distributors will fold, jobs will be lost. Some theaters might not survive the current shutdown. As a whole, the industry will look very different.

Man, I have to tip my hat to you; you called this. I've learned a helluva lost these past few weeks or so. Good on you for being so persistent.

• Thanks 1

A young kid died in France today  in an hospital of appendicite because the hospital didn't have the ressources to take care of him.

Plenty of other cases like this are being reported.

This is what Covid does in the end :

it kills hospitals. 

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

A young kid died in France today  in an hospital of appendicite because the hospital didn't have the ressources to take care of him.

Plenty of other cases like this are being reported.

This is what Covid does in the end :

it kills hospitals. 

My poor uncle was schedule for a triple bypass last week. It was cancelled, as were all other surgeries at Vancouver General because the hospital needed all the operating rooms.

I actually found out about this before my uncle alerted us about his surgery cancellation because someone in our family is on the inside (a nurse at VGH) and alerted us about the dire situation the hospital is in. The person has since painted a dire picture for us, everything which is confirmed on the news a few days later.

Doctors and nurses are on the front lines. They KNOW what's going on and as such they're the ones always trying to warn us to take this seriously.

Edited by JB33

7 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The Onward-to-D+ news the other day really shocked me. Less than a month after the theatrical release! I get the sense Disney will be making some bold moves in the near future. Maybe not Mulan to D+, but something like Artemis Fowl? Perfect. Ne Mutants to Hulu, of course.

They probably contemplated pulling Onward and releasing it again another time but came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it since it would be "old news" by the time this clears up anyway, since it came out right before things went to hell in a handbasket and was already tracking to be an underperformer weeks before that. Might as well get a head start on its home ancillaries and write off its theatrical run as a casualty to unforeseen circumstances. As one of the few who managed to see it in theaters, I can confirm it was destined to be more popular as a Disney+ title than as a theatrical release.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They probably contemplated pulling Onward and releasing it again another time but came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it since it would be "old news" by the time this clears up anyway, since it came out right before things went to hell in a handbasket and was already tracking to be an underperformer weeks before that. Might as well get a head start on its home ancillaries and write off its theatrical run as a casualty to unforeseen circumstances. As one of the few who managed to see it in theaters, I can confirm it was destined to be more popular as a Disney+ title than as a theatrical release.

Which, personally speaking, is too bad because I thought it was great. Why do you think it was more of a Disney+ kind of offering from Pixar? Not enough of an "event" so to speak?

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Which, personally speaking, is too bad because I thought it was great. Why do you think it was more of a Disney+ kind of offering from Pixar? Not enough of an "event" so to speak?

I enjoyed the movie but it was definitely missing that special spark that we find from Pixar's very best offerings IMO. Speaks volumes as to how high they've set the bar over the last 25 years than as a slight against the movie. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I enjoyed the movie but it was definitely missing that special spark that we find from Pixar's very best offerings IMO. Speaks volumes as to how high they've set the bar over the last 25 years than as a slight against the movie. 

Yeah, I guess that's true. I got the same "feels" that I usually get from Pixar films (this one in particular had messages that really resonated with me) but all in all it was on the lighter, more funny side wasn't it? Rather than an Up or Inside Out affair.

Pixar movies are more formualic then the MCU but it is somewhat taboo-verboten to say it.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Good. Surprised they could call themselves "essential retail" with a straight face.

My broker dealer firm deemed my department essential (operations) not allowing anyone to work remote in Seattle. Office was closed to customers and 95% were remote . My group is the lowest paid group. As you can see it's not shocking I left.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I don't agree with this doom and gloom about theatrical. People will go back to doing what they were doing once COVID19 runs its course whether it is in 3 months or 6 months.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

My wife's friend wears this stuff because she's in direct contact daily with people with the virus.my wife in the ER in pediatrics all she gets is a mask, gloves and goggles

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Walking Dead is so fake.

No season devoted about the search for toilet paper.

Lazy writing if you ask me.

The reassuring thing is that Americans don't have masks to protect themselves from Covid but they have at least one gun per peson to kill each other.

The Walking Dead Predicted Toilet Paper Hoarding 10 Years Ago

https://movieweb.com/toilet-paper-hoarding-the-walking-dead/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TLK said:

People will go back to doing what they were doing once COVID19 runs its course whether it is in 3 months or 6 months.

Not with the economic crash that's approaching.

While I think the overreaction arguments should be heard, after conducting more research into the transmissibility and mortality of this disease (even when we get an accurate denominator it’s likely to still be many times more dangerous than H1N1 and the flu), I’ve settled on the side of better safe than sorry. If we did nothing the situation would have been much worse and as debilitating as what’s happening in Italy.  

6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Not with the economic crash that's approaching.

Nah massively overblown. We will recover faster than 08. That's my opinion of course.

• Like 1