DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Face masks are 100 times more important than toilet paper which is barely helpful. I dont get why so many people in US are so eager to toilet paper.

3 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

Face masks are 100 times more important than toilet paper which is barely helpful. I dont get why so many people in US are so eager to toilet paper.

Just use water bidet. It's more hygenic anyways.

7 minutes ago, A Marvel Fanboy said:

... To have something to wipe themselves with.

9 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Nah massively overblown. We will recover faster than 08. That's my opinion of course.

So then you think this is blowing over in a couple months?

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

My broker dealer firm deemed my department essential (operations) not allowing anyone to work remote in Seattle. Office was closed to customers and 95% were remote . My group is the lowest paid group. As you can see it's not shocking I left.

Good on you. I respect that it's hard for anyone to leave their job to "make a statement", but the more workers don't stand for BS,  the better chance things will change.

Then again, I caution everyone I talk to about this that I've also screwed myself several times for being TOO vocal. I don't know, I just don't stand for shit and I have faith that good karma will come my way for doing the right thing and sending the right message. Usually it does happen that way, luckily.

One thing I don't share with many, but I'm comfortable sharing here: my little boy passed away a few years ago. He was hit by a car when he was away visiting my parents. I got the call at work and had to leave immediately. I arranged to have someone else cover the rest of my shift and when I let my boss know, he scolded me for not running it through him first. Like, my kid is being rushed to the hospital and I still made sure I had things covered before announcing I gotta go, and he scolds me like I'm a child not asking to leave the classroom. Needless to say, I said I was done there and I never returned. 

I do have some mental health issues that affect how I react to things, namely borderline personality disorder, so yes, I have gotten myself into trouble at job sites unnecessarily with some of my decisions and behaviour, but that time I thought I was in the right to give the guy the middle finger. Besides the loss of my boy obviously, things did work out on the job side of things. I did end up being taken care of and got a different great job.

Anyway, sorry. I don't know why I decided to go into all that. I guess, like I said, I believe in doing what you feel is right, no matter how rash it seems. I realize none of this may apply to you and your decision may have been far more measured but I decided to spill my beans on the topic anyway haha.

Edited by JB33
  • Sad 5

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Just use water bidet. It's more hygenic anyways.

This really shocks me. Americans don't use water to wipe their asses.. 🤮🤮🤢🤢

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

What a whirlwind this week has been. I stepped away from here and social media in general over the past week; there was no longer a need for me to sound the alarms.

I worked out of the house this week. I'm a video editor for a digital advertising shop in Florida, so I can work remote with the right equipment. We do a lot of e-commerce advertising, which will be critical in the coming months.... until all business must shut down for whatever reason.  That's looming....

Otherwise, as an introvert, working from home and not having to go anywhere is fine by me. I'm stocked up and keeping myself busy at home. It's going to be a rough couple of months. I've been stocking up since mid-February on essentials, and over a month's worth of food. I'm just gonna ride this out. Looking forward to some good binging and streaming releases. The Onward-to-D+ news the other day really shocked me. Less than a month after the theatrical release! I get the sense Disney will be making some bold moves in the near future. Maybe not Mulan to D+, but something like Artemis Fowl? Perfect. Ne Mutants to Hulu, of course.

Anyway, the film industry as we know it is dead. Sure, the Marvel films and other tent-poles will bring in their audiences, as will your typical indie-circuit fare, but audience habits will change as they adjust to live without cinemas over the next couple months, and the slow return to that venue that will follow. Smaller studios and distributors will fold, jobs will be lost. Some theaters might not survive the current shutdown. As a whole, the industry will look very different.

So sit back, relax, wash your hands, and enjoy the ride.

Hey man, good to see you around again. It is rather nice that we don’t have to be in “trying to sound the alarm” mode anymore.  

I’m also very curious about what the balance of exhibition vs digital will look like when things start to come back online. 

• Like 1

Janta curfew in India is very successful. Never seen such a peaceful day. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

A young kid died in France today  in an hospital of appendicite because the hospital didn't have the ressources to take care of him.

Source?

36 minutes ago, lilmac said:

While I think the overreaction arguments should be heard, after conducting more research into the transmissibility and mortality of this disease (even when we get an accurate denominator it’s likely to still be many times more dangerous than H1N1 and the flu), I’ve settled on the side of better safe than sorry. If we did nothing the situation would have been much worse and as debilitating as what’s happening in Italy.  

Italy is now the one country doing the only thing that can have an effect on this very contagious virus: shutting everything down. Many other countries will have to follow as half-measures won't do.

Not sure if it's even possible in countries as big as the US or India, that seem to lack a central authority in charge of the coronavirus "battle".

Edited by MrGlass2

8 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Janta curfew in India is very successful. Never seen such a peaceful day. 

But at end of day it's a PR gimmick. If only govt will extend it but they can't financially back it.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

In one step India just swept right over Canada. Not that India doesn't still have lots of work to do,but Canada is still resorting to government officials and newscasters saying sternly on TV to stay home. Not surprisingly, a great many people aren't taking it seriously.

Meanwhile France is deploying helicopters and drones to ensure compliance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

But at end of day it's a PR gimmick. If only govt will extend it but they can't financially back it.

India is not capable of doing full lockdown. We are not financially stable. 

Posted (edited)

The mask situation in France is a catastrophe.

All the medical personal & all french people at large  are calling for them and there aren't much.

I don't how long our health care system will last without them or so few of them.

I saw a sad picture of nurses who tried to make masks with their bras.

French authorities lied at our fucking faces saying people don't need them but all medical personel do.

The situation is so surreal I can't even ...

Edited by The Futurist

China begins clinical trials for coronavirus vaccine

BEIJING — The race is on to develop a covid-19 vaccine.

Volunteers in Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, began posting pictures on social media this week after they received injections developed by Chinese researchers. Clinical trials funded by the National Institutes of Health also began simultaneously in Seattle.

As part of the first phase of China’s vaccine development, researchers have recruited 108 volunteers who are Wuhan residents and between the ages of 18 and 60. The trial patients have been split into three groups and given different doses of the vaccine, Chinese drug regulators told local media on Saturday. The patients will be under observation for the next six months to check for adverse reactions.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JB33 said:

In one step India just swept right over Canada. Not that India doesn't still have lots of work to do,but Canada is still resorting to government officials and newscasters saying sternly on TV to stay home. Not surprisingly, a great many people aren't taking it seriously.

Meanwhile France is deploying helicopters and drones to ensure compliance. 

Well India has one thing that West don't. Idiocy and Illiteracy.

Many of Indians are believing that virus can't survive more than 12 hours without contact, so from tomorrow, Corona is over.

Others think that government will be spraying chemicals today, so stay in home.  

I was already off this week but I just had a call from work and we’re shutting till after Easter at this stage. 

Getting paid as normal. 

Thinking about it and I don’t think I’ve had a more then 3 week period off work in over a decade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Nah massively overblown. We will recover faster than 08. That's my opinion of course.

Financial repurcussions will be far worse than 08. Much longer recovery time

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Is New York the only state that's testing? I have hard time believing it makes up almost half the number of cases in the US. Other states should be higher.

Edited by lorddemaxus