DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

A half-hearted lockdown isn’t going to work in the U.K. 

• ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, Heretic said:

A half-hearted lockdown isn’t going to work in the U.K. 

In his heart, Boris still wants to infect the children and hide granny for a few months.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AndyK said:

I know we have all become armchair virologists now but this is what I learned from scientific journals in a nutshell.

Vaccines are generally only 50% effective anyway and no one has successfully made a usable corona virus vaccine that gave lasting immunity.

They tried it with the common cold corona virus which accounts for 10..30% of colds, they have historical records of the virus from decades ago and even though the virus hasn't mutated over that period, they can't cure it.

Seems the human body doesn't hold its corona viruses antibodies very long, 6 months on average on a gradually reducing scale.

It's not because the human body doesn't hold onto its antibodies to coronaviruses. It's because coronaviruses mutate rapidly, so that when you get re-infected several months or years later, the virus that re-infects you is not the same virus as the one that originally infected you, causing the antibody to only be a partial match.

The flu virus is another such virus, this is why a new flu shot is required every year. This is therefore likely to be the case for the coronavirus as well.

The good news is that even partial immunity is better than no immunity. This is the main reason why the 1918 flu and other new flu strains eventually fade away in following flu seasons. Even when re-infected (by a mutated strain) of the COVID-19 virus, most people would probably experience a milder disease. This would likewise be the case for vaccinated individuals.

Vaccines are generally very effective (>90%) for viruses that do not mutate quickly. (Smallpox, polio, measles, rubella, hepatitis B, etc.)

Edited by Jason
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

It's looks like  Indian government will not uodate cases from now on. 

ICMR updates cases at 6PM IST. It's 7PM and no update from them. 

Only private sources are updating cases. 

Looks like we are on our own now. Modi's gimmick worked. 

• Like 1

Netherlands: another country where infecting 60% of the population is the goal (for now?).

Rutte explained the Netherlands' social-distancing approach to the Covid-19 outbreak. Residents are instructed to self-isolate as much as possible so that hospitals don't get overrun, but not completely so that some herd immunity can be built in the population.

RIVM director Jaap van Dissel later explained that herd immunity is not the government's end goal, but merely a stalling tactic while we wait for a vaccine. He also said that around 60 percent of the population must have had and recovered from Covid-19 for herd immunity to be achieved.

8 hours ago, JB33 said:

Good on you. I respect that it's hard for anyone to leave their job to "make a statement", but the more workers don't stand for BS,  the better chance things will change.

Then again, I caution everyone I talk to about this that I've also screwed myself several times for being TOO vocal. I don't know, I just don't stand for shit and I have faith that good karma will come my way for doing the right thing and sending the right message. Usually it does happen that way, luckily.

One thing I don't share with many, but I'm comfortable sharing here: my little boy passed away a few years ago. He was hit by a car when he was away visiting my parents. I got the call at work and had to leave immediately. I arranged to have someone else cover the rest of my shift and when I let my boss know, he scolded me for not running it through him first. Like, my kid is being rushed to the hospital and I still made sure I had things covered before announcing I gotta go, and he scolds me like I'm a child not asking to leave the classroom. Needless to say, I said I was done there and I never returned. 

I do have some mental health issues that affect how I react to things, namely borderline personality disorder, so yes, I have gotten myself into trouble at job sites unnecessarily with some of my decisions and behaviour, but that time I thought I was in the right to give the guy the middle finger. Besides the loss of my boy obviously, things did work out on the job side of things. I did end up being taken care of and got a different great job.

Anyway, sorry. I don't know why I decided to go into all that. I guess, like I said, I believe in doing what you feel is right, no matter how rash it seems. I realize none of this may apply to you and your decision may have been far more measured but I decided to spill my beans on the topic anyway haha.

I'm really sorry you've been through that...that's my worst nightmare...

• Thanks 1

Man runs marathon on balcony during coronavirus lockdown

A man in lockdown in France ran a marathon from his balcony to encourage others to keep fit during self-isolation.

Elisha Nochomovitz pounded out 26.2 miles from a 23ft space in and called the challenge both a mental and physical effort...

https://in.style.yahoo.com/man-runs-marathon-balcony-during-155907739.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so done with this pathetic shit hole country. See the whole thread and replies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • ...wtf 6
  • Disbelief 1

Coronavirus Update India : (8PM 22nd March)

Total cases : 388 (+54)

Recovered : 23(+0)

Death : 7(+3)

Will give full update with some breakdown at midnight. 

Source: https://www.covid19india.org/

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's not because the human body doesn't hold onto its antibodies to coronaviruses. It's because coronaviruses mutate rapidly, so that when you get re-infected several months or years later, the virus that re-infects you is not the same virus as the one that originally infected you, causing the antibody to only be a partial match.

The flu virus is another such virus, this is why a new flu shot is required every year. This is therefore likely to be the case for the coronavirus as well.

The good news is that even partial immunity is better than no immunity. This is the main reason why the 1918 flu and other new flu strains eventually fade away in following flu seasons. Even when re-infected (by a mutated strain) of the COVID-19 virus, most people would probably experience a milder disease. This would likewise be the case for vaccinated individuals.

Vaccines are generally very effective (>90%) for viruses that do not mutate quickly. (Smallpox, polio, measles, rubella, hepatitis B, etc.)

I'd like to believe that, but it's just not true.

Corona viruses are very slow mutating, the common cold hasn't changed in 30 years.

Humans don't keep the antibodies.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/20/819038431/do-you-get-immunity-after-recovering-from-a-case-of-coronavirus

I can't believe people in their right minds can still talk about so called herd immunity. There is not even a slightest proof that such thing exists.  And they still dont realize that even 0.01% of population with virus is more than enough to overload any health system.  It's more like a pathetic excuse. Well, if we fail with all our measures it might be not that bad. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Chutiyas in our area started 5 minutes early. But participation here seemed low which I was very happy about. Only people from one society adjacent to ours went crazy and were making noise like morons. 

Youths, perpetual morons, were out on bikes honking horns. I even heard firecrackers go off in the distance. People were out on the streets for this nonsense rendering the curfew useless. 

Now just to clarify, I am mocking those who believe in the nonsense that this will kill the virus due to clapping or after 12 hours. If some people came out to genuinely cheer emergency service workers then good on them. 

Lmao, some guy on reddit, who clearly seems like a nationalist, called me an islam apologist and a racist for saying that this whole clapping shit is nonsense.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)

As an FYI, if you have Amazon Prime Video, there is a documentary from 2016 called "Influenza of 1918".

Well worth watching if for no other reason than Dr. Fauci is one of the medical professionals interviewed in it.

Not suprisingly alot of what we are being asked to do now are talked about in that documentary. Social distancing, closing schools, banning public gatherings, etc. One doctor mentioned they did a study of 43 cities from around the world and what they did in 1918 and how those cities fared. They said the cities that practiced multiples ways to mitigate, started them earlier, and did them for long periods of time had the lowest infection and mortality rates.

Dr. Fauci mentioned pandemics and creating vaccines. Says we have alot of advantages we didn't have in 1918 but that even once they hace a vaccine and have done acceptable testing on it to know it will work and not cause problems, it still takes 4-6 months from that point to ramp up production where he can deliver it worldwide.

Also, from a separate article last night there was a doctor that actual wished rather than using the term 'social distancing' wishes we would use the more appropriate term 'physical distancing'. Humans are social creatures that need social interactions. The intent of 'social distancing' is not to isolate yourself from other humans. It is to keep a physical distance from other humans to help slow the spread of disease. People should not stay cooped up inside their homes, they should go out, they should exercise, just don't do it within 6 feet of other people. 

I will say I find it ironic that when i am outside and see couples outside they are almost never 6 feet apart, I even see some holding hands why they are walking. They obviously don't have a germaphode former pre-med major as a spouse. We currently have a different bedroom, different workspace, and different bathroom for each person in our house.

Edited by RamblinRed
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, some guy on reddit, who clearly seems like a nationalist, called me an islam apologist and a racist for saying that this whole clapping shit is nonsense.

We go through this everyday. 

Bhakts are vile. 

The US and Uk battling right now on which one of them can become the next epicenter of the virus 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

The US and Uk battling right now on which one of them can become the next epicenter of the virus 

Both countries are not in competition anymore. 

We Indians already won. But like everything else we will never know. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Madhuvan said:

Both countries are not in competition anymore. 

We Indians already won. But like everything else we will never know. 

India coming through at the last second to swipe the victory away 

• Haha 1

This is a really nice article with a doctor who is working in one of the hotspots here in Georgia describing what it is like to be on the frontline every day trying to combat this virus.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional/you-walk-every-day-battlefield-georgia-the-outbreak/oaHLA3HogVTcW0mMmO947N/

one other note from the Influena of 1918 documentary I mentioned in a previous post. They also talked about going back to 1918 and trying to determine the most important factor in saving lives. They mentioned it was not doctors, not medicine, it was the level of nursing that seemed to make the biggest difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1