DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

At the rate the numbers are soaring it wouldn't be shocking if we're at 50,000 cases or more in this country 24 hours from now.

5 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Mass testing. Especially in NY State where they have 12K new cases just today. Cuomo is doing fantastic job. I don't understand why California and Washington are not doing the same?

Agreed. Wtf Washington and California?

Just now, filmlover said:

At the rate the numbers are soaring it wouldn't be shocking if we're at 50,000 cases or more in this country 24 hours from now.

Testing is kicking in,the numbers are going up.

Once again, we have been told since this crisis began this would happen but people just did not listen.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

How did the US go from 4K new cases yesterday to 14k today ??

10 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

New York.

15 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Mass testing. Especially in NY State where they have 12K new cases just today. Cuomo is doing fantastic job. I don't understand why California and Washington are not doing the same?

Guys, if you are using worldometer, it was a glitch that said that NY has 12k cases. In reality it has 5k cases and worldometer seems to have fixed the glitch (5k new cases from NY, 8k new cases in the US)

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Guys, if you are using worldometer, it was a glitch that said that NY has 12k cases. In reality it has 5k cases and worldometer seems to have fixed the glitch (5k new cases from NY, 8k new cases in the US)

Yeah it just changed,but  from 4.8K to 8K is still a huge increase, the US will pass Italy at this point. 

fortunately the serious/critical cases and deaths are still relatively lower

21 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Agreed. Wtf Washington and California?

What's the land mass of New York City and Seattle TOGETHER compared to Los Angeles?

44 minutes ago, dudalb said:

International Olympic Commitee is considering postponing the games, probably much to the distress of the Japanese Government.

Why it has taken them this long is ridiculous. 

Also, I went to my local grocer's and saw so many people panic buying non-essential items. I have never lost my faith in humanity so fast.

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, some guy on reddit, who clearly seems like a nationalist, called me an islam apologist and a racist for saying that this whole clapping shit is nonsense.

Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Quora, etc is all filled with these nationalist blind followers (bhakts) of our dear leader and his party. Questioning anything about him or the government will get you labeled liberal, apologist, conspiracist, and the new boogeyman i.e. Muslim. Good thing you are not within the country otherwise anything other than blind praise of our dictator and his government will get u labeled anti national, un patriotic and probably get thrown in jail on sedition charges. 

4 hours ago, a2k said:

ETt60OcU8AAyOiw?format=jpg&name=medium

As scientific as Modi's cloud-radar theory. :rofl:

Really hope this whatsapp msg is sarcasm but can't ever be sure.

It may have started as sarcasm but you can bet ur ass that it will be taken seriously by blind bhakts and unkills on whatsapp and spread around as if true

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Unemployment rate vs. fatality rate. Two sides of the same coin in our country. Interesting to see both how both charts compare.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

The origin of Shabba Hanks is becoming more and more clear 

• Haha 1

Thoughts and prayers. 

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

My prediction is that this will make the big depression look like a bee sting.

We are looking at a radically different society if it takes more than a couple of months to fix.

^^ This is a complete failure to understand the gravity of how massively influential the Great Depression was on the world.  It wasn’t just a generation defining event, it changed the course of history in ways rivaled by only a few events (such as The Fall of the Roman Empire).  It set the stage for everything in the world that followed it (including WW2 and the rise of Hitler).

In fact in the US, The Great Depression was not just a singular depression, but two of them, both spaced out relatively close to each other within the 1930s.  Compare this to the fact that in the worst case range of plausible scenarios for the COVID recession we’d likely be looking at minor Depression, and that is IF we are under lockdown for much longer than the currently anticipated 2-3 months.

To see the scale of the Great Depression, this is a nice academic survey of the period, focusing on the US:

https://academic.oup.com/oxrep/article/26/3/285/374047

I understand there’s lots of uncertainty about how bad this downturn could end up being, there’s not enough information rn to properly determine all of the long run effects, if a quick recovery will be possible and so forth.  And much of that will also depend on how quickly we come back from fighting COVID, government stimulus policies and so forth.  But to say we’re in for a depression that even matches the Great Depression, let alone is worse, and let alone that I makes a decade long Depression look “like a bee sting” is complete folly.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

Good.

If true, Man, the gods of Karma are working overtime today.

Edited by dudalb

while this is horrible(number of sick/dead) and we will have tons of companies going bankrupt and unemployment will soar its nothing like depression. Technically we have not even hit recession(2 consecutive quarters of negative growth). While that will happen soon, I think economy will bounce off once we go down the bell curve of this virus. I expect short term issues due to supply constraint at that point because of after effects. But post that the bounce will be fast. 

Key thing to note is unlike the 30's the economy of today is very different. its not that capital intensive in many industries and there are still many growth engines (AI, 5G, 3D printing etc). I also see massive investments towards biotech post this. I expect travel industries to pick up as people who will be cooped up for 6 months will want to travel out. 

33 minutes ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

Good.

My fake news sense is tingling.

• Like 1