DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

3 minutes ago, kitik said:

My fake news sense is tingling.

That is why I added "If True" to my statement.

It's not on the major news sources, which make me suspcious.

Mitt Romney and Mike Lee, both US Senators from utah have self quarantined.

And In Germany ,Angela Merkel has self quarantined.

This is bad, if the leadership starts to go down.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Is this KARMA

Plus he was the one who slowed down coronavirus bill on some bullshit amendment which had no chance of passing.

Yeah, Karma caught up with Rand Paul, and did not waste much time doing it.

Same for his daddy and his "it's all a conspiracy" BS.

Edited by dudalb

This is really bad, for what it means for Burkina Faso and Africa. There are probably a lot of undetected cases already.

The US ambassador to the West African country of Burkina Faso, Andrew Young, has tested positive for Covid-19. Italy’s ambassador to the country, along with several of the nation’s government ministers, have also tested positive for the virus.

4 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

53 578 cases in Italy. That's less than 0.1% from entire population. More in most affected regions, much less in others. Health system already nearly collapsed at least a week ago.  And I'm not talking about herd immunity overall. Besides that effect is for mass vaccination not for spreading the virus. And we can't take everything for granted with the virus no one knew it even existed 4 months ago. 

We have no idea how many case there is in Italy it one of the place that test the least vs the number of case they probably have in the world they are overwhelmed, maybe 1% of the population has or had it (600 000) by now.

It is true that we cannot take anything for granted, but wasn't heard immunity a large part of how something like the Spanish flu ended to be such a big problem ? Vaccine arrived way later, it must be exclusively working in case of vaccin.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-outbreak-end.html

Pandemics end when the virus doesn't have enough susceptible people to infect. 

The catastrophic 1918 Spanish flu pandemic is thought to have infected 500 million people worldwide, many of them soldiers living in close quarters fighting in World War I. Once the war ended and people dispersed, the spread slowed as people had less contact. But the flu was ultimately halted in part because those who survived it had immunity and the virus didn't hop as easily as it did at the beginning. 

The cost of doing it would be giant, but I imagine that it could work.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

136 new cases for NSW in 24 hours

NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant has said NSW now has 669 confirmed cases of COVID-19 – an increase of 136 in the last 24 hours.

Overseas acquired infections accounted for 327 cases and 155 are close contacts or other confirmed cases.

There are 65 locally acquired cases and the remainder are under investigation. Ten COVID-19 patients are in Intensive Care Units, and six people have died so far.

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Mitt Romney and Mike Lee, both US Senators from utah have self quarantined.

And In Germany ,Angela Merkel has self quarantined.

This is bad, if the leadership starts to go down.

That was my earlier point...if Congress goes down, we only have the executive in the US to determine and lead the federal response...

It's bad if the politicians in any country start going down...well, almost any country...I might have an exception or two...

30 minutes ago, The Panda said:

^^ This is a complete failure to understand the gravity of how massively influential the Great Depression was on the world.  It wasn’t just a generation defining event, it changed the course of history in ways rivaled by only a few events (such as The Fall of the Roman Empire).  It set the stage for everything in the world that followed it (including WW2 and the rise of Hitler).

In fact in the US, The Great Depression was not just a singular depression, but two of them, both spaced out relatively close to each other within the 1930s.  Compare this to the fact that in the worst case range of plausible scenarios for the COVID recession we’d likely be looking at minor Depression, and that is IF we are under lockdown for much longer than the currently anticipated 2-3 months.

To see the scale of the Great Depression, this is a nice academic survey of the period, focusing on the US:

https://academic.oup.com/oxrep/article/26/3/285/374047

I understand there’s lots of uncertainty about how bad this downturn could end up being, there’s not enough information rn to properly determine all of the long run effects, if a quick recovery will be possible and so forth.  And much of that will also depend on how quickly we come back from fighting COVID, government stimulus policies and so forth.  But to say we’re in for a depression that even matches the Great Depression, let alone is worse, and let alone that I makes a decade long Depression look “like a bee sting” is complete folly.

If the virus was fixed tomorrow, there would still be a recession caused by the existing measures.

But it can't be fixed tomorrow, it cant be fixed until there is a vaccine and that is due 18 months from now, by which time, with these measures, there will be no privately owned businesses left apart from supermarkets and toilet roll manufacturers.

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

We have no idea how many case there is in Italy it one of the place that test the least vs the number of case they probably have in the world they are overwhelmed, maybe 1% of the population has or had it (600 000) by now.

It is true that we cannot take anything for granted, but wasn't heard immunity a large part of how something like the Spanish flu ended to be such a big problem ? Vaccine arrived way later, it must be exclusively working in case of vaccin.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-outbreak-end.html

Pandemics end when the virus doesn't have enough susceptible people to infect. 

The catastrophic 1918 Spanish flu pandemic is thought to have infected 500 million people worldwide, many of them soldiers living in close quarters fighting in World War I. Once the war ended and people dispersed, the spread slowed as people had less contact. But the flu was ultimately halted in part because those who survived it had immunity and the virus didn't hop as easily as it did at the beginning. 

The cost of doing it would be giant, but I imagine that it could work.

Yeah its kind of dumb to say herd immunity dont work, if it didn't work everybody would die.

Any infectious disease that kills its host 100% is a pretty stupid disease with no future.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

There was a decrease in tests though. 3,800 tests in just Lombardy (10,000 down from yesterday).

I missed that, definitely makes the cases look worse. At least deaths were down, but probably won't last.

3 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Absolutely brutal to say that 650 deaths in a day is a good day. 😬

(I know what you mean.)

Yeah, I know what you mean too. It is brutal.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Is this KARMA

Plus he was the one who slowed down coronavirus bill on some bullshit amendment which had no chance of passing.

Libertarianism is dying an ungraceful death at the hands of Covid19.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/18/2020 at 11:48 PM, DeeCee said:

Here's a challenge for someone.  Track the percentage of confirmed cases vs the number of tests.  

Italy last 20 days:

Positives Tests Ratio
466 2511 0.19
587 3981 0.15
769 2525 0.30
778 3997 0.19
1247 5703 0.22
1492 7875 0.19
1797 3889 0.46
977 6935 0.14
2313 12393 0.19
2651 12857 0.21
2547 11477 0.22
3497 11682 0.30
3590 15729 0.23
3233 13063 0.25
3526 10695 0.33
4207 16884 0.25
5322 17236 0.31
5986 24109 0.25
6557 26336 0.25
5560 25180 0.22

For all the days before that 9% were positive. I feel like testing going down during the weekend could become a thing of the past real soon.

Edited by Barnack
6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Italy last 20 days:

Positives Tests %
466 2511 0.19
587 3981 0.15
769 2525 0.30
778 3997 0.19
1247 5703 0.22
1492 7875 0.19
1797 3889 0.46
977 6935 0.14
2313 12393 0.19
2651 12857 0.21
2547 11477 0.22
3497 11682 0.30
3590 15729 0.23
3233 13063 0.25
3526 10695 0.33
4207 16884 0.25
5322 17236 0.31
5986 24109 0.25
6557 26336 0.25
5560 25180 0.22

For all the days before that 9% were positive. I feel like testing going down during the weekend could become a thing of the past real soon.

I think you have your % out by a factor of 100.

36 minutes ago, AndyK said:

If the virus was fixed tomorrow, there would still be a recession caused by the existing measures.

But it can't be fixed tomorrow, it cant be fixed until there is a vaccine and that is due 18 months from now, by which time, with these measures, there will be no privately owned businesses left apart from supermarkets and toilet roll manufacturers.

There will be a vaccine within 180 days. Likely less.

I'd bet my mortgage not a chance in hell this even sniffs depression. Maybe great recession. You got a president who is DESPERATE to win and will spend 5 trillion if that's what it takes to help his chances.

People trying to take political advantage of this don't fully realize (yet) how bad this is going to turn no matter if your country is right/left - capitalist/communist or whatever. Every healthcare system is crashing / will crash. 

Yeah, China fucked up by covering this up for a whole month. Yeah, Trump fucked up by terribly underplaying this. Yeah Italy/Spain/UK/Latin America fucked up. See the trend? 

It just shows how humanity isn't ready yet to handle a pandemic crisis, and honestly this is the first time in history that we could've been. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Unemployment for the Great Depression peaked around 25%.

Reported %. Real figure was 40ish percent for a long time (underemployment and unemployment)

This is a 2-3 quarter nightmare.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, dudalb said:

That is why I added "If True" to my statement.

It's not on the major news sources, which make me suspcious.

It's true.  😎   ...possibly. 

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/harvey-weinstein-coronavirus-test-positive-new-york-prison-1203541842/

Edited by Macleod