DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Some people are going to just cling to false optimism that this is going to over in a couple of weeks, and will not be moved from that.

I'm not sure if that is quite as disturbing as the people who seem to be hyping the foreign the death count like it's the next big midnight gross & and seemingly want to see this administration fail in solving the problem. 

• Like 2

Society has collapsed. Civilization has ended!

McDonald's will close all restaurants in the UK and Ireland on Monday

CNN's Mia Alberti and Mohammed Tawfeeq

A customer orders from a self-service kiosk at a McDonald's in Milton Keynes, England, on March 20.
A customer orders from a self-service kiosk at a McDonald's in Milton Keynes, England, on March 20. Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

All McDonald's restaurants in the United Kingdom and Ireland will close at 7 p.m. Monday, according to a statement from Paul Pomroy, McDonald’s UK and Ireland CEO.

"Over the last 24 hours, it has become clear that maintaining safe social distancing whilst operating busy takeaway and Drive Thru restaurants is increasingly difficult," Pomroy said. "We have not taken this decision lightly and know that our restaurants have been playing an important role in the community providing hundreds of thousands of free drinks to frontline health and social workers and emergency services personnel."

Pomroy thanked the 135,000 employees for "adapting so quickly to a constantly evolving work environment, taking every step to keep our customers, couriers and teams safe and looking after each other so very well."

It was unclear when the restaurants would reopen.

• Astonished 1

Seriously 🙄🙄🙄  I'm sure others have seen this but it really is ridiculous, and infuriating. And of course, the most "shocking" result happened:

https://fox8.com/news/college-students-in-florida-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-spring-break-trip/?fbclid=IwAR2di9t6dEZhPZhtECLQjKoVeZWdj6C6T_l6swMlwR3U-gGMG2PJFQ70Aqc

34 minutes ago, excel1 said:

It says a lot about people & society when they're much more energized and interested in posting content about how dumb some spring breakers are or how insanely high the death count is in a certain country. A pandemic was clearly right up the alley for the appetite of the panic-happy practices of the lovers of manufactured outrage. 

Once again, you are simply trolling this thread. (Especially vile considering the subject matter.)

***Death counts*** and tens of thousands (or more) of stupid kids spreading the virus isn't relevant info in a thread ABOUT and FOLLOWING the pandemic???

Manufactured outrage? These little derelicts infected hundreds of thousands of people in Florida. (A state with a massive older population.)

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

while this is horrible(number of sick/dead) and we will have tons of companies going bankrupt and unemployment will soar its nothing like depression. Technically we have not even hit recession(2 consecutive quarters of negative growth). While that will happen soon, I think economy will bounce off once we go down the bell curve of this virus. I expect short term issues due to supply constraint at that point because of after effects. But post that the bounce will be fast. 

Key thing to note is unlike the 30's the economy of today is very different. its not that capital intensive in many industries and there are still many growth engines (AI, 5G, 3D printing etc). I also see massive investments towards biotech post this. I expect travel industries to pick up as people who will be cooped up for 6 months will want to travel out. 

Absolutely incorrect on practically every level imaginable. Once the vaccine is out and things go back to normal, the economy will have deeply suffered. Most countries are set to go on full down lockdown as if they were in war...the economy is already getting hit massively everywhere. 

And yes, I agree that there will be massive investments. 

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I'm not sure if that is quite as disturbing as the people who seem to be hyping the foreign the death count like it's the next big midnight gross & and seemingly want to see this administration fail in solving the problem. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, excel1 said:

It says a lot about people & society when they're much more energized and interested in posting content about how dumb some spring breakers are or how insanely high the death count is in a certain country. A pandemic was clearly right up the alley for the appetite of the panic-happy practices of the lovers of manufactured outrage. 

Um.

Well, seeing as how when one is doing the right thing by staying in doors (vs. some others who just say "fuck it and fuck whoever I give it too"), that would mean me along with others have more than likely NOTHING to do but have sat on the couch literally finding something to do due to boredom of rewatching TV shows or playing games. There's only so much one can do in a situation like this, I'm not exactly sure what it is you are implying. What's incredible is the fact there are some people who literally can't even just stay at home and literally do whatever you want is what is really appalling. 

And yes, it is DUMB. Literally for 1). Ignoring that a pandemic is literally going on in front of your eyes. Yeah, it sucks it fell on your spring break. Boo fucking hoo, how about real a real fucking crisis like "gee, thousands if not millions of people are about to get laid off from their jobs not knowing that even when this is all said and done they'll even get their jobs BACK." I work at a hotel, sure I can collect unemployment (which THAT isn't even all that easy, as you have no clue what you are going to get if you get anything), however what if my hotel doesn't have the resources to reopen? What if this goes on for months? What then? I think financial hardships not to mention more importantly health should have more concerns vs. the hardship of "my week long vacation of getting hammered and laid are destroyed". Oh please. 

2). It's highly ignorant of them to just assume that it ONLY affects them. They clearly don't know or more than likely don't CARE that they could be carriers of said virus. Sure, say what you want whether it's being "over blown" or "over hyped", but the fact is that people are DYING of this disease, and yeah most are the elderly but they are still innocent people that these spring breaker's literally gave ZERO shits about when deciding to NOT give a fuck.

So yeah, excuse me over my "energized" post. Because I do have people I care about and I fear that they could become infected with said virus (perhaps my dad contracts it, whom has had lung problems his whole life) due to negligence of others.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

CHina is now blaming Italy

Actaually, they are only following a report from american news radio NPR.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/817974987/every-single-individual-must-stay-home-italy-s-coronavirus-deaths-pass-china-s

IF this circulated in Italy in November and December, why did it stop before getting severe at the end of February? 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Actaually, they are only following a report from american news radio NPR.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/817974987/every-single-individual-must-stay-home-italy-s-coronavirus-deaths-pass-china-s

IF this circulated in Italy in November and December, why did it stop before getting severe at the end of February? 

I had someone telling me something like this on twitter, that other strains of the virus were in the US back in October, that everything originated here. If that were true why no diagnoses or fatalities until February/March...

25 minutes ago, MattW said:

I had someone telling me something like this on twitter, that other strains of the virus were in the US back in October, that everything originated here. If that were true why no diagnoses or fatalities until February/March...

The virus was in the US, specifically in the Seattle area, much earlier than originally thought. Some 5 weeks earlier. This is known because COVID-19 has mutated several times since it started infecting humans. It was originally thought that the first strain never left China. However, genetic testing of the virus on the first known cases in the Seattle area showed they are from the first, early version of the virus. Someone brought it from China to Seattle in January, where it then circulated undetected.

That said, there is very little chance that the virus originated outside of China. We can prove this using the aforementioned genetic testing. Think about it like a family tree. Scientists can very easily tell a parent from a child using DNA. In the same way, they can track the virus as it spread globally and verify the origins, and where each subsequent outbreak came from.

See this article for some info on the method

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dudalb said:

key vote on COnrona virus stimulus fails.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/politics/stimulus-package-coronavirus-negotiations-congress/index.html

The stock markets will just love this....prepear for anothe very bad day  in economic news tommorow.

This was set up to fail. McConnell excluded Democrats from the discussions, they were Republican caucus only meetings. Mitch knew this was going to happen.