DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Posted (edited)

The failure of the measure to move forward sent Democrats and Republicans back to the bargaining table. The speaker of the House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, said that Democrats in that chamber will begin crafting an alternative bill.

Schumer said more money was needed for community health centers, nursing homes, masks, ventilators, personal protective equipment and aid to state and local governments.

On the Senate floor, a visibly angry McConnell accused Democrats of obstruction.

"Even if Democrats reverse course tomorrow, the vote they cast today will almost certainly cause more Americans to lose their jobs and more seniors hard-earned retirement savings to literally evaporate," he said.

Lawmakers were mindful that a failure to reach a deal on Sunday could batter already reeling financial markets on Monday.

But Democratic Senator Joe Manchin said that would not rush Democrats into a deal they do not want.

"Markets always come back," he said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/were-apart-pelosi-warns-congress-154714510.html

Damn, Sen. Manchin said that?  I'm actually impressed.  That 47-47 vote might not move after all.

(as far as I can tell, that Senate GOP bill really is terrible; at least for directing immediate aid for the folks who need it most)

Edited by Porthos

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/were-apart-pelosi-warns-congress-154714510.html

Damn, Sen. Manchin said that?  I'm actually impressed.  That 47-47 vote might not move after all.

(as far as I can tell, that Senate GOP bill really is terrible; at least for directing immediate aid for the folks who need it most)

The Senate GOP bill is a way to transfer 500B to Trump and his friends, and stock buybacks of course.

• Like 1

Doctors are paying for mistakes done by Chinese Government ( and  some governments around the world) 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

The Trump stuff makes me pretty grateful to have Jacinda around down here.

Trump is so bad he makes me grateful for Doug Ford. (that's the Premier of Ontario, brother of infamous crackhead Mayor Rob Ford, for anyone who might be wondering)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Question time today in the Australian parliament was fantastic. The opposition asked considered appropriate questions and the government gave clear and concise answers. At one point the opposition asked the government if they could increase the access to remote medical assistance and Health Minister said yes they would. 

Normally it’s an embarrassing rabble of obfuscation and Dorothy Dixers. 

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Dixer)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

This is crap. China is testing a vaccine now, and it saying six months for testing...not to mention it will take a few more months to get it into production

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

You do what a vaccine does, don't you?

And why it has to be very carefully tested?

Much less crap than 18 months. I bet you it's way earlier. They are pushing much harder for one this go around. Trials are starting 3-6 months ahead of schedule.

11 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

American legislative system is very bad. 

---

At least we're not getting into fistfights on the Senate floor. qnqGT0e.png

Anymore, at least. qnqGT0e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Much less crap than 18 months. I bet you it's way earlier. They are pushing much harder for one this go around. Trials are starting 3-6 months ahead of schedule.

Trials have already started but it's 12 months minimum to make sure a vaccine is safe and doesn't do more harm than good, and according to experts 18+ months is the optimistic prediction - even if more money and resources will be devoted to this vaccine than any other in history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Even in the crisis Trump wants to help the billionaires. 

How can someone support this monster? I came to know about greatness of America due to Obama. 

Obama was very loved here in India. I didn't know it was possible for Americans to vote for Trump. 

Edited by Madhuvan

Coronavirus India mid-day Update : (  23rd March)

Total cases so far: 433(+32)

Recovered   :23 (+0)

Death           : 7(+0)

Death of one foreign national. (from Italy) 

PS: Very bad start of day for India. Even after lack of testing cases are rising exponentially. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Even in the crisis Trump wants to help the billionaires. 

How can someone support this monster? I came to know about greatness of America due to Obama. 

Obama was very loved here in India. I didn't know it was possible for Americans to vote for Trump. 

At the risk of derailing the thread... 

One word: Nationalism.

Two words: Culture Wars.

Three words: Owning the libs.

There are plenty of people out there who think Donald Trump is/was in fact doing a good job.  I ain't about to debate the merits about that in this thread (plenty in the political section to do that).

But a great amount of the visceral/emotional appeal of one Donald J. Trump is that he in fact relishes sticking it to the enemies of US conservatism.  That's a great deal of his appeal.  Understand that, as well as negative partisanship, and one might be able to grok what's going down a little more.

===

To make this even vaguely on topic, I've said all along that the good (on the surface) US economy was boosting Trump's numbers.  An coronavirus induced free-fall could seriously jeporadize it.

Sure, there's the "rally around the flag" theory.  It's something that actually happens.  On the other hand, folks don't like leaders who lose wars, either.  If the next four, five, six months are really bungled, I don't think any amount of jingoism or fanning the flames against the enemy du jour is gonna cut it.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I don't support conspiracy theories but this is very interesting read. Something is definitely wrong in China. 

Not exactly this but in line with this. 

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In many countries it is very common for people to have multiple mobile connections, mainly for business reasons. If the business is floundering then a lot of people are going to disconnect any extra mobile phones to save money. 15 million disconnections out of 950 million makes sense in the context.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Australia still seems to be looking at a rather modest increase in cases with a lot of testing being done, which would underline the recent study, in which they showed by comparing 100 cities, that the warmer and more humid it gets, the lower the R0-numbers get. 

That's what should be happening for a seasonal virus.

What's confusing is that, in Europe, the warmer southern countries are being hit harder than the northern colder countries.

14 minutes ago, AndyK said:

That's what should be happening for a seasonal virus.

What's confusing is that, in Europe, the warmer southern countries are being hit harder than the northern colder countries.

Northern Italy might be colder than you expect, January in Milan averages 2.5C, compared with London at 5.2C. 

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but it looks important, Coronavirus can cause a loss of sense of smell and taste.

Doctor groups are recommending testing and isolation for people who lose their ability to smell and taste, even if they have no other symptoms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-symptoms-smell-taste.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

So take extreme caution if you find yourself not smelling anything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Apparently the myGov website can handle up to 55,000 concurrent users. Last week it averaged 6,500 concurrent users. At about 9:30am this morning it peaked at 96,000 users triggering a DDoS alarm. That doesn’t mean it was a DDoS attack it’s just that so many people were trying to access it the automatic system settings thought there was a DDoS. 

This was the answer from the minister in Question Time right now. 

They should just be giving money directly to people. Do what the UK did, 80% of weekly income for the duration of unemployment.