DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

A European clinical trial to evaluate four experimental treatments for COVID-19 starts today. Coordinated by Inserm as part of the Reacting consortium, this trial will include at least 800 French patients with severe forms of COVID-19.

It is planned to include 3200 European patients from Belgium, France, Germany Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. In France, at least 800 hospitalized COVID-19 patients will be recruited in conventional medicine departments or in intensive care. “Five French hospitals will initially participate (Paris – Hôpital Bichat-AP-HP, Lille, Nantes, Strasbourg, Lyon) and then we will open other centres to reach at least 20 participating establishments. Our strategy of opening centres will follow the epidemiological situation of the epidemic with a priority for opening new sites in hospitals under high pressure”. Recruitment  starts today.

The DISCOVERY trial includes five treatment modalities:

• standard of care
  • standard of care plus remdesivir
  • standard of care plus lopinavir and ritonavir,
  • standard of care plus lopinavir, ritonavir and interferon beta
  • standard of care plus hydroxy-chloroquine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Why would Democrats care if the stock market collapses? Most of the market doesn't affect regular Americans in any way, the biggest effect is 401ks only, everything else is affecting the very rich only. 

My guess is the bailout fails if they do not include severe terms on companies.

Wonder how Trump will feel when it decimates the elder population in Florida.

Yeah, someone needs to remind him the COVID-19 virus kills more of his core voting demographic than it does democrats and then see how fast he moves.

Edited by AndyK

First update in Spain is MUCH better than yesterday: +1.141 cases and +41 deaths. Yesterday's first update included +340 deaths and totalled at 391 in the evening. I really hope there's no reason behind these numbers besides the quarantine taking effect. SO GOOD NEWS.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, Porthos said:

At the risk of derailing the thread... 

One word: Nationalism.

Two words: Culture Wars.

Three words: Owning the libs.

Spoiler

There are plenty of people out there who think Donald Trump is/was in fact doing a good job.  I ain't about to debate the merits about that in this thread (plenty in the political section to do that).

But a great amount of the visceral/emotional appeal of one Donald J. Trump is that he in fact relishes sticking it to the enemies of US conservatism.  That's a great deal of his appeal.  Understand that, as well as negative partisanship, and one might be able to grok what's going down a little more.

===

To make this even vaguely on topic, I've said all along that the good (on the surface) US economy was boosting Trump's numbers.  An coronavirus induced free-fall could seriously jeporadize it.

Sure, there's the "rally around the flag" theory.  It's something that actually happens.  On the other hand, folks don't like leaders who lose wars, either.  If the next four, five, six months are really bungled, I don't think any amount of jingoism or fanning the flames against the enemy du jour is gonna cut it.

Trump has 4 big advantages this election:

1) He holds the executive office and can pass orders to appease people and swing state as he pleases. Similar to how before the re-election was due Obama passed a pro-Dreamer order.

2) He has been normalized as a president. There was a taboo around voting for him in affluent areas, cities back in 2016. Now he has a record of normal SOTU speeches, approval ratings and the stigma of telling folks you voted for him has reduced. Even republican establishment wasn't fully backing him in 2016.

3) Biden like HRC is a pro-trade candidate and Trump will use that to point out how supply chain is in China. He has to stand in front of one factory in a swing state and pass an order to fund a supply chain to make masks there and milk that story.

4) Not much of a contrast - Unlike Sanders, Biden is going to find it tough to contrast against Trump. They will attack him on family corruption, gaffes, misogyny like Trump was attacked. HRC on the other hand had folks who wanted to be part of history and vote for the 1st female president, was very organized and disciplined. Obama still was in office and campaigned like hell for her as a sitting president.

2 hours ago, Andreas said:

First update in Spain is MUCH better than yesterday: +1.141 cases and +41 deaths. Yesterday's first update included +340 deaths and totalled at 391 in the evening. I really hope there's no reason behind these numbers besides the quarantine taking effect. SO GOOD NEWS.

• Sad 3
2 hours ago, Andreas said:

Seems like it was a false hope with now it being +410 deaths... :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Romania update: +143 cases (biggest single day increase..), bringing total to 576 cases. Another 11 people recovered and were sent home. Another 2 died, an elderly man and an elderly woman, both suffering from diabetes and possibly other pre-existing conditions.

13 minutes ago, Andreas said:

😐 f**k

Sorry for making false hopes. I was looking as usual at Worldometer's first update

You have to take into account the time of the first update. If I'm not mistaken, Spain usually updates a bit later in the day than when worldometer posted. Not sure where worldometer got that initial number from but something to keep in mind going forward. 

It's like NY not usually having updates until later in the day yet worldometer already has numbers for today for the state, as well as some others that typically do not update till later. Again not sure where they got those numbers from. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

mine was a question, he is an Italian journalist sent to Spain. Are these real data?

He is saying that 856 people died in the past 24 hours. That's false. Going by many articles like this one, the total number of confirmed dead (in past 24 hours) is 462: http://www.aaj.tv/english/latest/spain-death-toll-tops-2000-after-462-deaths-in-24-hours-govt/. Also around 5k-6k cases confirmed..

Do we have someone from Spain here?