DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Unlike some of the other reports that have come out, this has the advantage of coming from an actual clinical trial with a reasonable sample size. Also, it actually makes sense from a biochemistry standpoint.

(Favipiravir is an inhibitor of RNA-dependent RNA polymerases, an enzyme that both flu viruses and coronaviruses have that is essential to their reproduction. Humans do not have such an enzyme, which makes it a good target.)

Pity it doesn't help those with advanced severe symptoms, those are the ones that need the most help.

I guess early treatment is the key.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Is this not also indicative of the morality rate increasing though

That will always happen when a country is turning the corner because of the temporal lag. When they have the resources to test more asymptotic and low symptomatic cases, that will make deaths/reported cases to down again.

49 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Some Trump supporters are  cheering about this on line.

Trump supporters are scum.

Imagine how many would cheer Trump getting the virus.. Goes both ways. We shouldn't generalize

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

If POTUS really does push for ending mitigation measures in a week from today (which I don't think he will, as I'm estimating we will have at least 150,000 cases nationwide in a week at the current rate of spread, which won't decrease while the nation continues to bumble around), he should be impeached (again).

Edited by OncomingStorm93

10 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Imagine how many would cheer Trump getting the virus.. Goes both ways. We shouldn't generalize

Turnaround is fair play.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If POTUS really does push for ending mitigation measures in a week from today (which I don't think he will, as I'm estimating we will have at least 150,000 cases nationwide in a week at the current rate of spread, which won't decrease while the nation continues to bumble around), he should be impeached (again).

I disagree. I think he will.

Yes, he is that stupid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andreas said:

You really can't compare Klobuchar's husband to Trump lmao. I can see people cheer Trump getting the virus the same way people cheered when Harvey Weinstein got the virus or when David Koch died last year and I honestly see nothing wrong there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Is this not also indicative of the morality rate increasing though?

Could also be that testing volume is so small for the numbers of case, the % of people that tested positive was not lower, only the number of test went down (I imagine we are looking at sunday result, were some took a break):

Italy daily testing

Positives Tests Ratio
466 2511 0.19
587 3981 0.15
769 2525 0.3
778 3997 0.19
1247 5703 0.22
1492 7875 0.19
1797 3889 0.46
977 6935 0.14
2313 12393 0.19
2651 12857 0.21
2547 11477 0.22
3497 11682 0.3
3590 15729 0.23
3233 13063 0.25
3526 10695 0.33
4207 16884 0.25
5322 17236 0.31
5986 24109 0.25
6557 26336 0.25
5560 25180 0.22
4789 17066 0.22

If testing capability will have continued to ramp up with demand, I imagine they could have easily went back to an under 10% positives case and find 10 of thousand more case as well.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Maybe but it is impossible to do any social distancing in this store. Plenty of old people come in and they are most at risk.

Well sure, at this point the stores should have social distancing measures instituted: only X number of people inside at once, tape strips on the floor to keep people at the checkout spaced at least 6’ away from each other, etc. 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

“Trump’s view that he can ignore Fauci’s opinion may be influenced by advice he’s getting from Jared Kushner, whose outside-the-box efforts have often rankled those in charge of managing the crisis… Kushner has told Trump about experimental treatments he’s heard about from executives in Silicon Valley…  Throughout the crisis, Kushner has counseled Trump that the crisis isn’t as bad as the media is portraying. Two sources said Vice President Mike Pence has complained to Trump about Kushner’s meddling in the work of the coronavirus task force.

Well, I mean, Kushner has successfully brokered peace between Israel and Palestine as well as helping Saudi Arabia become a model of human rights in the Middle East, so maybe his "outside the box" thinking is just what is called for here.

• Sad 3

I think the national distancing is likely to be over after 15 days. This is one of a number of articles talking about Trump and those around him and the decision making.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/trump-coronavirus-lockdown-skepticism-143800

Likely to be replaced with allowing some to go back to work and allowing states and localities to decide whether to impose stricter regulations on people.

The article also mentions Gov Cuomo's PC today talking about both taking care of people but also needing to restart the economy.

1 minute ago, RamblinRed said:

I think the national distancing is likely to be over after 15 days. This is one of a number of articles talking about Trump and those around him and the decision making.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/trump-coronavirus-lockdown-skepticism-143800

Likely to be replaced with allowing some to go back to work and allowing states and localities to decide whether to impose stricter regulations on people.

The article also mentions Gov Cuomo's PC today talking about both taking care of people but also needing to restart the economy.

Meanwhile, on the front page of cnn.com:

This is what happened when Hong Kong let its guard down

Hong Kong (CNN) Only a week ago, Hong Kong seemed like a model for how to contain the novel coronavirus, with a relatively small number of cases despite months of being on the front lines of the outbreak.

That was in large part thanks to action taken early on, while cases were spreading across mainland China, to implement measures that are now familiar throughout the world: virus mapping, social distancing, intensive hand-washing, and wearing masks and other protective clothing.

Hong Kong was proof that these measures worked, with the city of 7.5 million only reporting some 150 cases at the start of March, even as the number of infections spiked in other East Asian territories like South Korea and Japan, and spread rapidly across Europe and North America.

Now, however, Hong Kong is providing a very different object lesson -- what happens when you let your guard down too soon. The number of confirmed cases has almost doubled in the past week, with many imported from overseas, as Hong Kong residents who had left -- either to work or study abroad, or to seek safety when the city seemed destined for a major outbreak earlier this year -- return, bringing the virus back with them.

On Monday, Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced that all non-residents would be barred from the territory as of Wednesday, the latest addition to a raft of new measures.

This is a pattern playing out across parts of Asia -- mainland China, Singapore, Taiwan -- that were among the first to tackle the outbreak. All are now introducing new restrictions as a sudden wave of renewed cases begins to crest.

Compared to major cities in the West, like London or New York, residents in Hong Kong can sometimes feel as if they're living in the future. Many of the measures enacted in the Asian metropolis back in February are now being rolled out in European and American cities.

But this latest lesson may be a bitter pill to swallow, as it indicates that quarantines and social distancing must continue well beyond the initial wave of cases, if another round of infections is to be avoided.

(bolding done by me)

More at the link, including what HK is doing now.

And this is from a place that had much stricter controls than the US has had.

• Like 1

On track for 1M reported global cases before April. Maybe global containment measures can prevent that, but I doubt it.