DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Romania update: +148 cases since yesterday. 762 total. 79 recovered, 8 died (all have been elderly persons between 65-75 years, having pre-existing conditions). 15 are in ICU.

• Sad 1
56 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

So, India has stopped testing. Very few cases today. This doesn't match with any country trend. 

Something is definitely fishy. 

Can't point my finger because there is no data? 

Suddenly Coronavirus disappeared from India. 

The hospitals in 10 days will tell the real story.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Romania update: +148 cases since yesterday. 762 total. 79 recovered, 8 died (all have been elderly persons between 65-75 years, having pre-existing conditions). 15 are in ICU.

That seems a big jump. +148 cases in one day implies a 24% increase. We had that range of numbers 16 days ago: 673 cases (+34%) and 12 deaths. A trend? Be careful.

58 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

So, India has stopped testing. Very few cases today. This doesn't match with any country trend. 

Something is definitely fishy. 

Can't point my finger because there is no data? 

Suddenly Coronavirus disappeared from India. 

maybe am missing something but it's already +39 over yesterday and the day isn't over. https://www.covid19india.org/

11 minutes ago, a2k said:

maybe am missing something but it's already +39 over yesterday and the day isn't over. https://www.covid19india.org/ 

Most of these cases are of NRIs that returned to Punjab today/yesterday. 

I am waiting for Icmr report. It will tell exactly how many got tested today. 

They are not testing much in Delhi, Bihar and UP. Maharashtra and Kerala are doing good on that front. We still don't have confirmation from government about community transmission. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Thanks 1

So, we made my living room a movie theater yesterday, got the theater popcorn, and let my son pick any movie he wanted from Amazon rental for his birthday.  He picked Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014).  I hadn't watched it before (yes, yes, I'm one of 5), but that intro...damn, it's like we're reliving it now.

It was a wonderfully CGI-d/motion capture movie with realistic motives, but it was both slow and predictable...and bored my teen girls...

For me, it gets a B/B-...probably a higher grade if I was watching it during normal times, but I'm thinking living through it made the opening just not that special...and then the main movie just a little "there".

But for the person asking for more pandemic movies, here's another one:)...

Speaking of pandemic-entertainment, on the other side of the spectrum of Apes/Contagion and the like....

"Medical Police" on Netflix. A Zucker-Abrams-Zucker/Mel Brooks style comedy show about American doctors at a hospital in Brazil who are enlisted by the CDC on a secret international espionage mission to stop a global virus (from bioterrorism). It's the spinoff of an old Adult Swim show called Children's Hospital.

2 hours ago, Andreas said:

Romania update: +186* cases since yesterday. 762 total. 79 recovered, 8 died (all have been elderly persons between 65-75 years, having pre-existing conditions). 15 are in ICU.

Romania will go into FULL LOCKDOWN tomorrow. Everyone needs papers and can leave the house only for essential travel: shopping, job. People 65+ cannot leave their house AT ALL. Someone else needs to shop for them.

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trump's eagerness to "open the country" will backfire in spectacular fashion, in any number of ways:

1: The situation deteriorates so much over the next week, which it will (hospital systems in half a dozen states will be overloaded in a week) that he can't follow through.

2: He does roll back the distancing measures, at which point every single additional infection and death from that point onward is on his hands.

3: The economic crash is inevitable. Doesn't matter if it's in the immediate, due to shutting down the country for health reasons, or months from when businesses have to close because everyone is sick. Trump's gamble is that by spreading out the economic impact, the economic fallout will be more manageable. He's trying to flatten the curve of the stock exchange, but it's not tenable.

It seems to me that the cornerstone of Trump's plan is Florida. At the moment, we in Florida have the 7th most cases of any state, with hotspots in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Every state ahead of us on the list, and almost a half-dozen sitting behind us, have issued a stay-at-home order. Florida, Georgia, other red states are going to hold out, but will be forced to cave when city/county leadership take matters into their own hand. Florida is the most important state for showing solidarity with POTUS though.

Here's what the data shows. I've been calculating the growth of reported cases in 48 hour intervals. There's some interesting trends:

3/18-3/20: 8669 to 19585 cases (x2.26)

3/19-3/21: 14094 to 2685 cases (x1.9)

3/20-3/22: 19585 to 35187 cases (x1.8)

3/21-3/223: 26855 to 46455 cases (x1.7)

So as more new cases get reported every day than the day prior, adding onto a progressively increasing case count, the multiplier will gradually lower (to a finite point). Based on this data, I'm expecting we have 70,000 diagnosed cases in 48 hours from now, and 100,000 cases in 96 hours (end of Friday, as these data points are from the end of yesterday's numbers). These numbers could easily spike higher if the cases reported over the next two days accelerates quicker than the data currently indicates.

So, at the end of this week, we should have the most reported cases of any nation in the world. If Trump proceeds with re-opening the country at that point, I believe the public and political backlash would be too severe. It's clear that the GOP is already in-fighting over the response to this, with their congressmen calling out Rand Paul for his recklessness, and Sen. Burr for his insider trading. Lindsay Graham is already vocally opposing Trump's messaging from yesterday.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, we made my living room a movie theater yesterday, got the theater popcorn, and let my son pick any movie he wanted from Amazon rental for his birthday.  He picked Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014).  I hadn't watched it before (yes, yes, I'm one of 5), but that intro...damn, it's like we're reliving it now.

It was a wonderfully CGI-d/motion capture movie with realistic motives, but it was both slow and predictable...and bored my teen girls...

For me, it gets a B/B-...probably a higher grade if I was watching it during normal times, but I'm thinking living through it made the opening just not that special...and then the main movie just a little "there".

But for the person asking for more pandemic movies, here's another one:)...

I haven't seen it myself, but some people have mentioned The Hot Zone, a TV mini series from last year. Cast seems solid too.

• Like 1

Good article on the psychology of people staying at home or ignoring the orders.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/health/social-distancing-wellness-trnd/index.html

Breaks down people into three groups

over-responders (hoarders) - this would be my wife and son

under-responders - these are the ones likely to ignore social distancing

people in the middle - people who are doing what is asked without panicking - "pandemic goldilocks). This is the category i'm in.

The article goes on to talk about why people fall into each group.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I'm starting to feel really sorry for Americans right now. A week ago I'd have said the US and UK were in similar boats, but they aren't. Trump is in chronic denial.

I sadly think Trump will survive this no matter how poor he deals with it The division's are sown so deep no one is willing to admit they are wrong.

Nationwide lockdown for 21 days in India.

edit: like grim22 says.

am sure there will some exemptions (weddings, religious gatherings, groceries) and the govt will announce that.

Edited by a2k
9 minutes ago, a2k said:

Nationwide lockdown for 21 days in India.

edit: like grim22 says.

am sure there will some exemptions (weddings, religious gatherings, groceries) and the govt will announce that.

Only groceries. Religious gatherings and weddings will kill us all. 

My brother's wedding is in May. 😅😭