DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

BTW, COVID-19 is now officially called SARS-CoV-2

SARS-CoV-2 is the virus: Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus-2

COVID-19 is the disease, that the virus is causing: Coronavirus Disease-2019

Previous name for the virus was 2019-nCoV: 2019-Novel coronavirus.

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, AndyK said:

UK tests now up to 90,500 with 8000 positives.

That's an 8% infection rate, some of those tests in Italy are showing 60% infection rates.

What I need to know, is postal mail safe, or should I leave it unopened for 24Hrs ?

Leave it overnight...then bring it in, open it, and wash your hands after you deal with it...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

That do not sound quite scientific, UVs intensity is a major potential factor not just heat and humidity, and we are talking of a country of 264 millions, 579 cases-49 deaths is virtually nothing, just say the same fact this way: 

A country really close to the initial outbreak of over 250 million inhabitant was still reporting zero case until recently and is still under 100 death (less than some american city), can those unbelievably low numbers be because it is hotter and more humid there ? (I imagine it is more simply there is no testing done there).

Also like for Australia where the case tend to be heavily from returning traveller, what to look for in hotter country is not the number of case obviously, but local transmission rate.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

“Malaria Drug Chloroquine No Better Than Regular Coronavirus Care, Study Finds“

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-25/hydroxychloroquine-no-better-than-regular-covid-19-care-in-study

Very small study find:

The study involved just 30 patients. Of the 15 patients given the malaria drug, 13 tested negative for the coronavirus after a week of treatment. Of the 15 patients who didn’t get hydroxychloroquine, 14 tested negative for the virus.

9 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

“Malaria Drug Chloroquine No Better Than Regular Coronavirus Care, Study Finds“

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-25/hydroxychloroquine-no-better-than-regular-covid-19-care-in-study

It seemed odd that an anti malaria drug was being used this way, malaria is not a virus, it's not even a bacteria.

Logic would suggest antivirals, such as those used in HIV treatment would be better candidates for investigation.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, AndyK said:

It seemed odd that an anti malaria drug was being used this way, malaria is not a virus, it's not even a bacteria.

Logic would suggest antivirals, such as those used in HIV treatment would be better candidates for investigation.

It is used as an antiviral for a long time:

https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1473309903008065

Lot of flu like virus complication tend to caused by immune response/inflammation, anything that fight those can tend to help and in this case (accumulation of chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine in lymphocytes and macrophages results in anti-inflammatory properties) and has well:

Chloroquine/hydroxychloroquie can impair the replication of several viruses by interacting with the endosome-mediated viral entry or the late stages of replication of enveloped viruses.

It is an antiviral used in HIV treatment.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

They can deliver the virus and the testing: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/03/24/amazon-warehouse-workers-coronavirus-positive/

Amazon workers test positive for covid-19 at nine U.S. warehouses

The spike in positive tests for the disease caused by the novel coronavirus comes as the e-commerce giant races to hire 100,000 workers to meet massive shopper demand.

• Sad 2

What's happening in ya'lls areas, states, regions, countries? 

I'm in Oklahoma and we have about 106 cases, 3 deaths and 735 negatives.  

The major cities here OKC, Norman, maybe Tulsa all have certain "shelter in home" restrictions and rules for essential and non essential businesses. The rule is in effect till 04/14. I did go out yesterday to buy something and it was pretty busy driving about and a lot of the restaurants still function as curbside pickup/drive thru only. As for my work, thankfully my company was able to transition the office to work from home. I was thinking about applying at Amazon to work in their shipping/sorting warehouse but after hearing about a case at one of the facilities I'm not so sure I want to get that extra income during this time. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, AndyK said:

Home testing sounds like a bad idea anyway, how will they collate the results, how can the authorities tell which ones don't need to obey the lockdown?

Sounds like another way to get as many people tested who want/need to be tested. I would assume after their results are processed they will have a followup call to discuss if the person is having any further symptoms if positive, condition, whatever and make suggestions over the phone. 

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Religious university of 15k students. Let's see what happens in one month:

They think their faith will save them? Oh that's right, this is just a flu.

The stupid, it burns! Just watching it is so painful.