DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

No one's discussing who GETS to rule, and if that's what you think is going on here than you're either sorely mislead or you literally don't give a shit to actually read any of the posts in this thread. And don't give me the "I've read every post in this thread, front to back, six times actually, and I'm going to for a seventh time with the wife" crap you normally do.

You're not paying attention to what's going on here. The political discussion, with the exception of a few lunatics that nobody gives the time of day to, has been about how world leaders are responding to this virus. The inept responses we've seen are just as worrying, if not more so, than the virus itself. So ya, that's gonna be a huge topic of discussion on here. If you don't like it, find another forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Not Cool 2
4 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Makes sense. But I WANT to - it's the only thread left to read here. And I want to see once in a while how the other countries are faring with the disaster.

BUT if you say I have to sift through piles of disgusting anti-Trump rhetoric** to get to the COVID stuff - then OK, guess the thread can not be fixed now.

** or ANY politics, as I said in my previous post - it is bad taste to discuss who will rule during a plague. At least, you don't know if there will be anything left to rule over in November. 

Rant over.

You mean reality and indisputable fact? The man is a disgusting piece of shit, from his bigotry to his *admitted on recording* sexual predation, and his handling of the pandemic has been completely disastrous.

Regardless, would you care to explain how the sitting president of the United States of America’s comments and actions directly regarding the pandemic are somehow not relevant to this thread?

• Like 2
  • Not Cool 1
3 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

What other threads, weirdo? The forum is done, there are no movies.

This is the COVID thread - not whatever the fuck you want it to be thread!

Talk about the current disaster - not some wildly unrelated stuff. That's what I'm here for.

There’s one dude here yelling at people, and it’s you. If you wanna put people on ignore, then do so. But it’s damned poor internet etiquette to jump into a thread and complain that it’s not what you want it to be.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Not Cool 1
1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

As a NeverTrumper I would not make this assumption, you could end up being really disappointed in November.

4 weeks ago when Bernie was the leading candidate in the Democratic primary I would have given Trump about a 70-75% chance of being re-elected. All you had to do was look at state level data to see that happening.

With Biden I think it is about 55-45 right now. (But i'd also add the Trump's campaign hasn't used any of its huge war chest yet).

What people have to realize is basically nothing that has happened before March of this year is going to matter in November. And even things like the unemployment rate are going to be somewhat disconnected from their usual meaning. It is going to be a much more viseral/emotional decision for people - do they feel that Trump has done a good job of getting the US through arguably its worst crisis sense WWII over the last 7 months. The fact he f***ed up Jan and Feb won't matter. People have a recency bias. Even if we are still dealing with it, if the majority of people think we are on the right track from it in November - he will likely get re-elected. The populace in general will think well it was awful, but he got us through it and we are ok. The general population is loathe to change leaders in the middle of a crisis if they feel things are going in the right direction. if they think they are going in the wrong direction than it is a whole other matter.

People didn't throw out FDR during the middle of the Great Depresion. People didn't through out Obama in 2012 despite the economic indicators being in a place where he would have been expected to lose. In order to lose in November the majority of American voters will have to decide that the months from March to November were handled poorly by Trump.

FDR was elected during the Great Depression. The economic collapse started while Hoover was in office. The homeless were said to live in Hoovervilles, which were shanty towns made from materials like cardboard and tar paper. If Q2 and Q3 are as bad economically as I believe they will be, Trump will suffer the same fate that Hoover did. That recency bias you mentioned will be his undoing. It won't matter that people's opinions are possibly improving now. The fact that 20%  are unemployed will be all anyone cares about.

• Not Cool 1
6 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Despite numbers coming near to 3k here in Brazil, Religious 'leaders' just managed to stay open during the crisis (thanks to the support of our stupid president).

Religion is something that should've eradicated from earth.

How would you do that? Just forbid everyone to practice religion or execute all religious people including me?

Be glad you have never lived in a communist country where this kind of thinking was encouraged by the state. If you did, you would think twice before commenting stupid shit like this.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
3 minutes ago, misafeco said:

How would you do that? Just forbid everyone to practice religion or execute all religious people including me?

Be glad you have never lived in a communist country where this kind of thinking was encouraged by the state. If you did, you would think twice before commenting stupid shit like this.

Totally agree, it's a pretty idiotic thing to say. Religion has resulted in some very bad things, but so has capitalism, communism, entertainment, fast food, etc. You can't go around being a "thought police". The comment you quoted is pretty ridiculous. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's looking like a lock that the US passes both Italy and China today to become to global leader in diagnosed COVID cases. I'm basing this on the worldometer site. It shows China at 81k, Italy at 80k and the US at 79k. It'll take a while to catch up to Italy in the number of fatalities, but that will happen as well. The wheels are set in motion. The number of deaths in the US is about to explode as hospitals are now hitting capacity. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I love how no one seems to read anymore.... the comment threads on the corona stimulus/ relief  checks remind me why so many have ignored the social distancing and closed contacts rules. 

#disastersmakeidiotsonallsidesobvious

• Like 1
1 minute ago, doublejack said:

It's looking like a lock that the US passes both Italy and China today to become to global leader in diagnosed COVID cases. I'm basing this on the worldometer site. It shows China at 81k, Italy at 80k and the US at 79k. It'll take a while to catch up to Italy in the number of fatalities, but that will happen as well. The wheels are set in motion. The number of deaths in the US is about to explode as hospitals are now hitting capacity. 

And that would not have been unexpected, particularly considering the size of the pool of potential victims is much higher here than in Italy. 

Compared with China is also not an apples to apples since you are looking at two completely different ways of handling a crisis. 

The comparisons of numbers by themselves without any comparisons with % of a population are skewed only for the amount of media and talk that is made possible. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Religion has brought nothing but death and destruction to the world, and it should be a private institution. Practice in your own homes, and if you do have any buildings where you go to gather every week pay taxes on the money you bring in. Believe what you want, but the second it is used to dictate domestic or foreign policy, or vilify entire segments of the population, it needs to be stopped.

A prime example is how religion has become Weaponized in the US, and in regards to the pandemic all of the red/overly religious states still think it is a “liberal godless media hoax“.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

And that would not have been unexpected, particularly considering the size of the pool of potential victims is much higher here than in Italy. 

Compared with China is also not an apples to apples since you are looking at two completely different ways of handling a crisis. 

The comparisons of numbers by themselves without any comparisons with % of a population are skewed only for the amount of media and talk that is made possible. 

Population size is one thing, sure. But the US could be in far better shape had we tested earlier. It's a failure of government that we're in bad shape and things are about to get worse. 

2 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Religion has brought nothing but death and destruction to the world, and it should be a private institution. Practice in your own homes, and if you do have any buildings where you go to gather every week pay taxes on the money you bring in. Believe what you want, but the second it is used to dictate domestic or foreign policy, or vilify entire segments of the population, it needs to be stopped.

A prime example is how religion has become Weaponized in the US, and in regards to the pandemic all of the red/overly religious states still think it is a “liberal godless media hoax“.

I've been saying for years that churches in the US need to lose their tax exempt status. They're just a different kind of corporation pedaling a different kind of good / service.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, doublejack said:

It's looking like a lock that the US passes both Italy and China today to become to global leader in diagnosed COVID cases. I

Always keep in mind that this "diagnosed cases" is exactly that - if a country does not test for this virus, it won't have cases. There are some countries which seem to test only people with symptoms or already hospitalised.

In that respect,

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

is pretty misleading becaus it ranks countries by confirmed cases; to show how serious the situation is it would be better to rank by critical cases / deaths and that per capita. (Look at Netherlands, Sweden, France or Indonesia for examples of stark misleading numbers ...)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, doublejack said:

Population size is one thing, sure. But the US could be in far better shape had we tested earlier. It's a failure of government that we're in bad shape and things are about to get worse. 

I don't disagree, but again the comparison is not an IF but a what, and all of us western / European countries are in the same boat in that regard.

Again numbers on a blank board only tell one aspect of the story and as you presented it, it was a skew without the complete data.