DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

22 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Always keep in mind that this "diagnosed cases" is exactly that - if a country does not test for this virus, it won't have cases. There are some countries which seem to test only people with symptoms or already hospitalised.

In that respect,

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

is pretty misleading becaus it ranks countries by confirmed cases; to show how serious the situation is it would be better to rank by critical cases / deaths and that per capita. (Look at Netherlands, Sweden, France or Indonesia for examples of stark misleading numbers ...)

Can't you sort it by any header though?

Over 1,000 cases in turkey today as well now. That's 11 countries today with more than 1,000 cases today compared with 8 yesterday (One of the ones with over 1,000 yesterday was Switzerland who currently has around 800 more today)

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

https://wdwnt.com/2020/03/walt-disney-world-annual-passholder-not-allowed-to-cancel-payments-despite-losing-work-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic/

Not good at all. I am not going to invest in any company that does not behave ethically at these times. This shows true character of companies. 

That looks bad, but there's generally more than one side about this though. I'm not 100% sure, but supposedly Disney is keeping everyone they employ at full salary, even if they aren't working right now. You wouldn't find many companies who would do that kind of stuff, most would either lay off workers or not pay them if they don't work. Now, a huge company like Disney can probably afford that more easily than almost everyone else, but still.

In general terms, it is unlikely for a company to get everything right, especially at times like these. I would only throw a company under the bus if it had shown a continuous behaviour of mistreatment. Disney hasn't really have any sort of reputation like that. EA is a company with a bad standing almost all around, I wouldn't be so sure about giving them the benefit of doubt. Or any of these vulture-capitalist entities who actively try to keep down their workers and make sure safety regulations are as soft as possible so they can make more money.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I don't disagree, but again the comparison is not an IF but a what, and all of us western / European countries are in the same boat in that regard.

Most European leaders have been incompetent or careless, but it looks like the situation in America will be even more awful - and with one more month to prepare.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

USA has overtaken Italy on worldometers. China to follow in a matter of an hour or two.     

Wouldn't be surprising if we reach 7 figures by the end of April. 

1 hour ago, doublejack said:

FDR was elected during the Great Depression. The economic collapse started while Hoover was in office. The homeless were said to live in Hoovervilles, which were shanty towns made from materials like cardboard and tar paper. If Q2 and Q3 are as bad economically as I believe they will be, Trump will suffer the same fate that Hoover did. That recency bias you mentioned will be his undoing. It won't matter that people's opinions are possibly improving now. The fact that 20%  are unemployed will be all anyone cares about.

But FDR is loosing in the 2020 primaries :(. I doubt if Biden will survive Trump's NAFTA, War Hawk, Family corruption campaign that was used on HRC.

22 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

USA has overtaken Italy on worldometers. China to follow in a matter of an hour or two.     

Took 21 minutes from the time you posted. US to first, China falls to second.

Most troubling are the rapidly increasing number of active COVID cases in the US, as well as the number of serious / critical cases. The US has the highest number of active cases, and will have the highest number of serious and critical cases in the next couple of days. I fear that the numbers are going to explode here very soon.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The US just passed China in number of confirmed cases.

Why is NY so ahead? Edit: NYC I guess but there are other big metros (Chicago, LA) too.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ (Top 5 states)

USA
State
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Active
Cases
Source
New York 37,738 +4,772 385 +19 35,836 [source] [source] [source] [source] [source] [source
New Jersey 6,876 +2,474 81 +19 6,795 [source] [source] [source] [source
California 3,718 +720 78 +13 3,632 [source] [source] [source
Michigan 2,856 +561 60 +17 2,791 [source] [source] [source
Washington 2,588   132   2,332 [source] [source] [source] [source
Edited by a2k
14 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

End of April? Seems on track to happen while we’re in single digits of April.

900,000 more confirmed cases in 14 days (assuming it reaches 100k tomm)? Seems hard to me. Doubt testing will be large enough for that to happen.

If this is including cases that haven't been tested, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that number reaches a million by the end of next week.

Edited by lorddemaxus
4 minutes ago, a2k said:

Why is NY so ahead? Edit: NYC I guess but there are other big metros (Chicago, LA) too.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ (Top 5 states)

USA
State
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Active
Cases
Source
New York 37,738 +4,772 385 +19 35,836 [source] [source] [source] [source] [source] [source
New Jersey 6,876 +2,474 81 +19 6,795 [source] [source] [source] [source
California 3,718 +720 78 +13 3,632 [source] [source] [source
Michigan 2,856 +561 60 +17 2,791 [source] [source] [source
Washington 2,588   132   2,332 [source] [source] [source] [source

Isn't NY doing the most aggressive testing?