DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

38 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

There are gonna be a shitload of people with PTSD. :( 

The ones who were infected or what?

1 hour ago, KJsooner said:

I’m more worried about the psychological effects of this Covid-19 14-21 day quarantine will have on the roughly 40-50 million people who suffer from Anxiety issues in the USA. Not to mention countless more people who will now have anxiety issues bc of it. Not to mention Depression of many people who will be losing jobs et al. I haven’t been on anxiety medication in 10 years. I had to be put on low dose Hydroxyzine for anxiety bc of this lockdown. A friend who works at a pharmacy said they filled a record amount of Anxiety meds yesterday. 

The quarantine is not the only cause of anxiety. I suppose if someone is totally clueless we could lift all restrictions and they'd go about their life all happy and oblivious. Until they came down with COVID. Then the rug would get yanked out from under them.

I'm sorry you are dealing with anxiety. I live with several high anxiety people and can see first hand the effects of how life has changed. Hell, my anxiety is high. We're living through a pandemic. It is rough, there's no way to sugar coat that. The only advice I can give is to look up some of the ways that are suggested to deal with anxiety. I read a piece by an astronaut who talked about his coping system for handling long term isolation. It was a great read.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

And you think lifting restrictions will relieve anxiety issues?

When the death toll skyrockets, people will be more anxious then ever.

What an acceptable death toll for a return to normality/

Not that a return to normaltiy is possible while the disease is still spreading.

This is the bingo. The quarantine is not the root cause of the anxiety, it is the pandemic. We simply can't make that go away for now, so finding some resources to help cope in the meantime is the way to go.

10 minutes ago, Noctis said:

And all those who had family members that got infected or even died. Same goes for close friends

33 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

That's a nasty jump in the daily US death toll. Already at 9 pm EST.

US is approaching 20k new cases A DAY now, too. I'm afraid the situation is going to get very bad here. 1k daily deaths in about 5 to 8 days seems likely. I see us reaching 2k deaths a day at some point in April. This sucks. It's only going to get worse if restrictions are relaxed. I read that GM and FCA are planning to resume production. The executives there are effing loony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, doublejack said:

US is approaching 20k new cases A DAY now, too. I'm afraid the situation is going to get very bad here. 1k daily deaths in about 5 to 8 days seems likely. I see us reaching 2k deaths a day at some point in April. This sucks. It's only going to get worse if restrictions are relaxed. I read that GM and FCA are planning to resume production. The executives there are effing loony.

Many autoworkers are way above 50, mind you.

About GM:

GM temporarily cuts pay by 20% for 69,000 salaried workers amid coronavirus pandemic

Published Thu, Mar 26 20205:15 PM EDTUpdated 3 hours ago

Michael Wayland@MikeWayland

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/26/gm-temporarily-cuts-pay-by-20percent-for-69000-salaried-workers-amid-coronavirus-pandemic.html

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Noctis said:

No, I was thinking of medical personnel at any of the inundated hospitals. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Im not ready for this. 😞 

2 hours ago, KJsooner said:

If these social distancing things aren’t really working according to European countries, than I think Trump should re-open the country. Not many people will be happy to be locked up for 2-3 weeks. The planet could blink us out of existence. We need to stop living in fear.

When you give up like this you're basically shutting down hospitals for everyone since they'll be filled beyond capacity. 

Your also letting most people who will need the hospital straight up die.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

When you give up like this you're basically shutting down hospitals for everyone since they'll be filled beyond capacity. 

Your also letting most people who will need the hospital straight up die.

There’s no great alternative with this virus. If the USA opens back up on April 14-16th, then the virus will spread again like wildfire like many have said. I agree with the CDC dude who said we need to quarantine for 8 weeks, but that just isn’t an option. You can’t quarantine 330 million people for that long. I think at some point the virus will reach a limit with which it kills. I hope it is within the next 5-8 days. Then we get a dip. Hopefully. I’m remaining optimistic.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

There are gonna be a shitload of people with PTSD. :( 

Yeah,. The pressures are an equivilent of a combat situation ,and the hopspitals are the eqvilient of a combat zone.

Edited by dudalb

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

There’s no great alternative with this virus. If the USA opens back up on April 14-16th, then the virus will spread again like wildfire like many have said. I agree with the CDC dude who said we need to quarantine for 8 weeks, but that just isn’t an option. You can’t quarantine 330 million people for that long. I think at some point the virus will reach a limit with which it kills. I hope it is within the next 5-8 days. Then we get a dip. Hopefully. I’m remaining optimistic.

Every medical expert says otherwise. It won't peak for at least three weeks.It's not going happen in 8 days.  This is not  optimism, it is wishful thinking. It is not going to end anytime soon.

Unless, of course, you trust Trump's "Gut Feelings and Instincts" more then science.

Edited by dudalb

And all the experts saying Trump's county by county scheme as an unworkable mess. Microbes pay no attention to the county line.

Posted (edited)

Here in Ukraine we are heading to a total disaster. In February and March hundreds of thousands workers (many illegal) returned home from Europe. Many came from Italy after a total lockdown there. The first wave arrived without any restrictions. The second wave did everything to cheat authorities and rushed to their homes mostly in rural areas and small towns.  Many of them were already ill. 

A brilliant advice: take a huge dose of  antipyretic drugs before border crossing and it will be fine. Now in some villages you have people with cough and fever nearly in every house. Some of them have "a normal flu" but many are not. You tell ten people to self-isolate, seven or eight will probably run away on dont care a shit about it.  The public health system is totally ruined by an imbecile. The only reason she became a minister is good connections in Washington.   The tests for COVID  are a total joke.  Some guy from my city had 4 quick tests. Two were positive, two were negative. They let him go for a week and admiited again later. That's why we got only 196 cases so far. 

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Every medical expert says otherwise. It won't peak for at least three weeks.It's not gong happen in 8 days.  This is not  optimism, it is wishful thinking. It is not going to end anytime soon.

Unless, of course, you trust Trump's "Gut Feelings and Instincts" more then science.

So you’re content with letting our society collapse in the USA. I’m glad you’re not running our country. 🙄 

Ugh I need to find something to do with my evenings other then laying in bed refreshing worldometers coronavirus tracking page. It's not a healthy use of my time...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

So you’re content with letting our society collapse in the USA. I’m glad you’re not running our country. 🙄 

It is going to collapse if the virus continues to spread.

People will be too scared to go back to work.

And I am scared to death we have a moron running this country.

And I repeat what is an acceptable number of deaths to "reopen the economy".

Edited by dudalb

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

YOU, PREVIOUSLY:

"I’m ready for this non-event to pass us by."

"Are we up to 100 deaths a day yet??"

"Blame everything going wrong on the virus."

And now you want to suggest stopping precaution because you think Europe shows that precautions are doomed to fail?

Give me a break.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

23 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Im not ready for this. 😞 

That's the 1st step...no one ever is.

But, no one is every really ready for the trials life throws them.  That's why I fall back on military lessons from my younger days - my favorite has always been adapt and overcome.  Right now, our biggest jobs, if we aren't on the front lines of medical, logistics, and essential services are to adapt to a wildly changing lifestyle and to not become a problem, but instead any tiny solution we can be.  

BTW I think it's a good bet that three weeks from  now, Trump will deny he ever said the country will be open by Easter.