DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Kind of hard to have an economy if bodies are piling in the street.

Bodies will be piling in the streets from unemployed people without Money to buy food. Hell, bodies are probably piling if people start fighting others for whatever they find to eat and live. 

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

That's what's happening here in Brazil. Thousands of Jobs getting lost. It's freaking crazy.

That's why the President is asking for a new approach ( sick people and/or people from the risk group stay at home and others will slowly return to work ).

It's a very hard situation. So, yeah, I try to look at both sides.

And the President of Brazil is a fascist dictator;worse he is a stupid one. Don't beleive anything he says.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The first case of coronavirus happened 1 month ago. We've been facing this situation for a  little more than 1 month.

Nobody knows what'll happen next week or next month. I doubt we'll have 10000 cases next week already. Besides, there have been reports of people getting cured. So, the numbers will have to change.

Like I said, nobody knows but everybody knows our Economy can't stop. We'll see what happens. 

You already have 10.000 cases. You can bet on that. 

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Bodies will be piling in the streets from unemployed people without Money to buy food. Hell, bodies are probably piling if people start fighting others for whatever they find to eat and live. 

What is an accetable number of deaths to restart the economy?

You cannot restart the economy until the virus is controlled. Period, end of discussion.

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

That's what's happening here in Brazil. Thousands of Jobs getting lost. It's freaking crazy.

That's why the President is asking for a new approach ( sick people and/or people from the risk group stay at home and others will slowly return to work ).

Well, regardless of the outbreak or not KS will resume business on the 16th of April. They won’t have a choice. Good luck with your situation in Brazil. 👍 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

You already have 10.000 cases. You can bet on that. 

GIven the size of Brazil, they have a lot more then 10'000 cases.

12 hours ago, doublejack said:

That's not a counterargument. It shows a failure to understand the depth of the economic turmoil that this pandemic has sparked. 3 million in the US losing their jobs in a week. This week's number will be even worse, too, as yet more things shut down. People are NOT going to return back to life as normal any time soon, regardless of whether Trump or anyone else says to go back to work or school.

Prepare for a very deep and very long economic downturn. It is coming. You can't wish it away.

You aren’t looking at the reason behind those numbers.  In my original post, and posts that have followed, I was not downplaying the long term scarring effects that happen with recessions and depressions.  I was pointing out however how significant the Great Depression was and how that circumstance is a poor comparison to the economic conditions we face now.

In simplest form: We are facing an external demand shock that is being dealt with expansionary fiscal  and monetary policy, unlike in the Great Depression which was a collapse of a fundamental institution that the government responded to with counterproductive, contractionary policy.  

There’s certainly some long term scarring effects from this recession that’ll need to be addressed.  And these scarring effects could very likely be on the worse end of recessions post-WW2.  But nothing’s changed in the last week to think we’re heading for a massive slowdown that’ll last over a decade.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And the President of Brazil is a fascist dictator;worse he is a stupid one. Don't beleive anything he says.

Who are you to tell me what to believe? It's not just about what he says. I literally went to streets some hours ago to buy food. People are saying the same things and asking the same questions ( "what will I do without Money", "how will I survive with 3 kids and no Money nd no Jobs" ). 

Who should I believe? You? You don't even live here and you don't know what happens where I live. It's quite unfortunate to see posts like yours. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Well, regardless of the outbreak or not KS will resume business on the 16th of April. They won’t have a choice. Good luck with your situation in Brazil. 👍 

Thanks. We hope things get better. Not everyone has a home based job like me, so I feel for them. So many friends, so many people losing their Jobs. :(

12 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yes the numbers are gonna get worse but I seriously doubt unemployment rates are gonna come close to the levels of the great depression unless the country is on lockdown for months. Even there is a chance it does, we haven't been affected by the pandemic long enough to say it with such certainty. I'm sorry but this is just fearmongering garbage.

It’s not just about reaching peak Great Depression unemployment numbers.  To be worse than that depression you’d have to hit them and have massive unemployment numbers be sustained for a very prolonged period of time (years, not months).  That’s part of what I’m meaning when I’m saying it’s foolish to compare this to the Great Depression.

As of now, it does not seem plausible to think the 2020s as a decade will be defined by the COVID Recession.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What is an accetable number of deaths to restart the economy?

You cannot restart the economy until the virus is controlled. Period, end of discussion.

You can't fight the vírus or help contaminated people if you don't have any Money. I don't know where do you live, but money is definitely not infinite here.

If you break the Economy, you break any country. Can you find Jobs if your country literally has broken? 

In less than 3 weeks, there'll be riots here. It's so predictable. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

It's not a new approach, it is what every idiotic European government tried - openly in the UK. It didn't go well and they changed their mind.

14 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Well at least she got the right lesson from it, and is giving good advice now. I fear more the upcoming instagram posts from teenagers "I got the corona and it was no big deal really".

Edited by MrGlass2

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It’s not just about reaching peak Great Depression unemployment numbers.  To be worse than that depression you’d have to hit them and have massive unemployment numbers be sustained for a very prolonged period of time (years, not months).  That’s part of what I’m meaning when I’m saying it’s foolish to compare this to the Great Depression.

As of now, it does not seem plausible to think the 2020s as a decade will be defined by the COVID Recession.

I don’t see this being Great Depression level bad. Not one bit. The central plains suffered the worse drought in history. I just don’t see that happening here. 

3 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I don’t see this being Great Depression level bad. Not one bit. The central plains suffered the worse drought in history. I just don’t see that happening here. 

That wasn’t even the primary cause of what made the Great Depression so bad (which speaks of how bad the Depression was)

16 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

KS will not resume business on the 16th. They won’t have a choice.

I think your generation is pretty much spoiled and you are just confirming it here. During WW2 people survived for years with barely anything to eat and you crying just like the world ended after a week of quarantine restriction or even less.  And not so long ago after dissolution of Soviet Union many had situation like this here for years. Also in a crisis like this we can see actually how many peoply are working in "non essentional business". You can totally shut down it and the humanity won't lose anything.  And millions of unemployed can do somenthing more useful for humanity and society. Of course it won't happen, just saying. 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)

Man, I can’t believe we spent one month where I was in full on Cassandra mode because people weren’t appreciating the seriousness of the virus, and then the period where it was honestly starting to seem like everyone understood only lasted like, one week. And now it looks like we’re going to have another month or something of a bunch of people somehow still completely underestimating it. Mind boggling stuff.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2