DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

That's not what I'm saying. He doesnt come close to Trump in terms of indiocy and the pure horror of what he's doing. I am NOT saying people shouldn't be raking Trump over the coals right now. I was simply making the point nobody's talking about the shit Ttudeau pulls, or the left in general. It seems, politically, most things the left do or say are ignored or forgiven. The main point is the conversation in society right now, and certainly on here, is extremely biased.

Anyway, I dont want to make a big deal of it. As I've said on here, I'm sick of arguing with everyone here. I just wanted to add on to what @Marcus Cato was saying.

We should call out idiotic things done by anyone at this point. But trump bothers me with his absolute lack of empathy in a pandemic situation where empathy is most needed. 

But no one should get a free hand. So keep bringing up anything wrong done by Trudeau or any other leader(like the stupid brazillian president or UK prime minister who must be feeling it today for sure). I dont think there has been any perfect leader. I am most impressed by Korea as a rogue cult caused massive breakout but they did massive testing, contact tracking and quickly brought it under control. Taiwan/HK have never let it go out of control. Singapore is doing a great job as well.

Outside these countries I am not impressed by other country. Most places have done limited tests and so numbers have to taken with a grain of salt. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, dudalb said:

This is totally expected. It takes time for the body to build up immune systems. Of course it;s possible to catch the virus  more then once.

The majority (even vast majority) of these "re-infections" as @The Panda mentioned, are from false negatives before completely recovery, or detections of remaining viral DNA even after recovery has occurred. The tests detect viral DNA, not live virus.

The vast majorty of patients are expected to have at least short-term immunity.

Generally, immunity to a disease will actually be strongest immediately after infection. Catching a virus again usually requires that the virus has mutated enough to avoid detection, with more time elapsing making this more likely), or otherwise for antibody counts to fall enough that they no longer provide full protection. For viruses that don't mutate quickly, that's usually on the order of decades.

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

This will fall on dead ears here. A lot of people here have made up their minds, unfortunately.

It's the same in the media. The far left Liberals and Justin Trudeau attempted a major power grab here in Canada, yet theres almost no news about it. The media here has Trump as a useful distraction.

This is so very off-topic, but I feel obliged to correct the record. It was reported in all the major newspapers. It was even right near the top on the Toronto Star webpage and that's the newspaper that gets called the "Red Star". It obviously didn't stay prominent there or elsewhere, because the Liberals relented, and there's a lot going on right now.

Also, the Liberals are not a far-left party. They're a mostly status-quo party with some progressive leanings.

They're considered to be quite close to the political centre among Western political parties. Maybe that's far left of where you are, but that's not usually how the term is used. I hope you would agree that a Communist calling the Liberals far-right would be ridiculous.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 6
12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I wasn't trying to say it was an end-all, be-all or even that it wasn't a very optimistic estimate.  But I thought as a present snap-shot look at things, it was interesting.  Especially being able to look at potential ICU bed shortages over time.

Mostly, I thought folks might be interested in the compare and contrast of various states, from what we know right now.

===

Also, if 80k deaths as of Aug is the optimistic scenario, I think that also puts things in perspective.  As does the top of the cone of 162k deaths.

I know, I think my main concern from overly optimistic estimates such as that is if they’re the more prevalent voice they could potentially alleviate some of the pressure for cities and states to not try and increase ICU and ventilator capacities as much as they can.  Preparing for the worst is one of the best ways to avoid having the worst come to fruition.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aristis said:

So it seems german government wants to change its Testing policy to be a bit more like South Korea (which they are pretty late for...). It's annoying we don't have the numbers of tests done here but it seems that at the moment Germany does (or at least is capable of) 300,000 to 500,00 per week. Until mid-April 100,000 per day shall be possible and 200,000 per day until the end of April.

According to the german health minister atm we test to confirm but we shall test to be ahead.

I heard that Germany doesn't record death cause as CoV if they die of an underlying health condition, they record the health condition itself even if CoV is present, is that true?

1 minute ago, DeeCee said:

Again with the "we" and the "they".  Last time I checked, the US was "us".

===

Can't even drop a winona or apoc at this point.  Just fucking sad.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I heard that Germany doesn't record death cause as CoV if they die of an underlying health condition, they record the health condition itself even if CoV is present, is that true?

That will keep numbers down...

35 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I read that it isn't strictly determined, some do and some don't. Doesn't make it easier, especially because I didn't find any clue which is the prevalent way...

Edited by Aristis

343 is my magic number. Or my cursed number. It follows me everywhere. Sometimes I glance at the clock, it's 3:43. One day Microsoft announced a new gaming studio, called 343. I'll end up with 343 points in an online match of Rocket League. I can't escape it.

Happy page 343 everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Holy fuck shit:

Can we re-open impeachment proceedings now please?

giphy.gif

===

I'd say "no fucking words" except I do have them.  They'd probably get me warned, mind, so let's just stick with "No FUCKING words".

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The first paragraph of this article:

Together, you have a collective 16 years as president, during which you dealt with a number of crises: the September 11 attacks, two wars, the collapse of the financial system, and the Ebola and H1N1 outbreaks. Faced with these events, you marshaled the vast forces of our government, trusted our best experts, told hard truths, led capable teams on complex missions to tackle these emergencies, and called upon our citizens to unite in patriotic spirit to ride out the storm together. Neither of you were perfect presidents—you both would be the first to admit that—and you each have your detractors.

I couldn't continue after this. George W. Bush? You mean the man who ignored the intelligence community about warnings regarding Al-Qaeda? Who spent countless days on vacation? Who basically did so little to prevent the 9/11 attacks? Katrina? The financial collapse?

Or maybe outright lie to the world and start a war with Iraq which massively destabilised it and much of the region surrounding it...leading to the birth of ISIS and other fringe groups...his lies are literally the reason why there are countless refugees from the Middle East around the world, and a reason why xenophobic groups exploded. 

Tsk, tsk, Tele...you should know better, Grandpa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I couldn't continue after this. George W. Bush? You mean the man who ignored the intelligence community about warnings regarding Al-Qaeda? Who spent countless days on vacation? Who basically did so little to prevent the 9/11 attacks? Katrina? The financial collapse?

It's from the Bulwark, website created from the corpse of The Weekly Standard i.e. the absolute worst of Bush-era propagandists.

Yeah I mean, if he wasnt already, Trump is officially entering dangerous territory. If he was always looking for the moment when he could split the country quite literally, this is it. If governors and the people were looking to stand up and openly defy him, this is it.

• Like 1