DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That takes more votes tho. :(

(though if there's enough votes to convict in the Senate there's almost certainly enough votes in the House to reach 2/3rds as well)

BTW, in case folks don't know what I'm talking about here, the main problem with using the 25th Amendment is that Trump gets to fight it in the House and Senate.

Let's say a majority of the Cabinet says, "We've ducking had enough; he's as mad as a hatter" and votes to say he can no longer adequately execute the duties of the presidency. Trump can then say "Uh huh, I'm the sanest, most genius prez ever" and challenge the ouster.

To keep him on the sidelines both the House and the Senate have to vote in a 2/3rds majority that the president is mentally/physically unable to be president.  And even then, they might have to keep voting on it, as it doesn't actually remove him from the presidency, it just establishes Mike Pence as Acting President.  Though that's admittedly a grey area I'd have to check on (seeing if Congress would have to keep voting on it or not if Trump kept saying he was fit to serve).

====

Now the one main advantage for using good ol' number 25 that isn't discussed as much, IMO, is that it is inherently a medical opinion while impeachment is inherently a political one.  It might, and I do stress might, be easier to sell folks on "Trump is mad as a hatter; it's time for him to go" than "Trump is a crooked pol and we can't afford him right now."  It's something of a figleaf and theoretically could be enough of one.

So there is that.

I'd rather just get rid of him for good though. :lol: 

Just read the US allowed per fast procedure a few / several new test versions.

Is that a reason for the high increase of 18000 new cases within a day in the US? Like. ore tested, more found? Did those new tests even already reach the use for the population?

I am more up to date with the varying European developments....

9 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

343 is my magic number. Or my cursed number. It follows me everywhere. Sometimes I glance at the clock, it's 3:43. One day Microsoft announced a new gaming studio, called 343. I'll end up with 343 points in an online match of Rocket League. I can't escape it.

Happy page 343 everyone!

Hungary has exactly 343 confirmed cases as of today morning. :o

• Sad 1
23 hours ago, peludo said:

Spain - Friday

64,059 positive cases (+7,871 relative to Thursday) +14.01%

4,858 deaths (+769) +18.81%

9,357 healed (+2,342) +33.39%

The positive cases data is the least accurate since there are estimations that we could have 500,000 cases in the whole country. The lack of tests is the reason of this gap. Anyway, it is the first day that the number of new cases is lower than the 2 previous days.

The number of deaths is bigger than yesterday, but the percentage increase is a bit lower.

And healed people rate keep being over 30%. Again, the best data.

Spain - Saturday

72,248 positive cases (+8,189 relative to Friday) +12.78%

5,690 deaths (+832) +17.13%

12,285 healed (+2,928) +31.29%

Another biggest day for both deaths and healed people. It seems we are reaching the peak but it is hard to see 700-800 deaths every day just for this reason.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5
1 hour ago, misafeco said:

Hungary has exactly 343 confirmed cases as of today morning. :o

I see, its about the ~ special number... but that are still low numbers 

actual infected count in Germany is 48.582 = 6294 more than yesterday (but increased tests also)

Death toll is 325 = 55 more than the day before.

They increase the daily test amount already, but starting April the amount will be higher a lot again. Sounds like we have it better than a lot of other countries in that regard (also how many intensive care beds per 100000 citizens), but way worse than e.g. the test capabilities of South Korea.

When the new test versions will be made accessible that should increase again a lot. If they do not need for those the same amount of people / equipment / special rooms.... Bcs for now the cost reduction over the years, those reduced capacities still only allow the tests of people with already existing clear signs, not sure inhowfar they can increase that to mass tests (that I think should have been done from early on, if the capacities would have been existent).

For the moment our health care system on the hospitals side is far from its limits, hence why they fly in bad / breathing support needing  ICU cases from France and Italy

I think in 2 weeks we will get / will have gottten a far better ~ picture of the real problems to come

Yesterday a 16y without ‚before-problems‘ died in Paris, maybe cases like that will help to get the earnest of the situation into the brains/mind of some younger ones, who still seem not to understand

edit: text is mine, I only copied in the exact numbers, just in case some thinks the other format means its something official

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 5

We're still far from a peak; in Austria there are less than 150 people in IC atm which means lots of beds still empty (Austria has about 2.500 IC beds, with about 1.500 available; others are occupied by "normal" diseases). Peak will (hopefully) be around early May or even later ... numbers are doubling every 5 days at the current rate which is a lot better than 2 weeks ago but not good enough yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

We're still far from a peak; in Austria there are less than 150 people in IC atm which means lots of beds still empty (Austria has about 2.500 IC beds, with about 1.500 available; others are occupied by "normal" diseases). Peak will (hopefully) be around early May or even later ... numbers are doubling every 5 days at the current rate which is a lot better than 2 weeks ago but not good enough yet.

doubling time here seems actually also to be around every 5 days, the goal seems to be for it to be every 10 days. If that will happen to a degree, that is, what I hope to be more clear in roughly 2 weeks.

Not reaching it, but seeing if there is a chance for reaching it within a not-too-far-in-the-future time-frame.

• Like 2

New record of victims in #Spain. In 24 hours another 832 people died: the total sale at 5,690. The Madrid Ministry of Health, quoted by El Pais, announces that 72,248 people are infected, 40,630 are hospitalized, 4,575 are in intensive care and 12,285 are recovered.

• Sad 3
10 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think this Hate China stuff is going over the top.

CCP  is to blame for allowing to get out of control.

Add in the fact that the origin of the Spanish flu and the The Plague originated in China as well lends some bitterness

9 hours ago, JB33 said:

I dont know, it's pretty racist.

Y'all think everything is racist. You use it like water

9 hours ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I think President Trump should be punished also for some of his handling of the Corona virus. (By means of impeachment, of course). 

WHO should be defunded and punished.

They knew there was a pandemic and said to keep flights out of China going.

So a Chinese could not go to Macau, the Great Wall or a movie, all shut down, but they could go to Vegas, the Roman Colluseum  or Japanese Cinema. 

Trump wanted to shut down flighrs early and was called... guess... yes.. he was called .....water

His approval is the highest ever. 

Impeachment is a wet dream

He will be re-elected.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Not looking good in U.K

Here some comment on Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his health minister Matt Hancock both being infected too.

And Prince Charles, in a concerned way based e.g. on his age.

I really hope Dyson (I do not like the owner at all for other reasons) really manages to get breathing support machines to work in the needed way, not sure if those will be fully workable in an ICU way. Virtual hugs and best wishes

UK rises are much faster than I was expecting.

I'd like to know how many people survive after going on a ventilator because right now, there's plenty to go around and they don't seem to be helping.

1 hour ago, POTUS 2020 said:

WHO should be defunded and punished.

They knew there was a pandemic and said to keep flights out of China going.

So a Chinese could not go to Macau, the Great Wall or a movie, all shut down, but they could go to Vegas, the Roman Colluseum  or Japanese Cinema. 

Trump wanted to shut down flights early and was called... guess... yes.. he was called .....water

The World Health Organization's response after the 31 jan US ban on travels from China was: "these is no need for measures that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade” and "don't spread fear and stigma with travel bans".. and now the people that are calling Trump's incompetence in handling the crisis are the same who were calling him "racist" over the travel bans in early february. Oh, the hypocrisy.

Edited by Marcus Cato
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The only ones with sensible policies are the monster raving looney party.

They put the majority of the carts here away, the articles with limitations have signs at the shelf, cashier does not allow more too. Also limit how many people can enter, rule of thumbs per 10 square meter 1 customer at max. Many signs everywhere to remember the distance, tape markers at the floor near cashiers and service stations. Oh, and loudspeaker reminders to please pay with a card, what is not a typical thing here for groceries. Only counts for stores who actually have the card readers, e.g. a butcher here does not have one of those.

In a store in Europe they solved it this way:

1 article = normal price, if you pick 2 you pay 100x times the price for each both = roughly 200 times the price for 2 items. That worked there seemingly too.

47 minutes ago, AndyK said:

UK rises are much faster than I was expecting.

I'd like to know how many people survive after going on a ventilator because right now, there's plenty to go around and they don't seem to be helping.

I understand it this way: if the patient can not breath enough / does not get enough oxygen into the lungs, the only chance is the ventilator. If the patients overcomes it, then the patient only still lives bcs the ventilation, if not....

The lung gets affected in a way that does not allow the normal oxygen exchange, at least not to the fullest

I do not know about the posting website, but that picture is shown here in German news outlets

I tried to find an English spoken outlet, with the names there listed I guess you can get more information

https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/03/coronavirus-virtual-reality-helps-gw-hospital-see-inside-lungs-of-covid-19-patient/

2 hours ago, POTUS 2020 said:

Trump wanted to shut down flighrs early and was called... guess... yes.. he was called .....water

Source ? Was it not way too late like the rest of the western world and was it not never an actual shut down of flight (i.e. US citizen could came back)

https://www.flightradar24.com/

They are still going on to this day

Edited by Barnack
12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Germany yesterday to today increase ~ 11%

Increase ~ 5400

Total now ~ 52800

careful with weekend numbers ... it's the same in Austria; while labs work 24/7, the processing and reporting of the results takes a bit longer on weekends, at least that was the case here in Austria. (Of course I'm gladly proven wrong Monday!!!! - in Austria, we had our first <10% increase today but again, I take this Sunday number with two grains of salt ... but would be hopeful news)

• Like 2