DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

9 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

Well, in that case so many other media outlets could be sued. Oh, i love this one from The Washington Post from feb 1:  "Get a grippe, America. The flu is a much bigger threat than coronavirus, for now."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/time-for-a-reality-check-america-the-flu-is-a-much-bigger-threat-than-coronavirus-for-now/2020/01/31/46a15166-4444-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

And in january The Washighton Post just settled the $250 million lawsuit in the Covington case. For sure they wouldn't want another suit.

Did you read the article?  Didn't think so.

Feb 1st 2020

Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a member of the government task force coordinating the response to the coronavirus, said he is often asked why the government is focusing on coronavirus when so many are dying of seasonal influenza.

“I often get asked: ‘We have an influenza outbreak here, we have about 8,000 deaths already, 100,000 hospitalizations. Why are we paying such attention’ ” to coronavirus?

“The reason is, despite the morbidity and mortality with influenza, there’s a certainty of seasonal flu. I can tell you as we get into March and April, the cases are going to go down.”

Until officials can offer that kind of certainty about the coronavirus, even if it does not seem as dangerous as the flu, anxiety levels will not decline, Bufka said. While public health officials are urging handwashing, staying home when sick and keeping a distance from obviously ill people, Bufka suggests a different calculation for mental health.

The article is quoting what the Federal Government was saying at that time.

When the WP realized that they couldn't trust the information coming from the  Trump administration they went to real expects and their coverage changed to match the real facts.

Fox still is spreading misinformation.

That said they really can't be sued because they are basically just repeating what Trump says

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

That is what the Vanity Fair reporter is saying, that the NY Times reported the Murdochs were taking Covid-19 seriously behind the scenes while Hannity, Trish Regan and others were still on the airwaves downplaying the threat in mid-March. And maybe people who put trust in their "news" endangered themselves, but wouldn't have if the reporting had been different or reflected the off-camera fears being expressed at the network.

I doubt it will be a slam-dunk by any stretch, but there's going to be a lot of death and pain resulting from Covid-19, and lawyers have taken on much, much flimsier cases in the past....

"Hard Cases Make for Bad Law"

Along those lines there is this which I personally share more than a little sympathy:

Now it turns out that the tweet this person is referencing (Texas closing its borders with Louisiana in its entierty) was mistaken and thus deleted.

But I think in a general sense, he's right.  There's going to be a lot of colliding between the courts and the executive (both state and federal) coming up and it ain't gonna get pretty.

The real worry isn't what happens in the clusterfuck of a pandemic.  No, it's what happens afterwards as people say "Well, I got to use powers X, Y, and Z to deal with this emergency, try to stop me from continuing to use them."

To tie this back into the original discussion, be wary of supporting the ideas of lawsuits against the press that can't also be used as a cudgel by billionaires and massive conglomerates/interest groups against things they don't like.  Because I assure you any weapon that is used once against Fox News and crew will be used ten times as much (if not more so) in the other direction.

And we already know this thanks to the infamous Gawker case.

tl'dr: Never throw a weapon at an opponent that you don't want to be picked up and used against you.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

"Hard Cases Make for Bad Law"

Along those lines there is this which I personally share more than a little sympathy:

Now it turns out that the tweet this person is referencing (Texas closing its borders with Louisiana in its entierty) was mistaken and thus deleted.

But I think in a general sense, he's right.  There's going to be a lot of colliding between the courts and the executive (both state and federal) coming up and it ain't gonna get pretty.

The real worry isn't what happens in the clusterfuck of a pandemic.  No, it's what happens afterwards as people say "Well, I got to use powers X, Y, and Z to deal with this emergency, try to stop me from continuing to use them."

To tie this back into the original discussion, be wary of supporting the ideas of lawsuits against the press that can't also be used as a cudgel by billionaires and massive conglomerates/interest groups.  Because I assure you any weapon that is used once against Fox News and crew will be used ten times as much (if not more so) in the other direction.

And we already know this thanks to the infamous Gawker case.

tl'dr: Never throw a weapon at an opponent that you don't want to be picked up and used against you.

Finally this isn't me saying there's no merit to the idea of holding Fox News and similar folks responsible for some of their actions.  I'm open to some discussion on that front.

Just... Be aware of the box you might be opening in one's zeal to punish Fox News, as it were.

Edited by Porthos
Missed a couple of words
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Did you read the article?  Didn't think so.

We know liberals are not going to take advice from Fox or Trump, but they are going to read what The Washington Post is saying. And most people don't even read long articles anyway, they just read headlines.  

Edited by Marcus Cato
  • Not Cool 1

@Porthos You are accurate - the issue isn't so much what happens now but how law is used post all of this. Never let a crisis go without being put to good use is an ideal used by all sides of a debate. I have this argument all the time when it comes to religion - don't advocate shutting one brand down by law as once its on the books it will eventually be turned on you (note this has nothing to do with the religious conversations here, just an actual example from my world where people miss the point of what happens in the future.)

@dudalb I love you calling that church in Louisiana part of  fundy religions - its an example of how different perspectives and experiences determine our view and verbiage usage. Having grown up in actual fundy religions I wouldn't come close to calling it that so it just cracks me up :lol: (not that they are much better mind you, selling holy handkerchiefs as protections puts them decisively in the fraud camp regardless of yours or mine's view on religion...) 

3 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

We know liberals are not going to take advice from Fox or Trump, but they are going to read what The Washington Post is saying. And most people don't even read long articles anyway, they just read headlines.  

don't make yourself look worse by missing the point of Andy's comment - the Post has backed off Trump's stance considerably since that article you mentioned... play fair Cato, lest you back yourself into a bad corner.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

Your reply makes zero sense in context of the post you were replying to.  

As @Porthos pointed out... there is big difference from posting something that turns out not to be true and then correcting it when you know better and continued posting of what you know to be non-factual data.

WP is the former.  Fox is the latter.

And why do you even care?  You're not from the USA.  Why do you care what the liberals and conservatives here are doing?

• Like 8
40 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

Well, in that case so many other media outlets could be sued. Oh, i love this one from The Washington Post from feb 1:  "Get a grippe, America. The flu is a much bigger threat than coronavirus, for now."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/time-for-a-reality-check-america-the-flu-is-a-much-bigger-threat-than-coronavirus-for-now/2020/01/31/46a15166-4444-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

And in january The Washighton Post just settled the $250 million lawsuit in the Covington case. For sure they wouldn't want another suit.

1.You dug up one article from almost 2 months ago that’s a fairly balanced look at where things stood at the time in the early days. 

2.Research before posting. 

• Like 6
1 minute ago, AndyLL said:

Your reply makes zero sense in context of the post you were replying to.  

As @Porthos pointed out... there is big difference from posting something that turns out not to be true and then correcting it when you know better and continued posting of what you know to be non-factual data.

WP is the former.  Fox is the latter.

And why do you even care?  You're not from the USA.  Why do you care what the liberals and conservatives here are doing?

Like, if folks want to "both sides" this and criticize someone, I'm down and groovy with criticizing New York's mayor,  Bill de Blasio:

De Blasio Says There Isn’t Time to Focus on Missteps

By  193 Comments

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) told CNN he doesn’t want to focus on the past after being asked about comments he made two weeks ago urging New Yorkers to go about their daily lives despite the coronavirus outbreak.

Said De Blasio: “We should not be focusing, in my view, on anything looking back on any level of government right now.”

While he has done a better job than Trump (low bar is low), IMO he still has very Trump-ian instincts and attitudes at times.  

But picking on a headline... a headline in early Feb and comparing it to the coverage that FNC was giving not two weeks ago?  No equivalence at all.

None what so ever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I imagine it must have been the case a bit everywhere, here hospital staff were stealing so many mask they had to put locking / checking mechanism in place for them.

https://www.clickorlando.com/inside-edition/2020/03/11/why-some-hospitals-are-keeping-surgical-masks-under-lock-and-key/

One hospital in Glendale, California, is taking special precautions after noticing their supply was dwindling.

Edited by Barnack
Just now, MrGlass2 said:

If it's 200k dead, would it be a pretty good job?

It is extremely hard to tell because the model of how many death if we would have done nothing are still up in the air, but if in the first 18 months of this there is only 200K excess death caused by this, depending of how many death caused by how much economic downturn, it would be quite the good job I would say.

The would be what just 65% more than 2 bad flu season back to back.

I think to judge how good a country response was to this, the science about how dangerous it was would need to get better.

• Like 2