DeeCee

Coronavirus | COVID-19 | Global Pandemic | PLEASE KEEP DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9M6K9vSUM&feature=youtu.be&t=884

In this new upload from Peak Prosperity, it shows why wearing a mask works. There is an analysis of a video filmed with special techniques of two people talking, and the video process captures the particles that are coming out of their mouths while talking, and some of the particles fall to the ground but some still are floating around in the air, and they big enough to be captured in the video process which means they can definitely contain lots of viruses. Watch from 14:44 to 16:27 for that specific part.  

5 hours ago, AndyK said:

That's just a dumb comment.

There is clearly a disjoint in the death/heal/recovered statistics that needs to be highlighted, its been there from day 1 and no one was picking up on it.

I was just raising alarms that in the rush to secure ventilators, nobody is actually checking if they are actually going to produce the results people seem to think they will and that article pretty much confirmed it.

I have first hand experience in what it's like to put someone through that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Seasonal flu can have 60K excess death in a bad season, in the United state, an average season is around 25-30K death.

2 season in a row of bad regular seasonal flu could make over 100k death in a 18 month windows.

80K for this, would look like a giant success, the most optimistic people talk not so long ago were in the 300k to 800k type of windows, with the more pessimistics talked around 1.5-2.5M (on this message board we had debate about 2-4% of the population, 6.36 to 12m death, for what feel like less than a week ago)

I said on another board...if the US total deaths at the end of this breakout is 1/2 the European big 5 total deaths (Germany, Italy, Spain, France, UK), it will be an outstanding job...if it's between 1/2 and 1, it's an okay job...and if it's more than the big 5 combined, it's a disaster...

Edited by TwoMisfits
1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I said on another board...if the US total deaths at the end of this breakout is 1/2 the European big 5 total deaths (Germany, Italy, Spain, France, UK), it will be an outstanding job...if it's between 1/2 and 1, it's an okay job...and if it's more than the big 5 combined, it's a disaster...

You mean given the hand we dealt ourselves?

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

You mean given the hand we dealt ourselves?

Given we have about equal populations and health care standards (I think the US has about 15 million more people than those 5 combined, but it's close).  It's comparing western democratic-esque countries with 1st world health systems against each other.

And systems that have the same "burdens" (dealing with people who really like their freedoms, who assert their rights, who won't just accept government action by fiat, etc)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But all these countries have done a bad to terrible job.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, doublejack said:

Same for the NHL and NASCAR. The NFL seems to think their draft is going to happen next month. All these sports organizations are in complete denial.

On the good news front, as I'm writing this I'm watching the second weekend of eNASCAR. Today they are racing  at virtual Texas Motor Speedway. It is pretty awesome. Almost like the real thing, and it fills the void of the lack of anything going on. Pretty awesome that 35 of the best drivers in the world can all still compete, from the safety of their own homes... and wearing shorts and in some cases no shirt lol.

The NFL draft could happen;it would just not have the usual hoopla.

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Given we have about equal populations and health care standards (I think the US has about 15 million more people than those 5 combined, but it's close).  It's comparing western democratic-esque countries with 1st world health systems against each other.

And systems that have the same "burdens" (dealing with people who really like their freedoms, who assert their rights, who won't just accept government action by fiat, etc)...

I guess what I’m saying is it feels like grading on a substantial curve. I don’t think their governments have done a particularly good job either (possible exception for Germany? and I guess Iceland?) I can’t really feel like I can say we did a “good job” if our total deaths are less than theirs. It (likely) should’ve been substantially less, all around. But maybe I’m just arguing semantics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But all these countries have done a bad to terrible job.

Under similar burdens of a free government with the people having a lot of power...

They always say democracy is messy...pandemics are one time democratic-type governments end up struggling...but who knows?  Maybe they'll also be the places where there people brew up the cures and vaccines...

I can't fault France for not being like China...b/c nothing about it or its people is.  But I can fault the US for not being as good as France (by population %)...

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I guess what I’m saying is it feels like grading on a substantial curve. I don’t think their governments have done a particularly good job either (possible exception for Germany? and I guess Iceland?) I can’t really feel like I can say we did a “good job” if our total deaths are less than theirs. It (likely) should’ve been substantially less, all around. But maybe I’m just arguing semantics.

It probably is a curve...but on this other board (a Disney one), people said in late January, certain things were impossible for the US and France to do.  While the Chinese and Japanese parks might close, it would never happen elsewhere...and then it happened...but it took longer b/c you had to overcome the people's disbelief and not just rule by fiat:)...b/c by fiat in western countries means you get recalled, protested, sued, voted out, etc...so they have to work in steps and get their folks...all of them or enough to be a supermajority...on board...

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

100k dead is an epic fail. 12k swine flu was thrown around constantly. 80k would look horrible. He set himself up for it

100K is a disaster, that would be more American dead then the total of all American wars since World War, more then Korea,Vietnam, Iraq and Afghantistan combined.

And I think one reason Trump was so sober this afternoon if finally registered with him the higher the number of death, the lower his chances in November.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Under similar burdens of a free government with the people having a lot of power...

They always say democracy is messy...pandemics are one time democratic-type governments end up struggling...but who knows?  Maybe they'll also be the places where there people brew up the cures and vaccines...

South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, New Zealand... are democracies.

I can't fault France for not being like China...b/c nothing about it or its people is.

People are the same everywhere, i.e. great hosts for this virus. Like most European countries, France has done a terrible job because they didn't pay attention to the coronavirus before it was too late.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2
Just now, MrGlass2 said:

South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, New Zealand... are democracies.

But the 1st 3 are an Eastern culture, not a Western one (most important in the legal fields)...and they also tend to be highly homogeneous ethnically...so, they have less bridges they need to build to make decisions...

I’m from New Zealand and can confirm the lockdown is working, I live on a main road and the traffic both road and footpath is down significantly. People are generally adhering to the rules, and there has been lots of support for medical staff including gifts, being able to jump to the front of the line when shopping etc. Don’t know why other western countries won’t do this, well actually it could be because their political leaders care more about money than human life 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

None of us here are scientists. (well, most of us aren't)

We're not working in some lab to develop some vaccine that will save the world. No one expects you or me to save the world.

All we can do in these trying times is be the best person we can be. Stay inside, don't go out with other people. When you do go out, treat other people with respect. Don't buy the last 10 boxes of mac & cheese and leave none for the mother of three kids coming down the aisle behind you.

And while your friends are fine with texts or emails or whatever, I'll bet you have an aunt or a mom or someone who would prefer an actual phone call. So call your mom. Or your sister or whoever.

Be a good person, that's all anybody could ask of you.

If you can be a good person, then you can hold your head high a few months from now and say that you did your part to get society through this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

I’m from New Zealand and can confirm the lockdown is working, I live on a main road and the traffic both road and footpath is down significantly. People are generally adhering to the rules, and there has been lots of support for medical staff including gifts, being able to jump to the front of the line when shopping etc. Don’t know why other western countries won’t do this, well actually it could be because their political leaders care more about money than human life 

Would you like to explain how New Zealands Lockdown differs from pretty much most european and thatfor western countries? 

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I look in such cases (outbreaks) also a lot on population density per square kilometer (or mile, not important as long as all countries/regions get the same version) too. Here (citoes world-wide too, but how much space else? Asia too rather near) the fast majority lives near together, between towns and/or cities is often only some minutes car-driving time, that can increase infection in the overall sum. Also there seem to have been infection per unexpected places, like e.g. we all around the world knew about air-plane using travelers, we in middle/west Europe did not knew about deep in the mountains expensive winter holiday centers as starter for maybe even several of the surrounding countries bigger outbreak centers (big city, big money in a way).

In China it seems it were a lot of working people who got it early, in other countries I feel like a lot more high positioned people seem to have gotten tested positive, also a difference, or?

It‘s in my POV too many rather differing details for a direct comparison.

Edited by terrestrial